PDA

View Full Version : Principal deems Jesus chant offensive

LiberalNation
02-24-2007, 06:00 PM
It was going a bit overboard.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070224/ap_on_re_us/jesus_chant;_ylt=AklvgqYmqZAvNwsXvQhDcUxvzwcF

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. - A Catholic school principal has organized sensitivity training for students who shouted "We love Jesus" during a basketball game against a school with Jewish students.

The word "Jew" also was painted on a gym wall behind the seats of Bishop Sullivan Catholic High School students attending the Feb. 2 game at Norfolk Academy, said Dennis W. Price, principal of the Virginia Beach school.

Price who also watched the game, said the rivals exchanged chants, "Then, at some point, our students were chanting, 'We love Jesus.'"

"It was obviously in reference to the Jewish population of Norfolk Academy; that's the only way you can take that," he added.

Price said he sent a letter of apology to Norfolk. Dennis G. Manning, the academy's headmaster, declined to comment.

Several Sullivan students met with Norfolk Academy's cultural diversity club Thursday as part of a series of events aimed at promoting tolerance, Price said.

He has arranged for the Virginia Conference for Community and Justice and the United Jewish Federation of Tidewater to work with students.

A message left for the United Jewish Federation of Tidewater was not immediately returned Saturday.

Price also has consulted the Anti-Defamation League, a national group that fights anti-Semitism.

"It is important that we work harder at having students leaving here who are tolerant and understand how serious these kinds of things are," said Price, who said diversity training will be incorporated permanently at Sullivan.

Abbey Marie
02-24-2007, 06:04 PM
It sounds like they were trying to be provocative. I think they need a scolding about being obnoxious, but I really despise the whole "sensitivity training" thang.

Dilloduck
02-24-2007, 06:04 PM
It was going a bit overboard.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070224/ap_on_re_us/jesus_chant;_ylt=AklvgqYmqZAvNwsXvQhDcUxvzwcF

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. - A Catholic school principal has organized sensitivity training for students who shouted "We love Jesus" during a basketball game against a school with Jewish students.

The word "Jew" also was painted on a gym wall behind the seats of Bishop Sullivan Catholic High School students attending the Feb. 2 game at Norfolk Academy, said Dennis W. Price, principal of the Virginia Beach school.

Price who also watched the game, said the rivals exchanged chants, "Then, at some point, our students were chanting, 'We love Jesus.'"

"It was obviously in reference to the Jewish population of Norfolk Academy; that's the only way you can take that," he added.

Price said he sent a letter of apology to Norfolk. Dennis G. Manning, the academy's headmaster, declined to comment.

Several Sullivan students met with Norfolk Academy's cultural diversity club Thursday as part of a series of events aimed at promoting tolerance, Price said.

He has arranged for the Virginia Conference for Community and Justice and the United Jewish Federation of Tidewater to work with students.

A message left for the United Jewish Federation of Tidewater was not immediately returned Saturday.

Price also has consulted the Anti-Defamation League, a national group that fights anti-Semitism.

"It is important that we work harder at having students leaving here who are tolerant and understand how serious these kinds of things are," said Price, who said diversity training will be incorporated permanently at Sullivan.

If we're going to stop people from going "overboard" we better start working on a big ass jail.

LiberalNation
02-24-2007, 06:05 PM
This is a school not the general public. Never said anything about throwing them in jail either so I don't know where you're getting that.

Dilloduck
02-24-2007, 06:14 PM
This is a school not the general public. Never said anything about throwing them in jail either so I don't know where you're getting that.

I was alluding to the fact that people go "overboard"------a lot. Should we shut em all up ?

LiberalNation
02-24-2007, 06:17 PM
no but in this instance in a school I'd say it might be a good idea. It's a private school and it makes them llok bad so they have reason to try to stop it.

In general public setting I would say no, not at all. It is their right to practice free speech.

Dilloduck
02-24-2007, 06:26 PM
no but in this instance in a school I'd say it might be a good idea. It's a private school and it makes them llok bad so they have reason to try to stop it.

In general public setting I would say no, not at all. It is their right to practice free speech.

I think the Jews shoulda yelled "We love Moses".

Abbey Marie
02-24-2007, 06:27 PM
I think the Jew shoulda yelled "We love Moses".

Rabble-rouser! :coffee:

5stringJeff
02-24-2007, 09:48 PM
Not sure how those Catholics are trying to win the Jewish kids over to Jesus by rubbing it in their faces.

Dilloduck
02-24-2007, 10:23 PM
Not sure how those Catholics are trying to win the Jewish kids over to Jesus by rubbing it in their faces.

I doubt they were trying to win anyone over in a basketball game. It's High School rivalry. You're supposed to rag the other teams fans !!

Pale Rider
02-25-2007, 12:28 PM
So they chanted we love Jesus. They never did say what it was about that they found upsetting.

Did they consider that proselytising, and thus offensive?

Dilloduck
02-25-2007, 12:31 PM
So they chanted we love Jesus. They never did say what it was about that they found upsetting.

Did they consider that proselytising, and thus offensive?

Apparently the principal assumed it was hateful. It's that "perception" thing again.

Pale Rider
02-25-2007, 12:49 PM
Apparently the principal assumed it was hateful. It's that "perception" thing again.

