PDA

View Full Version : Does McCain still hate "gooks"?

gabosaurus
03-05-2008, 12:49 AM
Or does he get a pass because he believes his comments were "taken out of context"?

http://www.americablog.com/2008/02/i-hate-gooks-john-mccain.html

Mr. P
03-05-2008, 01:10 AM
Or does he get a pass because he believes his comments were "taken out of context"?

Neither you or the writer of this BS have a clue what it's like to be a POW, nor understand the term "gook". Gee what a surprise.

Personally I don't care what he calls them and it ain't even close to racist.

hjmick
03-05-2008, 01:27 AM
The left-wing bloggers are hilarious at times...

But this is an interesting question you pose. It's not a matter of John McCain being taken out of context as much as it is an issue of his context being twisted, re-interpreted, and used against him. I am certain that he was referring to his captors when he made the statement in question and not the Vietnamese people as a whole. Considering the suffering and humiliation they inflicted on him during the five and a half years he was a POW, I completely understand his sentiments. He has every right not to forgive or forget.

I wouldn't expect to find a photograph of McCain meeting with Comrade Do Muoi, the General Secretary of the Communist Party of Vietnamin the '90s, hanging in a place of honor in the War Remnants Museum (formerly the "War Crimes Museum") in Saigon.

Classact
03-05-2008, 06:48 AM
He has a gook adopted daughter... http://www.tnr.com/politics/story.html?id=bbd23d59-2190-4065-8a09-44e8b0be7ba2

theHawk
03-05-2008, 08:48 AM

Yea you jackass, thats why he as an adopted asian daughter.

Monkeybone
03-05-2008, 08:58 AM
i know i do. god damned squintey eyes.

Classact
03-05-2008, 09:43 AM
i know i do. god damned squintey eyes.I was checking my gate guards at Camp Howard Korea in 1969 and this Korean loan shark was pissed because he couldn't get on base to collect a loan he made to a GI... this guy spoke perfect english and called me a gook... Then to be a smartass he said you don't know what a goog is do you? And then he said it means foreigner... I laughed and said, you got me but you still can't come in.

Abbey Marie
03-05-2008, 09:57 AM
I think we need more information before we can decide. Did McCain throw his gooks over a wall in protest?

MtnBiker
03-05-2008, 10:01 AM

gabosaurus
03-05-2008, 03:27 PM
I see. So because McCain was a POW, he earned the right to use a term that degrades ALL Asians. Why does it matter than he has an adopted Asian daughter?
Perhaps McCain now sympathizes with China and North Korea because of it.

stephanie
03-05-2008, 03:37 PM
political correctness today is sooooooooooooooo stupid..

You can't say this, you can't say that...blaaaa blaaaaa

of course you can still say.......whitey, cracker, Oreo....no problemo there..

gabosaurus
03-05-2008, 03:41 PM
But it is still proper to unfairly connect a presidential candidate with a terrorist, right?

theHawk
03-05-2008, 03:42 PM
I see. So because McCain was a POW, he earned the right to use a term that degrades ALL Asians. Why does it matter than he has an adopted Asian daughter?

You article is a biased piece of trash. Speculating that McCain thinks Obama is a "gook", and that McCain wants to use racists attacks against Obama. Its utterly rediculous. Who cares if McCain hates the people what captured and tortured him, can you say that you wouldn't if you went through what he did? If someone says they hate all krauts does that make them racist against all whites?

gabosaurus
03-05-2008, 03:46 PM
How do you know it didn't happen and won't happen?

theHawk
03-05-2008, 03:47 PM
But it is still proper to unfairly connect a presidential candidate with a terrorist, right?

How is it "unfairly" connecting them when there is a connection? We're not the ones that makes this stuff up. Thats something that happened and thus causes people to question his judgement. After all, that is what B.O. is running on right? - His superior "judgement" since he has no experience. Considering his past associations and his blunders during the campaign like "I'll pull out of Iraq and then go back in if AQ is there". So far his judgement is worse than his experience.

theHawk
03-05-2008, 03:50 PM
How do you know it didn't happen and won't happen?

Define "it".

Monkeybone
03-05-2008, 03:51 PM
How is it "unfairly" connecting them when there is a connection? We're not the ones that makes this stuff up. Thats something that happened and thus causes people to question his judgement. After all, that is what B.O. is running on right? - His superior "judgement" since he has no experience. Considering his past associations and his blunders during the campaign like "I'll pull out of Iraq and then go back in if AQ is there". So far his judgement is worse than his experience.

just remember...he didn't vote to go to war.

gabosaurus
03-05-2008, 03:54 PM
So where is the connection? Have any of Obama's relatives admitted to being Islamic radicals? Or where they just Muslims, like so many million others?
My grandfather was a German soldier in WWII. Doesn't make anyone in my family a Nazi sympathizer.

theHawk
03-05-2008, 04:00 PM
just remember...he didn't vote to go to war.

He didn't vote against it either.

theHawk
03-05-2008, 04:08 PM
So where is the connection? Have any of Obama's relatives admitted to being Islamic radicals? Or where they just Muslims, like so many million others?
My grandfather was a German soldier in WWII. Doesn't make anyone in my family a Nazi sympathizer.

What the hell are you talking about? What do Obama's relatives have to do with anything?

