PDA

View Full Version : New Amsterdam

Yurt
03-05-2008, 12:33 AM
ok, sorta cheesy, but i'm a time travel junkie, so i will finish it tonight, not sure i will watch again

manu1959
03-05-2008, 12:42 AM
kind of a cool show......

hjmick
03-05-2008, 01:04 AM
I thought it was good enough to watch the next episode, I'll take it one episode at a time. What I'm really waiting for is the return of Rescue Me.

diuretic
03-05-2008, 03:17 AM
I hope we get it. We had "Journeyman" for a while and it's gone. I love time travel stories as well, I remember the first time I read H.G. Wells' "The Time Traveller" years ago (that is not a pun) and loved it.

dan
03-05-2008, 09:11 AM
Whenever I hear the title, I think of Counting Crows, which kinda sours the whole thing for me.

manu1959
03-05-2008, 10:20 AM
Whenever I hear the title, I think of Counting Crows, which kinda sours the whole thing for me.

really...i thought of elvis costello

dan
03-05-2008, 11:11 AM
really...i thought of elvis costello

Sad confession: I've never listened to an Elvis Costello album in my life. I'm sure I've heard some of his songs here and there, but never went out of my way to listen to him.

What's a good album to start with, if you know?

hjmick
03-05-2008, 11:27 AM
To get a good overview of his early career with the Attractions, I would recommend their greatest hits. I realize this isn't what the purists like to hear, but I figure it's a good way to get a feel for the spectrum of the career of an artist.

In the mean time, enjoy!

k8aN0zB8Qf8

SEZrBw6mcSM

hxfWuneXWhY

AD_wmYI32sM

5fbhIzN9-p0

One of his all time best songs:

AkT-RYDcezg

This is a sample of his earlier stuff, the stuff that turned me on to him.

hjmick
03-05-2008, 11:33 AM
I hope we get it. We had "Journeyman" for a while and it's gone. I love time travel stories as well, I remember the first time I read H.G. Wells' "The Time Traveller" years ago (that is not a pun) and loved it.

I'm with you and Yurt, time travel stories always suck me in, especially in a book.

dan
03-05-2008, 11:52 AM
To get a good overview of his early career with the Attractions, I would recommend their greatest hits. I realize this isn't what the purists like to hear, but I figure it's a good way to get a feel for the spectrum of the career of an artist.

I'll check those vids out when I get home, thanks.

You nailed me on the greatest hits thing, I was totally ready to chew you out for that one!

hjmick
03-05-2008, 11:59 AM
I'll check those vids out when I get home, thanks.

You nailed me on the greatest hits thing, I was totally ready to chew you out for that one!

Generally speaking I'm not a greatest hits kind of guy myself, but there are some artists whose body of work only warrant the purchase of a compilation. Costello is not one of these, IMO, but I recommend it only as a means to get a feel for his stuff. I like his stuff to the point of not being able to recommend just one album. His jazz/piano work is just as good as his rock/pop work, again, IMO.

dan
03-05-2008, 12:04 PM
Generally speaking I'm not a greatest hits kind of guy myself, but there are some artists whose body of work only warrant the purchase of a compilation. Costello is not one of these, IMO, but I recommend it only as a means to get a feel for his stuff. I like his stuff to the point of not being able to recommend just one album. His jazz/piano work is just as good as his rock/pop work, again, IMO.

Fair enough. Y'know one artist who I think fits the greatest hits thing fine? Billy Joel. All his best songs are his most popular ones, at least in my opinion. I sort of feel the same way about Elton John, but I haven't listened to enough of his non-hits to offer a good opinion.

hjmick
03-05-2008, 12:18 PM
Fair enough. Y'know one artist who I think fits the greatest hits thing fine? Billy Joel. All his best songs are his most popular ones, at least in my opinion. I sort of feel the same way about Elton John, but I haven't listened to enough of his non-hits to offer a good opinion.

Billy has more than a couple of songs that didn't make the hits list that I like far more than his hits, Captain Jack pops to mind, but overall I would have to say you're right. His albums before The Stranger were pretty good, edgier and more angry than his later stuff. I don't think that's bad, just the way it worked out for him. Overall, Elton is the same way in my book. These days I consider the work both of them are doing to substandard when held to the mirror of their early stuff.

dan
03-05-2008, 01:33 PM
Billy has more than a couple of songs that didn't make the hits list that I like far more than his hits, Captain Jack pops to mind, but overall I would have to say you're right. His albums before The Stranger were pretty good, edgier and more angry than his later stuff. I don't think that's bad, just the way it worked out for him. Overall, Elton is the same way in my book. These days I consider the work both of them are doing to substandard when held to the mirror of their early stuff.

I actually don't know all that much about Billy Joel's non-hit stuff, honestly. I know my mom had one of his records, the cover had him in a small hotel room, in black and white, and I remember there was a pair of boxing gloves hanging on the wall. Was that The Stranger? That album is what I'm basing most of my opinion on, honestly.

hjmick
03-05-2008, 01:42 PM
Yep. That's The Stranger. He had two or three albums before that, including Piano Man that had some very good music on them.

Captain Jack is off of Piano Man:

hJxNKrIo_Kg

Heh, we should have this split off to a seperate thread. LOL

Gadget (fmr Marine)
03-05-2008, 02:19 PM

One of the best shows I have seen in the last 10 years was Elvis Costello and Burt Bacharach. Elvis on guitar and Burt behind the piano....great jazzy stuff. I am also a huge fan of Elvis' early stuff (punk scene)

Yurt
03-05-2008, 11:38 PM
kind of a cool show......

true, the idea is cool, acting pretty good, but i just can't see more than a season of stuff....

what did you like about it? maybe i should take a fresh look.

manu1959
03-05-2008, 11:40 PM
true, the idea is cool, acting pretty good, but i just can't see more than a season of stuff....

what did you like about it? maybe i should take a fresh look.

it wasn't reality tv......

manu1959
03-05-2008, 11:42 PM
Sad confession: I've never listened to an Elvis Costello album in my life. I'm sure I've heard some of his songs here and there, but never went out of my way to listen to him.

What's a good album to start with, if you know?

fucking hell ....with the chirpy little reto stuff you like you should just go but the first album with radio radio on it....

Yurt
03-05-2008, 11:49 PM
it wasn't reality tv......

:lol: damn good point. it was like a mini movie. like rescue me.

manu1959
03-05-2008, 11:55 PM
:lol: damn good point. it was like a mini movie. like rescue me.

wish the chick was hotter with a rack....

actsnoblemartin
03-06-2008, 12:23 AM
havent we seen this before highlander, quantum leap?

ok, sorta cheesy, but i'm a time travel junkie, so i will finish it tonight, not sure i will watch again

Yurt
03-06-2008, 11:24 PM
martin: yes, similar to highlander, quantum leap, no

manu: another episode is coming on at 9, i'm going to watch it. hmmm, aren't most season premieres two hours?

Yurt
03-07-2008, 12:08 AM
oh come on, omar is his son................

i told you cheese

Yurt
03-07-2008, 12:20 AM
cheese so far....

manu1959
03-07-2008, 12:47 AM
cheese so far....

so are you liking this or no.....

hjmick
03-07-2008, 01:02 AM
Eh...I like it.

Yurt