PDA

View Full Version : Patrick Swayze only has 5 weeks to live?

dan
03-05-2008, 04:37 PM
I'm no big Swayze fan, but if it's true, this is crappy news. Of course, it was first reported by the Enquirer and Perez Hilton, so who knows?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,335210,00.html

hjmick
03-05-2008, 04:48 PM
That's a shame. I knew Patrick before he hit the movies, we worked in community theater together, he on stage, me behind the curtain, back in the early '80s. He was, and I presume still is, a nice guy. His wife is very sweet as is his sister, Bambi. In fact the whole family was pretty cool. Damn sad news.

stephanie
03-05-2008, 04:49 PM
I haven't heard a thing about this..

He's a fairly good actor...I liked him in some movies..

dan
03-05-2008, 04:58 PM
That's a shame. I knew Patrick before he hit the movies, we worked in community theater together, he on stage, me behind the curtain, back in the early '80s. He was, and I presume still is, a nice guy. His wife is very sweet as is his sister, Bambi. In fact the whole family was pretty cool. Damn sad news.

Wow, that's cool hj. That is sad news, though. I always felt like Swayze could've been a good dramatic actor if he hadn't gotten stuck in the pretty-boy niche. He was really good in Donnie Darko in a pretty complex role.

Mr. P
03-05-2008, 05:43 PM
Off the top of my head, of 12 people I have known that died, 8 were from cancer.

We really need to step-up the research.

Kathianne
03-05-2008, 05:49 PM
That was just sad. I'm with Mr. P., in this country seems all the research $$$ are going to AIDS and Breast Cancer, at the expense of all others....

Hagbard Celine
03-05-2008, 05:56 PM
It's time to get crazy like Swayze...

:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

dan
03-05-2008, 05:57 PM
Seems the media's exaggerated things, imagine that! Here's a quote from his doctor:

"Patrick has a very limited amount of disease and he appears to be responding well to treatment thus far," Dr. Patrick George says in a statement. "All of the reports stating the time frame of his prognosis and his physical side effects are absolutely untrue. We are considerably more optimistic."

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20182300,00.html

Mr. P
03-05-2008, 06:04 PM
That was just sad. I'm with Mr. P., in this country seems all the research $$$ are going to AIDS and Breast Cancer, at the expense of all others....

I just don't get it. We can go into space, land on the moon, explore mars...AND CLONE living beings, unravel the human genome, identify DNA markers...but this continues? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Kathianne
03-05-2008, 06:13 PM
I just don't get it. We can go into space, land on the moon, explore mars...AND CLONE living beings, unravel the human genome, identify DNA markers...but this continues? It just doesn't make sense to me.

I think they have many breakthroughs just on the horizon, but the $ aren't there, because they are going to the 'popular' diseases. On the other hand, there are some like MD that have tons of $, but they can't break through, they've been 'there' for so long...

Said1
03-05-2008, 06:22 PM
'no one puts Baby in the corner' :laugh2:

CockySOB
03-05-2008, 06:28 PM
Swayze has pancreatic cancer, but I haven't seen any specifics beyond that. If they caught it early enough, his prognosis could be better, but apparently only about 5% survive past the 5-year mark. So it doesn't look good in the long run for Patrick.

That said, there have been some superb developments at the genetic level for identifying and inhibiting cancerous growth in the lab. Keep your eyes open and over the next 5 years we could see some significant advances come to market for treating cancers in general.

Mr. P
03-05-2008, 06:29 PM
'no one puts Baby in the corner' :laugh2:

If yer referring to Hag,,,he ain't worth it.

Mr. P
03-05-2008, 06:32 PM
Swayze has pancreatic cancer, but I haven't seen any specifics beyond that. If they caught it early enough, his prognosis could be better, but apparently only about 5% survive past the 5-year mark. So it doesn't look good in the long run for Patrick.

That said, there have been some superb developments at the genetic level for identifying and inhibiting cancerous growth in the lab. Keep your eyes open and over the next 5 years we could see some significant advances come to market for treating cancers in general.

I hope so, Cocky...but the truth is I've heard that for the last 30 yrs.

Said1
03-05-2008, 06:41 PM

It's a line from Dirty Dancing.

CockySOB
03-05-2008, 07:13 PM
I hope so, Cocky...but the truth is I've heard that for the last 30 yrs.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/news/health_medicine/cancer/
http://www.technologyreview.com/Biotech/

Good places to get up-to-the-minute info on current research. Good parent sites as well.

I understand what you're saying, Mr. P. But we really have made some significant progress in bio-molecular engineering over the past decade or so.

Here's a good, current article (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/03/080303190612.htm) on the topic of protein activation to combat cancerous growths.

Pale Rider
03-05-2008, 09:02 PM
I know it's commonly looked on as a chick flick, but I don't care, Dirty Dancing is one of my favorite movies, and I wish a speedy recovery for the Pat.

dan
03-05-2008, 09:30 PM
I know it's commonly looked on as a chick flick, but I don't care, Dirty Dancing is one of my favorite movies, and I wish a speedy recovery for the Pat.