You asked if it was unfair to connect a Presidential candidate to terrorists. Obama himself apparently did associate himself with one and still considers him a friend.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0208/8630.html

How is it "unfair" to ask if there is a connection after reading the above link?

hjmick
03-05-2008, 04:10 PM
I stand by my original post, I believe that McCain was referring to his captors, not the entire population of Vietnam, or for that matter the whole of the Asian continent.

Further more, the author of the blog is drawing conclusions from a statement made during the 2000 campaign, provides only the answer to a question and not the question itself. The question was specifically about the North Vietnamese prison guards who tortured and held him captive during the war.

McCain Criticized for Slur (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2000/02/18/MN32194.DTL)

McCain made no apologies yesterday.

"I was referring to my prison guards," McCain said, "and I will continue to refer to them in language that might offend some people because of the beating and torture of my friends."

McCain made it clear that his anger extends only toward his captors. As a senator, he was one of the leaders of the postwar effort to normalize U.S. relations with Vietnam.

theHawk
03-05-2008, 04:17 PM
I stand by my original post, I believe that McCain was referring to his captors, not the entire population of Vietnam, or for that matter the whole of the Asian continent.

Further more, the author of the blog is drawing conclusions from a statement made during the 2000 campaign, provides only the answer to a question and not the question itself. The question was specifically about the North Vietnamese prison guards who tortured and held him captive during the war.

McCain Criticized for Slur (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2000/02/18/MN32194.DTL)

Facts like that are insignificant to rabid liberals like Gabby who just want to attack McCain.

hjmick
03-05-2008, 04:26 PM
Facts like that are insignificant to rabid liberals like Gabby who just want to attack McCain.

I can't believe I'm defending the man, I'm not sure he'll even get my vote. I may go with Nader in protest. Hell, it's not like my vote in California will make a difference, this state will roll blue without a doubt.

theHawk
03-05-2008, 04:38 PM
I can't believe I'm defending the man, I'm not sure he'll even get my vote. I may go with Nader in protest. Hell, it's not like my vote in California will make a difference, this state will roll blue without a doubt.

You know, I've been thinking about that. Right now we conservatives really aren't motivated at all to vote for this man. But the more and more liberals come out with lies and attacks on his service, the more it pisses me off. I have a feeling the conservatives will be galvanized simply by the drive by media and far left attacks. We may not agree with alot of his policies, but it still pisses us off to see lies and political attacks.

hjmick
03-05-2008, 04:39 PM
You know, I've been thinking about that. Right now we conservatives really aren't motivated at all to vote for this man. But the more and more liberals come out with lies and attacks on his service, the more it pisses me off. I have a feeling the conservatives will be galvanized simply by the drive by media and far left attacks. We may not agree with alot of his policies, but it still pisses us off to see lies and political attacks.

I have shared this very same thought on more than one occasion myself.

Roadhouse158
03-05-2008, 05:58 PM
I honestly don't get the the whole "McCain isn't conservative enough". He's not conservative on everything, and he definitely doesn't scream the issues he is conservative on. Gay marriage, abortion, fiscal, military; All of these he is "conservative" on. I am in no way calling him a conservative, but he sure seems to be conservative on the big issues. There is no way a President could ever be a "conservative" anyway...Conservatives believe in no government aid...Welfare, Medicaid, Medicare, OSHA; All of these, a conservative is against. We had Reagan, and George W. Bush, whom everyone call(ed)s a conservative; yet all these programs still exist. Who cares how conservative a President is. He'll have to change his views to serve all citizens. You can't serve half the country...Congress is a different story, but not the Presidency. Same goes for a Liberal President. They can head the country slightly that way, but they will never completely shift the role of the country to one side of thinking.

MtnBiker
03-05-2008, 07:22 PM

McCain made no apologies yesterday. - from a 2/18/2000 article

"I was referring to my prison guards," McCain said, "and I will continue to refer to them in language that might offend some people because of the beating and torture of my friends."

McCain made it clear that his anger extends only toward his captors. As a senator, he was one of the leaders of the postwar effort to normalize U.S. relations with Vietnam.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2000/02/18/MN32194.DTL

So to answer your question Gabby, is yes he probably does still hate his torturing, beating captors.

stephanie
03-05-2008, 10:23 PM
And if you notice....it's not even the vietnamese people making a stink out this.
P. C. crap..

pegwinn
03-05-2008, 10:55 PM
LOL.

If that is the best that they can do, it'll be a boring general election.

WRL
03-06-2008, 06:35 AM

But this is an interesting question you pose. It's not a matter of John McCain being taken out of context as much as it is an issue of his context being twisted, re-interpreted, and used against him. I am certain that he was referring to his captors when he made the statement in question and not the Vietnamese people as a whole. Considering the suffering and humiliation they inflicted on him during the five and a half years he was a POW, I completely understand his sentiments. He has every right not to forgive or forget.

I wouldn't expect to find a photograph of McCain meeting with Comrade Do Muoi, the General Secretary of the Communist Party of Vietnamin the '90s, hanging in a place of honor in the War Remnants Museum (formerly the "War Crimes Museum") in Saigon.

http://qando.net/archives/kerrymuseum1.jpg

Gaffer
03-06-2008, 05:23 PM
Gook does not refer to all Asians. It refers to southeast Asians. Chinese were always chinks and japanese were japs or nips. While it was a derogatory term it was more often used because it was a short one syllable word. Instead of saying vee et nam ese we simply said gook.

trobinett
03-06-2008, 07:38 PM

I'm just a little confused here Hawk.

Are you holding what McCain indured againts him?

Just a little clarification would be appreciated.