PDA

View Full Version : Changing Our National Priorities

stephanie
03-08-2008, 12:35 AM
I saw this on the Huffey Post...you'll have to go there to read it all and check out the comments..

Posted March 7, 2008 | 02:48 PM (EST)
Sen. Bernie Sanders

There are three major trends in American society that must be addressed when the Senate next week debates the federal budget. First, the United States has the most unequal distribution of wealth and income of any major nation in the industrialized world, and the gap between the very rich and everyone else is growing wider. Second, it is a national disgrace that we have, by far, the highest rate of childhood poverty of any major country on earth. More than 18 percent of our kids live in poverty. Third, year after year, we have had record-breaking deficits and our national debt will soon be $10 trillion. That is a grossly unfair burden to leave to our kids and grandchildren. It also is economically unsustainable.

I plan to offer an amendment that addresses these issues, to change our national priorities, and to move this country in a very different direction than where we have been going in the last seven years.

According to the latest available statistics from the Internal Revenue Service, the top 1 percent of Americans earned significantly more income in 2005 than the bottom 50 percent. In addition, the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) recently reported that the wealthiest 1 percent saw total income rise by $180,000 in 2005. That is more than the average middle-class family makes in three years. The CBO also found that the total share of after-tax income going to the top 1 percent hit the highest level on record, while the middle class and working families received the smallest share of after-tax income on record.

Meanwhile, while the rich have become much richer, nearly 5 million Americans have slipped out of the middle class and into poverty over the past seven years, including over 1 million of our children.

We have a moral responsibility to put children ahead of millionaires and billionaires. That is why, during the Senate's consideration of the budget resolution, I will offer an amendment to restore the top income tax bracket to 39.6 percent for households earning more than $1 million a year.

Restoring the top income tax bracket for people making more than $1 million to what it was in 2000 would increase revenue by $32.5 billion over the next three years, according to the Joint Tax Committee, including $10.8 billion next year alone.

read it here..
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rep-bernie-sanders/changing-our-national-pri_b_90450.html

diuretic
03-08-2008, 12:50 AM
He's a great man :D

Kathianne
03-08-2008, 12:53 AM
He's a great man :D
Who's he? I must be missing something?

03-08-2008, 01:05 AM
other than the government spending, i dont really see what the government is supposed to do about these things. The priority is first with mom and dad, and then with the local community. the federal government shouldnt be involved in any of this stuff. and they sure as heck shouldnt be upset that people are earning money. Thats the whole point of this nation. You work hard, develop skills that are needed and people pay you for what you are worth. there is nothing wrong with that.

diuretic
03-08-2008, 02:18 AM
Who's he? I must be missing something?

Jeez Kathianne even I've heard of Bernie! :lol:

diuretic
03-08-2008, 02:19 AM
other than the government spending, i dont really see what the government is supposed to do about these things. The priority is first with mom and dad, and then with the local community. the federal government shouldnt be involved in any of this stuff. and they sure as heck shouldnt be upset that people are earning money. Thats the whole point of this nation. You work hard, develop skills that are needed and people pay you for what you are worth. there is nothing wrong with that.

Nice theory, shame about the reality.

03-08-2008, 09:13 AM
Nice theory, shame about the reality.

there is nothing out of reality. people just refuse to do it.

Dilloduck
03-08-2008, 09:24 AM
Thats the whole point of this nation. You work hard, develop skills that are needed and people pay you for what you are worth. there is nothing wrong with that.

If getting paid for what you are worth is the whole point of this nation, we are in deep trouble. Capitalism may be a great way to pay for one's way of life but it certainly will leave you empty if it is your purpose.

Kathianne
03-08-2008, 09:57 AM
Jeez Kathianne even I've heard of Bernie! :lol:

He's another nutter. Even I know those numbers are nothing but 'feel good' nonsense about kiddies. Sheesh.

diuretic
03-08-2008, 09:08 PM
He's another nutter. Even I know those numbers are nothing but 'feel good' nonsense about kiddies. Sheesh.

Apparently folks in Vermont reckon he's good - but anyway, I should cut out the thread drift.

gabosaurus
03-08-2008, 11:07 PM
The cat wearing the lime was a LOT funnier...

Kathianne
03-08-2008, 11:10 PM
Apparently folks in Vermont reckon he's good - but anyway, I should cut out the thread drift.

Hmmm, what do you know about the folks in Vt?

stephanie
03-09-2008, 12:30 AM
The cat wearing the lime was a LOT funnier...

that was a mellon dear...:slap::laugh2:

DragonStryk72
03-09-2008, 12:38 AM
I saw this on the Huffey Post...you'll have to go there to read it all and check out the comments..

Posted March 7, 2008 | 02:48 PM (EST)
Sen. Bernie Sanders

There are three major trends in American society that must be addressed when the Senate next week debates the federal budget. First, the United States has the most unequal distribution of wealth and income of any major nation in the industrialized world, and the gap between the very rich and everyone else is growing wider. Second, it is a national disgrace that we have, by far, the highest rate of childhood poverty of any major country on earth. More than 18 percent of our kids live in poverty. Third, year after year, we have had record-breaking deficits and our national debt will soon be $10 trillion. That is a grossly unfair burden to leave to our kids and grandchildren. It also is economically unsustainable.

I plan to offer an amendment that addresses these issues, to change our national priorities, and to move this country in a very different direction than where we have been going in the last seven years.

According to the latest available statistics from the Internal Revenue Service, the top 1 percent of Americans earned significantly more income in 2005 than the bottom 50 percent. In addition, the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) recently reported that the wealthiest 1 percent saw total income rise by $180,000 in 2005. That is more than the average middle-class family makes in three years. The CBO also found that the total share of after-tax income going to the top 1 percent hit the highest level on record, while the middle class and working families received the smallest share of after-tax income on record.

Meanwhile, while the rich have become much richer, nearly 5 million Americans have slipped out of the middle class and into poverty over the past seven years, including over 1 million of our children.

We have a moral responsibility to put children ahead of millionaires and billionaires. That is why, during the Senate's consideration of the budget resolution, I will offer an amendment to restore the top income tax bracket to 39.6 percent for households earning more than $1 million a year.

Restoring the top income tax bracket for people making more than $1 million to what it was in 2000 would increase revenue by $32.5 billion over the next three years, according to the Joint Tax Committee, including $10.8 billion next year alone.

read it here..
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rep-bernie-sanders/changing-our-national-pri_b_90450.html

See, this is why I support the FairTax ( www.FairTax.org ). Taxing the rich has never, not once, worked in this country, it just doesn't. They'll just come up with other tax shelters, because they are either really good with money themselves, or they hired the people who are good with money, hence why they're rich.

We wouldn't even need to talk about these kinds of tax hikes, if we would just fire the pricks who keep running the bill up so high. Yes, we have that right, we the people can call a vote of no confidence (Ask Schwarzenegger if it works), and basically, it boils down to firing politicians who overspend. You wouldn't even have to do it that often, just enough to spook the rest of the cattle.

If we took on the FairTax, not only would poor families get 100% of their paycheck, but as well, there would a monthly prebate=monthly necessity base upon household size, as a tax refund, meaning that those families that live below the poverty line keep ALL of their money, and have their necessities covered, meaning increased opportunity to move up in the world. No, it will not curb government spending, however, it will work much better than this proposed amendment ever will.