PDA

View Full Version : School officials punish boy for wearing T-shirt with picture of gun

Little-Acorn
03-10-2008, 04:10 PM
Yup, the zero-tolerance folks have bagged another hardened criminal. Gee, I feel safer already.

Will these liberals EVER get tired of abusing power and violating people's rights in pursuit of their "perfect society", where nobody has to be scared by the guns liberals have tried to make us so scared of?

Probably the longest-lasting result of this incident: This boy will have complete contempt for authority, for many years to come. The saddest part is, he'll be right.

-----------------------------

http://www.townhall.com/news/us/2008/03/10/boy_punished_for_t-shirt_with_gun_image

Boy Punished for T-Shirt With Gun Image

Monday, March 10, 2008

The family of a middle school student who was given detention for wearing a T-shirt bearing the image of a gun has filed a federal freedom of speech lawsuit against the school district.

Donald Miller III, 14, went to Penn Manor High School in December wearing a T-shirt he said was intended to honor his uncle, a U.S. Army soldier fighting in Iraq.

The shirt bears the image of a military sidearm and on the front pocket says "Volunteer Homeland Security." On the back, over another image of the weapon, are the words "Special issue Resident Lifetime License _ United States Terrorist Hunting Permit _ Permit No. 91101 _ Gun Owner _ No Bag Limit."

Officials at the Millersville school told him to turn his shirt inside out. When Miller refused, he got two days of detention.

His parents, Donald and Tina Miller of Holtwood, have accused the Penn Manor School District in a lawsuit of violating their son's First Amendment rights with a "vague Orwellian policy" that stifles both patriotism and free speech.

But an attorney for the school district said school must create a safe environment for students in the post-Columbine era, and bringing even the image of a gun to school violates the district's policy.

"There's a much higher level of sensitivity these days," Penn Manor attorney Kevin French said.

Juantew
03-10-2008, 04:25 PM
Yup, the zero-tolerance folks have bagged another hardened criminal. Gee, I feel safer already.

Will these liberals EVER get tired of abusing power and violating people's rights in pursuit of their "perfect society", where nobody has to be scared by the guns liberals have tried to make us so scared of?

Probably the longest-lasting result of this incident: This boy will have complete contempt for authority, for many years to come. The saddest part is, he'll be right.

-----------------------------

http://www.townhall.com/news/us/2008/03/10/boy_punished_for_t-shirt_with_gun_image

Boy Punished for T-Shirt With Gun Image

Monday, March 10, 2008

The family of a middle school student who was given detention for wearing a T-shirt bearing the image of a gun has filed a federal freedom of speech lawsuit against the school district.

Donald Miller III, 14, went to Penn Manor High School in December wearing a T-shirt he said was intended to honor his uncle, a U.S. Army soldier fighting in Iraq.

The shirt bears the image of a military sidearm and on the front pocket says "Volunteer Homeland Security." On the back, over another image of the weapon, are the words "Special issue Resident Lifetime License _ United States Terrorist Hunting Permit _ Permit No. 91101 _ Gun Owner _ No Bag Limit."

Officials at the Millersville school told him to turn his shirt inside out. When Miller refused, he got two days of detention.

His parents, Donald and Tina Miller of Holtwood, have accused the Penn Manor School District in a lawsuit of violating their son's First Amendment rights with a "vague Orwellian policy" that stifles both patriotism and free speech.

But an attorney for the school district said school must create a safe environment for students in the post-Columbine era, and bringing even the image of a gun to school violates the district's policy.

"There's a much higher level of sensitivity these days," Penn Manor attorney Kevin French said.
"Why are there so many mass murders in disarmed victim zones?"
"It has to do with the reason they aren't at shooting ranges".

In the Heller Vs D.C. case before the supreme court at present, the case was brought by an armed security guard who was denied a permit to have a working weapon in his own home. The government's arguement (and it isn't just DC) is though the constitution does provide for an armed civilian militia, BUT WE DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT TO SELF DEFENSE.

Yurt
03-10-2008, 04:29 PM
"Why are there so many mass murders in disarmed victim zones?"
"It has to do with the reason they aren't at shooting ranges".

In the Heller Vs D.C. case before the supreme court at present, the case was brought by an armed security guard who was denied a permit to have a working weapon in his own home. The government's arguement (and it isn't just DC) is though the constitution does provide for an armed civilian militia, BUT WE DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT TO SELF DEFENSE.

but why do you need to defend yourself if the government will do it for you?