:gay:

Mr. P
03-05-2008, 09:42 PM

Ghost was great!

hjmick
03-05-2008, 09:43 PM
Who can forget Red Dawn?

WOLVERINES!

The Reverend
03-05-2008, 09:46 PM
Roadhouse was awesome.

dan
03-05-2008, 09:48 PM
Roadhouse was awesome.

Now you're talking!

hjmick
03-05-2008, 09:55 PM
When I met him, we were doing a production of West Side Story, his mother was directing and doing the choreography, he was playing Riff or Tony, can't remember. Anyway, he does have some real talent.

dan
03-05-2008, 09:56 PM
When I met him, we were doing a production of Westside Story, his mother was directing and doing the choreography, he was playing Riff or Tony, can't remember. Anyway, he does have some real talent.

The Outsiders was another good role.

Mr. P
03-05-2008, 10:15 PM
Roadhouse was awesome.

Oh YES!:clap:

Kathianne
03-05-2008, 10:17 PM
The Outsiders was another good role.

The Outsiders may be the best novel for Middle Schoolers, ever!

jackass
03-06-2008, 08:06 AM
The Outsiders may be the best novel for Middle Schoolers, ever!

Really? I havent read the book but it seems there would be alot of cursing in it.

Abbey Marie
03-06-2008, 10:32 AM
The fact that they are using chemo on Patrick instead of surgery, indicates that his cancer probably has metastasized. This is a very fast growing and almost incurable cancer. The survival rates are dismal. I wish him well, but I would be surprised if he lives a year. My fil was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer at the end of January, and died last weekend. One month from diagnosis to death.

I agree Kath, about how it seems that so much of the research money goes to AIDS and breast cancer.

dan
03-06-2008, 10:49 AM
Really? I havent read the book but it seems there would be alot of cursing in it.

From what I remember, there's more cursing in the movie than in the book. If you read it, it's easy to tell that the book was clearly written for middle/high schoolers, not adults. I think they say son-of-a-bitch a couple times and that's about it.

Hagbard Celine
03-06-2008, 10:56 AM

"BOOHOO. I'm so mad because apparently Hagbard Celine did something to piss me off so now I'm going to hold a grudge and make bitter, pissy comments. BOOHOO"

-Mr. P

Oh yeah, it seems that the whole "five weeks to live" thing was a bit overstated.

http://www.wwtdd.com/

dan
03-06-2008, 11:13 AM
Oh yeah, it seems that the whole "five weeks to live" thing was a bit overstated.

Welcome to 17 hours ago!

http://debatepolicy.com/showpost.php?p=212425&postcount=8

Mr. P
03-06-2008, 11:16 AM
"BOOHOO. I'm so mad because apparently Hagbard Celine did something to piss me off so now I'm going to hold a grudge and make bitter, pissy comments. BOOHOO"

-Mr. P

I'm not mad. I have no idea what you're talking about. You made a lame ass comment about Buckleys death and a lame ass comment here. That's all. Grow up.

retiredman
03-06-2008, 11:37 AM
I personally know a dozen people who have been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer - including my father in law - and NONE of them lasted more than a year after diagnosis.

Hagbard Celine
03-06-2008, 11:44 AM
I'm not mad. I have no idea what you're talking about. You made a lame ass comment about Buckleys death and a lame ass comment here. That's all. Grow up.

I didn't make any lame comments about Buckley's death. I complimented him and said he was smart. In fact my exact words were "He was a smart dude." You can go ahead and shove your self righteousness up your ass.

Hagbard Celine
03-06-2008, 11:46 AM
Welcome to 17 hours ago!

http://debatepolicy.com/showpost.php?p=212425&postcount=8

Sorry. I don't stay on the Internet 24 hours a day so I get my news in the morning when I come to work.

Mr. P
03-06-2008, 11:55 AM
I didn't make any lame comments about Buckley's death. I complimented him and said he was smart. In fact my exact words were "He was a smart dude."

My mistake. It was another immature dumb ass not you. I apologize.

Abbey Marie
03-06-2008, 12:00 PM
I didn't make any lame comments about Buckley's death. I complimented him and said he was smart. In fact my exact words were "He was a smart dude." You can go ahead and shove your self righteousness up your ass.

It was Typo who made the rude comment about Buckley.

dan
03-06-2008, 12:44 PM
Sorry. I don't stay on the Internet 24 hours a day so I get my news in the morning when I come to work.

Oof! Someone's touchy today!

Hagbard Celine
03-06-2008, 01:11 PM
My mistake. It was another immature dumb ass not you. I apologize.

Said the guy who prostrated himself before me...

Mr. P
03-06-2008, 04:06 PM
Said the guy who prostrated himself before me...

I'm not above an apology. Prostrate before you? Only in yer dreams. :laugh2:

You can accept of decline, makes no difference to me.

Hagbard Celine
03-06-2008, 04:12 PM
I'm not above an apology. Prostrate before you? Only in yer dreams. :laugh2:

You can accept of decline, makes no difference to me.

I graciously accept your apology. :dance: