PDA

View Full Version : Whaling protester says Japanese shot him in high-seas clash

LiberalNation
03-09-2008, 12:57 AM
Seems the whale people are doing their fair share of the attacking. Get what you get.......

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080307/wl_asia_afp/australiajapanwhalingcaptain;_ylt=AjxEeq2itllTF24i bjm_.4BvaA8F

[quote]SYDNEY (AFP) - The captain of a protest ship harassing Japanese whalers in the Southern Ocean said he was shot in a high-seas clash Friday and his crew members pelted with flash grenades, injuring one.

Paul Watson, captain of the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society ship, said he was shot in his bullet-proof vest, although Australian Foreign Minister Stephen Smith and Japanese officials insisted only warning devices were fired.

"What hit me was a bullet, it wasn't a flash grenade. We pulled it out of the vest," Watson told ABC radio.

He said the crew of the Sea Shepherd's ship Steve Irwin was throwing stink bombs at the whaling ship Nisshin Maru when guards posted on the Japanese vessel responded with flash grenades.

He said he felt a thud during the confrontation and later found a bullet lodged in his Kevlar vest, which he said hit with enough force to bruise his chest.

"If I wasn't wearing the vest, it would have been pretty serious," he said.

Watson did not give details of the injuries of the crew member he said was hurt by a flash grenade.

Smith said Japan initially advised Australian officials that shots had been fired but later clarified the incident.

"Japanese officials have now advised the Australian embassy in Tokyo that during the incident in the Southern Ocean this afternoon, three warning balls -- also known as flashbangs -- had been fired," Smith said in a statement.

"Japanese officials have advised that these devices are designed to make a loud noise but not to injure, and that no gunshots had been fired."

The latest clash comes after Sea Shepherd activists on Monday hurled stink bombs onto the Japanese whaling ship, slightly injuring three crew and coast guard members on board, according to Japan.

The Sea Shepherd said it threw rotten butter. Japanese officials described the substance as butyric acid, which is stinging to the eyes.

"Whales might be cute, precious animals, but injuring human beings to protect whales is unforgivable," Chief Cabinet Secretary Nobutaka Machimura said after Friday's incident.

"I think the government has to take necessary measures, which includes the use of warning balls."

In January, a pair of Sea Shepherd protesters were held for two days after boarding a Japanese whaler before being handed over to an Australian customs vessel, and then returning to the Steve Irwin.

Japan kills up to 1,000 whales a year using a loophole in a 1986 global moratorium on whaling that allows "lethal research" on the giant mammals.

Australia has led international diplomatic efforts to end the cull but Smith said he condemned actions by crew members of any vessel that could cause injury.

"The Australian government once again calls on all parties in the Southern Ocean -- including all protest and whaling vessels, and their respective crews -- to exercise restraint," he said.

"The Australian government strongly discourages activity which could be illegal, or unsafe activity which could lead to injury or loss of life at sea."

Watson said the latest confrontation would not stop Sea Shepherd's efforts to disrupt the whaling season, which still has about two weeks to run.

Hugh Lincoln
03-09-2008, 09:50 AM
Good. Live by the green sword, die by the metal one.

82Marine89
03-09-2008, 10:12 AM
"Whales might be cute, precious animals, but injuring human beings to protect whales is unforgivable," Chief Cabinet Secretary Nobutaka Machimura said after Friday's incident.

:clap:

theHawk
03-09-2008, 10:24 AM
He said the crew of the Sea Shepherd's ship Steve Irwin was throwing stink bombs at the whaling ship Nisshin Maru when guards posted on the Japanese vessel responded with flash grenades.

Sounds to me like this jackass is the one that started to get 'violent' first. He attacked them, they shot back. He sounds like a hypocrit for getting angry that they got 'violent' and shot him, when in fact he was the one who instigated it by using force of his own.

Mr. P
03-09-2008, 11:56 AM
:laugh2: Reminds me of the Green Peace boat that was run over by a ship they were harassing years ago. I think they learned you can't stop a ship with an inflatable. :laugh2:

manu1959
03-09-2008, 12:51 PM
:laugh2: Reminds me of the Green Peace boat that was run over by a ship they were harassing years ago. I think they learned you can't stop a ship with an inflatable. :laugh2:

it was a french ship......it was celebrated as a great naval victory....no....

nevadamedic
03-09-2008, 01:17 PM
Seems the whale people are doing their fair share of the attacking. Get what you get.......

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080307/wl_asia_afp/australiajapanwhalingcaptain;_ylt=AjxEeq2itllTF24i bjm_.4BvaA8F

[quote]SYDNEY (AFP) - The captain of a protest ship harassing Japanese whalers in the Southern Ocean said he was shot in a high-seas clash Friday and his crew members pelted with flash grenades, injuring one.

Paul Watson, captain of the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society ship, said he was shot in his bullet-proof vest, although Australian Foreign Minister Stephen Smith and Japanese officials insisted only warning devices were fired.

"What hit me was a bullet, it wasn't a flash grenade. We pulled it out of the vest," Watson told ABC radio.

He said he felt a thud during the confrontation and later found a bullet lodged in his Kevlar vest, which he said hit with enough force to bruise his chest.

"If I wasn't wearing the vest, it would have been pretty serious," he said.

Watson did not give details of the injuries of the crew member he said was hurt by a flash grenade.

Smith said Japan initially advised Australian officials that shots had been fired but later clarified the incident.

"Japanese officials have now advised the Australian embassy in Tokyo that during the incident in the Southern Ocean this afternoon, three warning balls -- also known as flashbangs -- had been fired," Smith said in a statement.

"Japanese officials have advised that these devices are designed to make a loud noise but not to injure, and that no gunshots had been fired."

The latest clash comes after Sea Shepherd activists on Monday hurled stink bombs onto the Japanese whaling ship, slightly injuring three crew and coast guard members on board, according to Japan.

The Sea Shepherd said it threw rotten butter. Japanese officials described the substance as butyric acid, which is stinging to the eyes.

"I think the government has to take necessary measures, which includes the use of warning balls."

In January, a pair of Sea Shepherd protesters were held for two days after boarding a Japanese whaler before being handed over to an Australian customs vessel, and then returning to the Steve Irwin.

Japan kills up to 1,000 whales a year using a loophole in a 1986 global moratorium on whaling that allows "lethal research" on the giant mammals.

Australia has led international diplomatic efforts to end the cull but Smith said he condemned actions by crew members of any vessel that could cause injury.

"The Australian government once again calls on all parties in the Southern Ocean -- including all protest and whaling vessels, and their respective crews -- to exercise restraint," he said.

"The Australian government strongly discourages activity which could be illegal, or unsafe activity which could lead to injury or loss of life at sea."

Watson said the latest confrontation would not stop Sea Shepherd's efforts to disrupt the whaling season, which still has about two weeks to run.

The Japs never get anything right. We have already had a couple big bbq's over there and we needs to have some more.

82Marine89
03-09-2008, 01:20 PM
The Japs never get anything right. We have already had a couple big bbq's over there and we needs to have some more.

Were your folks related before they got married?

Mr. P
03-09-2008, 02:47 PM
it was a french ship......it was celebrated as a great naval victory....no....

I don't remember, but if it was a French ship, yeah it was a Naval victory! :laugh2:

nevadamedic
03-09-2008, 02:50 PM
Were your folks related before they got married?

Nope, but yours were.