Little-Acorn
03-10-2008, 04:44 PM
but why do you need to defend yourself if the government will do it for you?

You're joking, right?

gabosaurus
03-10-2008, 04:58 PM
Dude, we know where to find Town Hall (and the other right-wing wacko blogs). You don't have to keep reprinting that shit here.

Otherwise, in many schools, it is against regulations to wear a shirt with ANY printing on it. Much less a design that advocates violence.

Yurt
03-10-2008, 05:00 PM
You're joking, right?

why, does it matter?

Yurt
03-10-2008, 05:00 PM
Dude, we know where to find Town Hall (and the other right-wing wacko blogs). You don't have to keep reprinting that shit here.

Otherwise, in many schools, it is against regulations to wear a shirt with ANY printing on it. Much less a design that advocates violence.

a picture of a gun, by itself, is advocating violence?

DragonStryk72
03-10-2008, 05:02 PM
I think the student body should get together and all wear little pictures of guns on paper pinned to their shirts

gabosaurus
03-10-2008, 05:04 PM
a picture of a gun, by itself, is advocating violence?

What do you think it advocates? DUH!!
If you wear a T-shirt with a picture of Osama bin Laden, is that advocating terrorism?
How about a picture of a concentration camp oven?
Stop being a clueless idiot and figure out what is going on.

DragonStryk72
03-10-2008, 05:11 PM
If you wear a T-shirt with a picture of Osama bin Laden, is that advocating terrorism?

What about a shirt with a picture of a gun upside Bin Laden's head? Or a picture of a marine holding his M-16 assault rifle at ready, and saluting?

You are not applying context, and thus, in this instance, your position is one made out of fear. This was an obviously anti-terrorism display, and the only anyone seemed to see was he little picture of a gun on the shirt.

Yurt
03-10-2008, 05:12 PM

do women ever commit violence? if i had a picture of a woman on my shirt, would you outlaw that?

what about a kitchen knife? what about a car? any brand. what about gravity, gravity kills. what about water, people drown. water kills. what about the very internet you are using, people have used that to kill.

gabosaurus
03-10-2008, 05:19 PM
The gun nuts are really going overboard with this one.
I prefer the school system I went to. No photos or designs of ANY kind. That way, there is no question about the intention.

Yurt
03-10-2008, 05:21 PM
I prefer the school system I went to. No photos or designs of ANY kind. That way, there is no question about the intention.

so you support blanks? nice easy out gabs.

Little-Acorn
03-10-2008, 05:21 PM

But it's "The Republicans" who prefer censorship. Got it.

:poke:

LiberalNation
03-10-2008, 05:24 PM
Pretty standard dress code rule for schools. No images that depict weapons, drugs, or booze.

DragonStryk72
03-10-2008, 05:25 PM

Wow, dude, I went to CATHOLIC school, and that sucks compared to mine. Geez, it's not that bad, people can wear things with pictures on them and not be them, really, I've seen it. I mean, yeah, there are some blatantly offensive shirts, I'm not arguing that, but the mere hint of a gun, and it's offensive, regardless of context?

It wouldn't even be a big deal if people would stop making it one. Jesus, it's not like he tried to start armed rebellion. He threw on a shirt and went to school, then refused to look like a dumbass with his shirt inside-out all day.

BTW, when did I become a gun nut? Most of my point is simple, the whole thing is stupid and pointless. It's not worth making news over.

Yurt
03-10-2008, 05:26 PM
Pretty standard dress code rule for schools. No images that depict weapons, drugs, or booze.

so that is not censorship to you?

Yurt
03-10-2008, 05:28 PM
Wow, dude, I went to CATHOLIC school, and that sucks compared to mine. Geez, it's not that bad, people can wear things with pictures on them and not be them, really, I've seen it. I mean, yeah, there are some blatantly offensive shirts, I'm not arguing that, but the mere hint of a gun, and it's offensive, regardless of context?

It wouldn't even be a big deal if people would stop making it one. Jesus, it's not like he tried to start armed rebellion. He threw on a shirt and went to school, then refused to look like a dumbass with his shirt inside-out all day.

BTW, when did I become a gun nut? Most of my point is simple, the whole thing is stupid and pointless. It's not worth making news over.

as soon as you disagree with my friend gabs, you are a nut.

since she is hot, i recommend, agreeing with her at least sometimes, the way she describes posters in your bedroom is to die for......

LiberalNation
03-10-2008, 05:46 PM
so that is not censorship to you?

It is, I think all dress codes should be done away with in public school.

