PDA

View Full Version : Who is this actor...

hjmick
03-07-2008, 11:41 AM
...and why is there a contoversy surrounding his latest role? I'm referring to the actor in the middle, the black man.

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/03_01/StillerVietL_468x607.jpg
http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/03_01/RDJSplitSPL_468x351.jpg

It's none other than Robert Downey Jr.

With that revelation, I imagine the controversy is evident. There seems to be some who are outraged that a White actor has been hired to play a Black character in Ben Stiller's latest effort, Tropic Thunder. Downey plays an Oscar-winning actor taking on a role originally written for a black actor, and rather than re-write the part, he goes method.

I have to agree with Downey's take on the whole thing, his response? "If it's done right, it could be the type of role you called Peter Sellers to do 35 years ago. If you don't do it right, we're going to hell."

Race row as actor Robert Downey Jr 'blacks up' for new film (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/showbiz/showbiznews.html?in_article_id=528496&in_page_id=1773)

Nukeman
03-07-2008, 02:20 PM
You know, I was going to post this thread just now. I am glad you brought this up. I can't believe the SOME people are seriously stating this is "racist" . I have only two words to say

"White Chicks" the movie with some of the Wayans brothers. This is so completely stupid. I am soo sick of this double standard where its OK for a black person to dress and apply makeup to apear "white", yet if a white man dons "black face" he must be racist! What a load of shit.

The PC people need to get a freaking life and be done with it....

hjmick
03-07-2008, 02:22 PM
Don't forget Eddie Murphy. He's played Chinese men, White Jewish guys, fat Black women, Gumby.

dan
03-07-2008, 02:26 PM
Now, if the character in the movie were supposed to be black, I might think that was a little sketchy. But, because he's playing a white actor playing a black character, I don't think there's anything wrong with it, and I think it'll be very funny to hear Downey's very white voice coming from that face.

I've talked to a couple people who saw advance screenings of this who said it's Stiller's best movie since There's Something About Mary.

dan
03-07-2008, 02:28 PM
Incidentally, shouldn't the fact that Jack Black is (apparently) playing an albino be just as offensive to these people as Downey playing a black person?

dan
03-07-2008, 02:30 PM
Don't forget Eddie Murphy. He's played Chinese men, White Jewish guys, fat Black women, Gumby.

Seriously, I don't get why these super-sensitive people had no issue with Norbit. That was easily the most offensive modern minstrel I've seen in a long time. Of course, it only offended me because it was retardedly unfunny, but I definitely see where Nukeman's coming from.

hjmick
03-07-2008, 02:31 PM
The premise of the overall movie sounds entertaining and the idea behind Downey's character is brilliant. A white actor playing a role originally written for a black actor, and rather than re-write the part, he plays it as written? Genius. It could lead to Downey stealing more than one scene if not the entire film. And the make-up looks great.

hjmick
03-07-2008, 02:32 PM
Seriously, I don't get why these super-sensitive people had no issue with Norbit. That was easily the most offensive modern minstrel I've seen in a long time. Of course, it only offended me because it was retardedly unfunny, but I definitely see where Nukeman's coming from.

I absolutely agree with Nuke's point as well. The Peter Sellers take by RDJ is inspired and spot on.

Mr. P
03-07-2008, 02:36 PM
I think the make-up folks should win an Oscar for this! Other than that I don't give a shit. Hollywood is all smoke and mirrors anyway...geeeeeeeezzzzzzz
Some folks have nothing better to do than focus on race, always black.

Hagbard Celine
03-07-2008, 03:18 PM

Gumby is the one I'm outraged about. Those rubber people do the best they can! They don't need the likes of Eddie Murphy undermining their heritage.

dan
03-07-2008, 03:25 PM
Gumby is the one I'm outraged about. Those rubber people do the best they can! They don't need the likes of Eddie Murphy undermining their heritage.

Oh, I'm so sick of this argument. I'd love to spend all my time hanging out with a horse and border-jumping into a book whenever I feel like it! The Blockheads were just doing their jobs, and this greasy ball of clay has to come around with his good nature and inquisitive mind. These colors don't run, Gumby, but I bet under the right light yours would!

diuretic
03-07-2008, 05:42 PM
Is it a comedy? Or is it a Stallone-like blastathon?

hjmick
03-07-2008, 05:57 PM
Comedy.

Lizabeth
03-07-2008, 06:45 PM
What about the United Negro College Fund? think they give that to a deserving Korean kid?

Really now, all these people screaming racism - For God's Sake! It's ACTING! They wear makeup, play characters. Charlize Theron played Eileen Wornos in Monster and wore make up to look just like her. Where is the difference? An Actor Played the Role of a Black Man. That is the job - Get over it!

diuretic
03-07-2008, 09:51 PM
Comedy.

Thanks - I would think that the racism allegation is pretty silly in that case.

Anyway, how come everyone doesn't get upset about Placido Domingo's "Otello"? Or are they just comin' down on poor Ben Stiller? :laugh2:

Oh, just in case, I wasn't having a go at Stallone, I like blastathons.

dan
03-07-2008, 09:59 PM
Thanks - I would think that the racism allegation is pretty silly in that case.

Anyway, how come everyone doesn't get upset about Placido Domingo's "Otello"? Or are they just comin' down on poor Ben Stiller? :laugh2:

Oh, just in case, I wasn't having a go at Stallone, I like blastathons.

Have you guys gotten the new Rambo over there yet? See it when you get a chance, it pretty much defines blastathon!

diuretic
03-07-2008, 10:58 PM
Have you guys gotten the new Rambo over there yet? See it when you get a chance, it pretty much defines blastathon!

Being advertised now :D

dan
03-07-2008, 11:31 PM
Being advertised now :D

Definitely see it.

diuretic
03-08-2008, 12:52 AM
Definitely see it.

I haven't been to a film since "I Am Legend", I'll give it a go I think.