PDA

View Full Version : Remember the Alamo!

hjmick
03-06-2008, 11:01 AM
On this day in 1836 aproximatley 170 Texans perish at the Alamo in San Antonio, Texas, when an estimated 3,000 Mexicans commanded by general Antonio Lopes de Santa Anna overran the Republic of Texas garrison.

actsnoblemartin
03-06-2008, 05:36 PM
god bless you for this thread

:salute:

On this day in 1836 aproximatley 170 Texans perish at the Alamo in San Antonio, Texas, when an estimated 3,000 Mexicans commanded by general Antonio Lopes de Santa Anna overran the Republic of Texas garrison.

Gaffer
03-06-2008, 06:00 PM
Nice to see someone else knows it's Alamo Day.

hjmick
03-06-2008, 06:03 PM
Nice to see someone else knows it's Alamo Day.

Comes with spending my formative years in the Great State. :cool:

I recognize Juneteenth as well. Don't celebrate it, but I know what it's about.

Dilloduck
03-06-2008, 06:05 PM
Comes with spending my formative years in the Great State. :cool:

I recognize Juneteenth as well. Don't celebrate it, but I know what it's about.

Where is Davey when we REALLY need him !!! :coffee:

hjmick
03-06-2008, 06:08 PM
Where is Davey when we REALLY need him !!! :coffee:

Spinning in his grave.

theHawk
03-06-2008, 06:22 PM
Spinning in his grave.

Especially with that shitbag liberal disgracing our city with his presence in the last week.

diuretic
03-06-2008, 08:27 PM
At least they didn't kill the women and children.

Gaffer
03-07-2008, 10:41 AM
At least they didn't kill the women and children.

Yes they did. Only a handful survived. And that was because an officer stopped the soldiers. Most of the women and children in the Alamo were of Mexican decent. The survivors were shipped off to Mexico City and never heard from again.

gabosaurus
03-07-2008, 02:58 PM
Santa Ana got his due in two later battles in the U.S. War with Mexico. In which the U.S. Army took control of Texas down to the Rio Grande, along with what is now Arizona and New Mexico.

The Mexicans will tell you that they are just now getting around to taking it back. :laugh2:

diuretic
03-07-2008, 05:43 PM
Yes they did. Only a handful survived. And that was because an officer stopped the soldiers. Most of the women and children in the Alamo were of Mexican decent. The survivors were shipped off to Mexico City and never heard from again.

Thanks for the correction, my memory was faulty (I must have been looking through rose-tinted glasses somewhat)

Gaffer
03-07-2008, 10:01 PM
Santa Ana got his due in two later battles in the U.S. War with Mexico. In which the U.S. Army took control of Texas down to the Rio Grande, along with what is now Arizona and New Mexico.

The Mexicans will tell you that they are just now getting around to taking it back. :laugh2:

Just for reference, it's spelled Santa Anna. Not the same as the city your use too. He liked to refer to himself as the Napoleon of the west.

Texas was an independent country from 1836 until 1845. The army was sent toward the Rio Grande because of the threat that Santa Anna was going to invade. He did invade. His army went a few miles into Texas and were met by the US army who kicked their ass and sent them packing back into Mexico. The US army did not enter Arizona or New Mexico until after the war had started.

Santa Anna never got his due. He was elected president of Mexico three times and became a dictator all three times. Says something about the Mexican populous of the period. Gee he took over the government and ran it into the ground last time, let's vote for him again. He fought the Texans, the US and the French. Lost all three times.

gabosaurus
03-08-2008, 11:57 AM
Santa Ana had to resign twice after defeats at the hands of Texas and the U.S. I hardly call that a distinguished career.

Gunny
03-15-2008, 11:12 AM

LMAO. Santa Ana got his ass waxed at the Battle of San Jacinto where the Army of the Republic of Texas led by Gen San Houston routed the Mexican Army and nabbed Santa Ana trying to slink off in a Private's uniform.

Texas would not become part of the US for 10 more years.