Just saying this ain't somethin that's really "news" to anyone that has ever gone to a public school in the last 15 years.

Yurt
03-10-2008, 05:57 PM
It is, I think all dress codes should be done away with in public school.

Just saying this ain't somethin that's really "news" to anyone that has ever gone to a public school in the last 15 years.

fair enough. my junior high -- would/could not wear red or blue hats, scarfs or clothing that was essentially "red" "blue"

it was to discourage gangs. since i went through the change, i can tell you first hand it did not work. they simply wore "grey" with a pinprick colors. and, they knew what gang you were from. another interesting tidbit -- this girl i was friends with, she wanted me (scared was i), but since she liked me, i didn't have problems in the 8th, 9th grade. she told me that when she left home and walked to school if she missed the city bus, and even if she caught the bus, she always wore "grey" colors. she was scared for her life.

the school policy, while censorship, did make her school life easier. according to her. i believe her.

that being.... seems at some point, censorship does have its place, no?

the gangs are still there....

Juantew
03-10-2008, 09:02 PM
In the schools my kids go to they can't wear a blank T shirt.. It classifies as underwear.

The zero tolerance thing goes too far. One girl got expelled for sharing a litterally lifesaving breath of her albuteral inhaler.

Juantew
03-10-2008, 09:37 PM
'Why would you want to carry a gun?"
"Because a cop is too heavy!"

eighballsidepocket
03-11-2008, 12:53 PM
I'm not anti-gun, and infact do go out to the old County run gun range and shoot trap, and some rifle-target shooting once in a while.
I do think that kids shirts or what they wear to school should at least be somewhat neutral in the area of conveying messages via pictures or words.

School for years has become a big old flaunt your cause, or likes type of thing, on shirts.
My grandson's elementary school in San Jose, Ca., requires uniforms of sorts. Boys must where brown or dark long pants, with light, solid colored tuck-in shirts.

I don't know the girls dress-code, but is probably similar in the category of solid colors without pictures or words, and dresses that are of decent length too.
Parents that let their kids go to school with shirts that depict rock bands that have skulls, and weird emblems that are rather Macabre, should in my opinion be off limits.

School is for the 3 "r's", not for showing off our lifestyle preferences. It can be distracting too. I don't know when this type of dressing started in public schools or when it was allowed, but I can't remember it happening at all when I was in highschool back in the 60's.

I think it is similar to the slowly boiling frog effect. leniency towards what the students wore to school happened, and then it just got out of hand.
Not a Catholic, but Catholic schools have been following a dress code for years, and I can now see their angle. Kids aren't coming to school for a vanity parade, but to learn, some math, reading, history, and decent social interaction, without showing off their family culture.
A dress code that prohibits pictures/words, or risque clothing, and encourages modest wear, will keep the learning environment stable, and less distracted by peer pressure/influence.

Hagbard Celine
03-11-2008, 12:55 PM
(shrug) Schools also don't allow shirts with alcohol, tobacco, drug, sexual or gang messages either. The kid knew better than to wear the gun thirt because every school goes over the rules on the first day of school.

eighballsidepocket
03-11-2008, 01:09 PM
(shrug) Schools also don't allow shirts with alcohol, tobacco, drug, sexual or gang messages either. The kid knew better than to wear the gun thirt because every school goes over the rules on the first day of school.

As far as the kid knowing, I hold the parents responsible, as they should know the rules as well, if not better than their kid. Especially if your school child is kindergarten or early elementary aged, the parents should be on top of things when it comes to what their kids put on for school each morning.

The parents should be reprimanded, unless their kids, changes his/her's shirts/clothes after going out the door, and is fooling mom and pop.

So punishing a kindergartener for improper dress, I believe is wrong. The child shouldn't be withheld from attending school, but the parents should get some official notification that if the incorrect clothing continues, then their child will have to be withheld from attending, or some "fine" could be levied, possibly.

You'd be surprised how many anti-authoritarian grown-ups roam the countryside, and they are even parents. :(

It's not unlike the folks that jump out of the stands and beat-up the Little League umpire because Johnny or Sissy was called out at home plate. Parents often live-out their lame and messed up lives through their progeny, and take anything punitive against their progeny by society, as a wrong done against them personally. They are just children in adult bodies themselves.......often over indulged as kids, and were not disciplined or made to observe and respect boundaries in their own growing up.

Remember, you've got a big old generation of "Question Authority" grownups from the 60's-70's. that have projected their anti-authoritarian bent onto their children, and those children are now becoming parents.