PDA

View Full Version : Wayne Root - Libertarian Candidate for President

5stringJeff
03-08-2008, 09:09 PM
For all you small-government, freedom-loving types, please consider voting for Wayne Root instead of John McCain. Root embodies the best of the libertarian and conservative traditions, unlike anti-free-speech John McCain.

Pale Rider
03-08-2008, 09:13 PM
Awesome Jeff... the more I read about this guy, the more I like 'em. Now THIS is the kind of person I can vote "FOR."

Pale Rider
03-10-2008, 09:44 PM
And isn't it curious how a "real conservative" is for the most part ignored?

It think it speaks volumes of the mind set of Americans, displayed right here in this microcosm of it.

5stringJeff
03-11-2008, 08:00 AM
Seriously. Wayne Root ought to be the candidate of choice for any freedom-loving American.

DragonStryk72
03-11-2008, 12:08 PM
There were three quotes of his that won me over on him:

"Government should be of the people, by the people, for the people. What part of that do politicians and government bureaucrats not understand? Government has no right to keep secrets from the people. The people are paying for it. It's THEIR government. They have a right to know everything going on. I will make government transparent. One big reality show. I will eliminate the back-alley deals, the smoke-filled rooms where secret deals are made. With me, what you see is what you'll get. I'll bring it all out into the open. The people will be back in charge."
--Wayne Allyn Root

"I will end the Nanny State. I will give personal responsibility back to the American people. The decisions on how to live your lives are yours. The decision on vaccinations for your children is yours. The decision on what to eat is yours. The decision on what to watch on your computer or television is yours. The decision to own a gun is yours. The decision to smoke or drink or gamble is yours. The decision to wear a helmet on a motorcycle is yours- as long as you accept personal responsibility. The job of government is not to protect you from yourself. Or to prosecute victimless crimes. Big Brother will no longer be open for business under my watch."
--Wayne Allyn Root

"Abortion is a states' rights issue. Education is a states' right issue. Medical marijuana is a states' rights issue. Gay marraige is a states' rights issue. Right to Die (typified by the Terri Schiavo crisis) is a states' rights issue. Come to think of it, almost every social issue of our day is a States' Rights issue. Let's get the federal government out of our lives."
--Wayne Allyn Root

I actually read through his stances, and more and more, I found myself nodding. He is right, we do need to get our rights back, we do need a smaller federal government.

Pale Rider
03-11-2008, 01:53 PM
There were three quotes of his that won me over on him:

I actually read through his stances, and more and more, I found myself nodding. He is right, we do need to get our rights back, we do need a smaller federal government.

So that begs the question... why isn't someone like this on the ballot?

DragonStryk72
03-12-2008, 01:36 AM
So that begs the question... why isn't someone like this on the ballot?

right now, he's getting through the libertarian primes, and is looking to get them formed up into ranks as a real party. He actually mentions on his site that he does not expect to win in 08, instead he is focusing the campaigning effort of drawing in more supporters, so that the lib party is taken a serious contender for 2012. he's playing it strategically, and it doesn't seem as though he's likely to screw it up, so it looks like we'll finally have the red, white, and blue parties.

Pale Rider
03-12-2008, 02:14 AM
right now, he's getting through the libertarian primes, and is looking to get them formed up into ranks as a real party. He actually mentions on his site that he does not expect to win in 08, instead he is focusing the campaigning effort of drawing in more supporters, so that the lib party is taken a serious contender for 2012. he's playing it strategically, and it doesn't seem as though he's likely to screw it up, so it looks like we'll finally have the red, white, and blue parties.

I'm all for it... but I'd have to say that referring to it as the "lib" party my not be the best choice of words.

5stringJeff
03-12-2008, 06:59 PM
I think "LP" is the preferred term.

hjmick
03-13-2008, 12:16 PM
I wonder if, should he be elected, he will be forced to give up his sports handicapping business...

82Marine89
03-13-2008, 06:49 PM
I'm all for it... but I'd have to say that referring to it as the "lib" party my not be the best choice of words.

My voter registration card used to say "REP", now it says "LIB". I laugh every time I read it.

5stringJeff
04-05-2008, 09:44 AM
I'm still voting for this guy, as long as he wins at the LP convention in May.

Pale Rider
04-05-2008, 10:26 AM
I'm still voting for this guy, as long as he wins at the LP convention in May.

I'm 99% sure I'm with ya on this one Jeff. I really like this guy. Thanks for bumping it.

Gaffer
04-05-2008, 10:46 AM
I like most of what I see from this guy. And would really like to see a viable third party this year. As he's libertarian I do wonder where he would draw his cabinet and other advisers from? Those positions are usually filled from the party and his campaign workers.

To cut government the way he wants too means getting rid of a lot of cabinet posts and departments. The bureaucrats are going to fight him every step of the way, and try to undermine him worse than they did Bush. Not to mention congress will stop every bill he tries to introduce. The media will also be against him, being mostly left wing liberals.

Getting control back into the hands of the people is going to take a long time. Kinda like nation building from within.

Pale Rider
04-05-2008, 11:00 AM
I like most of what I see from this guy. And would really like to see a viable third party this year. As he's libertarian I do wonder where he would draw his cabinet and other advisers from? Those positions are usually filled from the party and his campaign workers.

To cut government the way he wants too means getting rid of a lot of cabinet posts and departments. The bureaucrats are going to fight him every step of the way, and try to undermine him worse than they did Bush. Not to mention congress will stop every bill he tries to introduce. The media will also be against him, being mostly left wing liberals.

