PDA

View Full Version : Researcher: Moses was tripping at Mount Sinai

Microcosmos
03-04-2008, 04:22 PM
"Hypotheses have been around for 20 years connecting the beginning of religions with psychoactive materials," Shanon says. He believes the Israelites used two plants in Sinai and the Negev: one of them is wild rue, a hallucinogen used by the Bedoin to this day. However this plant is not identified with any plant mentioned in the Bible.

The acacia tree also has psychedelic properties, Shanon says, which the Israelites could have used. The acacia is mentioned frequently in the Bible, and was the type of wood of which the Ark of the Covenant was made. According to Shanon, he drank a potion prepared from a species of acacia while he was in South America, which caused similar experiences to those produced by the ayahuasca.

That makes the whole thing easier to swallow for me, not such a leap of faith. But no less valid as a religious experience. I think shamans (prophets) have a deeper connection to the spiritual when using certain naturally occuring chemicals than the average joe getting high for fun.

03-04-2008, 06:35 PM
So what youre saying is that while high he came up with the Ten commandments?

manu1959
03-04-2008, 06:41 PM
So what youre saying is that while high he came up with the Ten commandments?

no that is what a researcher came up with....micro forgot to link to the article....
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=080304120710.ad7gm7i6&show_article=1

PostmodernProphet
03-04-2008, 10:16 PM
I can't credit it....if it were true, at least one of the commandments would be "These chips are FANTASTIC!"........

gabosaurus
03-04-2008, 10:50 PM
Jesus was frequently tripping! He walked on water, turned water into wine, used a few fishes and loaves of bread to feed the masses.
Not only that, but he was nailed to the cross for hours. Obviously freaked out on opiates.

Microcosmos
03-04-2008, 10:54 PM
I don't think it makes the Ten Commandments any less legitimate. There are plenty of cultures that today use hallucinogenic "drugs" that occur naturally to enhance their spiritual experience. That's why peyote is legal for American Indians, if I'm not mistaken...

gabosaurus
03-04-2008, 11:03 PM
Can you handle Jesus as a pot head?

http://cannabis.net/articles/jesus-cannabis.html

Microcosmos
03-04-2008, 11:33 PM
The article makes a good point:

Over the centuries drugs have been used by virtually all religions. Why not Christianity?

diuretic
03-05-2008, 03:20 AM
Acacia is also called wattle. Wattle is our floral emblem.

Way to go! :laugh2: