PDA

View Full Version : Fire ants

Classact
03-05-2008, 11:57 AM
Anyone have a fire ant problem? I got tired of them attacking me as I hang up clothes outside and got tired of using chemicals that cost so much. I found that if I cover their nests with used coffee grounds they don't like it and move so I started saving my used coffee grounds and then when I find a new ant hill I dump coffee grounds on it and then sprinkle the entire area where I walk with the stored coffee grounds... so far so good... just thought I'd give you guys a heads up.

Mr. P
03-05-2008, 12:18 PM
Fighting fire ants here is a yearly event. About the best you can hope for is moving them to the next yard for awhile. They ALWAYS come back to another part of your yard though. :laugh2: What I hate more is yellow jackets! Those lil shits are mean as hell! They are much easier to remove though...lil gas in the opening of the nest does,er.

Gadget (fmr Marine)
03-05-2008, 01:59 PM
Anyone have a fire ant problem? I got tired of them attacking me as I hang up clothes outside and got tired of using chemicals that cost so much. I found that if I cover their nests with used coffee grounds they don't like it and move so I started saving my used coffee grounds and then when I find a new ant hill I dump coffee grounds on it and then sprinkle the entire area where I walk with the stored coffee grounds... so far so good... just thought I'd give you guys a heads up.

If you ever get bit by the little buggers, a quick remedy can be found in most any real man's garage.

Spray the bites with WD-40....no joke, it works. Makes the pain go away IMMEDIATELY, and will not welt up, either.

I have done it and it works very well. File this one away for your next survivor moment in your backyard.

Mr. P
03-05-2008, 02:15 PM
If you ever get bit by the little buggers, a quick remedy can be found in most any real man's garage.

Spray the bites with WD-40....no joke, it works. Makes the pain go away IMMEDIATELY, and will not welt up, either.

I have done it and it works very well. File this one away for your next survivor moment in your backyard.

Hi there..

Real MEN can take a lil ant bite. :poke::laugh2:

Gadget (fmr Marine)
03-05-2008, 02:29 PM
Hi there..

Real MEN can take a lil ant bite. :poke::laugh2:

One bite is fine.....but I took about 50 or more once, and was beginning to have a reaction.....just don't :pee: on them.....that would be bad form.

Mr. P
03-05-2008, 02:37 PM
One bite is fine.....but I took about 50 or more once, and was beginning to have a reaction.....just don't :pee: on them.....that would be bad form.

They are nasty in mass..

jackass
03-05-2008, 03:04 PM

I read sprinkling the nests with grits works well.

remie
03-05-2008, 03:13 PM
When I lived in Louisiana, I would pour about a pint of gas on the ant hill and light it up....pretty effective but watch the eyebrows.