Getting control back into the hands of the people is going to take a long time. Kinda like nation building from within.

I think you're right on all accounts. I'm not sure how much of "the people" would be behind him. I think our country is going to the dogs. With each passing generation, this nation gets further and further away from it's roots, and what made it great. There's more and more pansy assed liberals born and raised every day. I'm afraid true conservatism is dying.

5stringJeff
04-05-2008, 11:23 AM
I'm listening to the LP debate right now online. I'm more and more in Root's camp. Here are his current opponents:

George Phillies: an academic. He sounds very by-the-book libertarian, but uninspiring.
Christine Smith: sounds like an angry peacenik. Really angry.
Mary Ruwart: Sounds very reasonable.
Michael Jingozian: sounds like he's smoking crack. I wouldn't take this guy seriously at all.
Mike Gravel: the former GOP senator. He is the least libertarian of them all.

Root hit it big on two issues. First, on immigration, where most of the candidates said 'open the borders,' Root said that it's an economic issue, and the US economy depends on sealing the border and keeping illegals off our welfare system. Second, on the war, he said that he would bring the troops home from Iraq and reduce our overseas military footprint, as many of the others did. However, he added that we need to keep a strong military to defend our own nation, while none of the others believed that we should keep a strong military.

Gaffer
04-05-2008, 11:50 AM
I'm listening to the LP debate right now online. I'm more and more in Root's camp. Here are his current opponents:

George Phillies: an academic. He sounds very by-the-book libertarian, but uninspiring.
Christine Smith: sounds like an angry peacenik. Really angry.
Mary Ruwart: Sounds very reasonable.
Michael Jingozian: sounds like he's smoking crack. I wouldn't take this guy seriously at all.
Mike Gravel: the former GOP senator. He is the least libertarian of them all.

Root hit it big on two issues. First, on immigration, where most of the candidates said 'open the borders,' Root said that it's an economic issue, and the US economy depends on sealing the border and keeping illegals off our welfare system. Second, on the war, he said that he would bring the troops home from Iraq and reduce our overseas military footprint, as many of the others did. However, he added that we need to keep a strong military to defend our own nation, while none of the others believed that we should keep a strong military.

That's what bothers me. His cabinet will be made up of people from his party, and your hearing examples from that party. Even libertarians are going to have to pay for support with gifts of positions. He may be conservative in his ideals but he's still part of the party.

The libertarian party is made up of a lot of smaller groups uniting to form a party, much like the democrat party. I would feel much better if Root were a complete independent.

DragonStryk72
04-05-2008, 12:22 PM
Hm, actually, From how he has acted thus far, I do not believe that he would feel beholden to choose his cabinet from his party. This is a man who made his own millions, he knows how to at least hire the right people for the jobs he needs.

I doubt he is going to put anyone into the cabinet level position that's opposed to what he is doing, and frankly, he knows how to work a mic and a camera.

Actually, in as much as hil, Obama, and McCain are in the trenches, I do think he has a real chance, however small that might be, but it is better for him in the current setup to go at it as though he may not win, so that he can feel more free to throw his opinion out there.

also remember that, as far as media is concerned, he wants to limit down censorship. Liberal or not, that means millions of dollars more a year to all the big tv stations. they'll love him.

I actually wrote him an email on the Fair Tax (he's currently looking a the Flat Tax, which is really the only place i kind of meandered off the reservation a little), and I got back a personal response from him the next day, which does say alot to me. He is willingly to consider, but admitted he hadn't really read up on it, but since I had sent the site link, and the book title, he said he would read up on it.

Yurt
04-05-2008, 12:47 PM
jeff, i could not find the link to the online debate, can you fix me up? thanks

LiberalNation
04-05-2008, 12:57 PM
He doesn't have a shot in hell of getting elected anyway so who he'd pick for his cabinent doesn't really matter.

DragonStryk72
04-05-2008, 01:22 PM
He doesn't have a shot in hell of getting elected anyway so who he'd pick for his cabinent doesn't really matter.

I believe he does have a shot, thanks to the way current top 3 are acting. He has the capability to bring over a very large contingent of not only dishearten conservatives, but as well, he has the ability to pick up the swiftly growing number of people who have gotten sick of both sides.

Yes, it would be an uphill battle, but the dismissiveness, predicated only upon his being the 3rd party candidate, is against all the ideals of America, and the very concept of voting to elect our leaders.

MtnBiker
04-05-2008, 01:26 PM
Which legistislators would work with him as president and why?

LiberalNation
04-05-2008, 01:31 PM
Yes, it would be an uphill battle, but the dismissiveness, predicated only upon his being the 3rd party candidate, is against all the ideals of America, and the very concept of voting to elect our leaders.

I'm dismissive because this is the first time I've even heard the guys name, I'm dismissive because the majority of American will go to the polls never hearing of him either, Ralph Nadar will get more votes then this guy.

MtnBiker
04-05-2008, 02:01 PM
I'm dismissive because this is the first time I've even heard the guys name, I'm dismissive because the majority of American will go to the polls never hearing of him either, Ralph Nadar will get more votes then this guy.

Nader received more votes than Badnarik in 2004. How many states was Nader on the ballot in 2004?

5stringJeff
04-05-2008, 02:03 PM
jeff, i could not find the link to the online debate, can you fix me up? thanks

I listened at this link. I'm not sure if there's a link to the audio now.

http://kcxl.com/index.html

Which legistislators would work with him as president and why?

I think he would work issue-by-issue with those legislators that agree with him on each issue.