Call me thick, but I don't really see how it was hatefel, or offensive. Them chanting that, to them, was support for something they believed, same as hoorah for them team.

I think the skin is a little thin in this story.

Dilloduck
02-25-2007, 12:54 PM
Call me thick, but I don't really see how it was hatefel, or offensive. They chanting what, to them, was support for something they believed, same as hoorah for them team.

I think the skin is a little thin in this story.

America is now full of "sacred cows". Ironic in the land of "free speech"

Pale Rider
02-25-2007, 12:58 PM
America is now full of "sacred cows". Ironic in the lnd of "free speech"

And that, my friend, is why I take so much PLEASURE in being as politically UNcorrect as possible. :salute:

Dilloduck
02-25-2007, 01:07 PM
And that, my friend, is why I take so much PLEASURE in being as politically UNcorrect as possible. :salute:

When people throw in the disclaimer "as long as it doesn't bother anyone" the freedom of speech is gone. Pandering to weakness begets more weakness.

Gunny
02-25-2007, 01:14 PM
I doubt they were trying to win anyone over in a basketball game. It's High School rivalry. You're supposed to rag the other teams fans !!

I agree with you partially. It more than like wasn't thought out past the "annoy the other team" part with the kids.

At the same time, one should be able to draw a line as to when and where it's going too far.

Cownapping BEVO is all in fun. BBQing him would be taking it a little far.

Dilloduck
02-25-2007, 01:21 PM
I agree with you partially. It more than like wasn't thought out past the "annoy the other team" part with the kids.

At the same time, one should be able to draw a line as to when and where it's going too far.

Cownapping BEVO is all in fun. BBQing him would be taking it a little far.

LOL---the Aggies already did that one.

Gunny
02-25-2007, 01:22 PM
LOL---the Aggies already did that one.

I just don't see the point to giving the other team a reason to get motivated.

Dilloduck
02-25-2007, 01:30 PM
I just don't see the point to giving the other team a reason to get motivated.

I love rivalries ! Both teams get all pumped and say shit about the other team and after it's over you will see the aggies and longhorns always shaking hands and chatting after the game. Friendly competition bleeds off a lot of hostility that might be dangerous if expressed elsewhere or otherwise.

Politically Correctness in sports ? Fooey !

Gunny
02-25-2007, 01:58 PM
I love rivalries ! Both teams get all pumped and say shit about the other team and after it's over you will see the aggies and longhorns always shaking hands and chatting after the game. Friendly competition bleeds off a lot of hostility that might be dangerous if expressed elsewhere or otherwise.

Politically Correctness in sports ? Fooey !

I have no problem with sports rivalries, but you DO sound like a typical Texan where school sports are concerned.:laugh2:

I just think some discretion should be used about certain things. Chanting "we love Jesus" to a group of Jewish students/athletes is going a bit far, IMO. And I would think exactly the same if the Jewish students were chanting "Jesus ain't God," or some such crap.

I don't see muh room for religion nor politics in sports, and it leads to nothing but trouble, and at the very least, some sensationalist reporting as is the case here.

Dilloduck
02-25-2007, 02:07 PM
I have no problem with sports rivalries, but you DO sound like a typical Texan where school sports are concerned.:laugh2:

I just think some discretion should be used about certain things. Chanting "we love Jesus" to a group of Jewish students/athletes is going a bit far, IMO. And I would think exactly the same if the Jewish students were chanting "Jesus ain't God," or some such crap.

I don't see muh room for religion nor politics in sports, and it leads to nothing but trouble, and at the very least, some sensationalist reporting as is the case here.

Certainly the sensationalist reporter took advantage of the opportunity to portray high school students as anti-semitic which probably the MOST offensive of anything that took place that night.

Gunny
02-25-2007, 02:10 PM
Certainly the sensationalist reporter took advantage of the opportunity to portray high school students as anti-semitic which probably the MOST offensive of anything that took place that night.

I agree, and I don't think doing so is right in any way. In the same token, if it was a predominantly white school against a predominantly black school, would it be okay to make racial slurs?

IMO, no.

Dilloduck
02-25-2007, 02:26 PM
I agree, and I don't think doing so is right in any way. In the same token, if it was a predominantly white school against a predominantly black school, would it be okay to make racial slurs?

IMO, no.

Where is the slur in "We love Jesus" ????? damn---pretty soon we're gonna be just bannning whites because we know how they REALLY feel inside.
I guess saying " I like white" would be offensive too ?

manu1959
02-25-2007, 02:28 PM
I think the Jews shoulda yelled "We love Moses".

i think they should have yelled........still have your foreskin?

Dilloduck
02-25-2007, 02:31 PM
i think they should have yelled........still have your foreskin?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Gunny
02-25-2007, 08:47 PM
Where is the slur in "We love Jesus" ????? damn---pretty soon we're gonna be just bannning whites because we know how they REALLY feel inside.
I guess saying " I like white" would be offensive too ?

You going to play this. 'Dillo? Chanting "we love Jesus" is definitely taking a shot at the fact that Jews do not hold him in the same regard Christians do, and you know it.

The chant in and of itself is not offensive. It's the time, place and audience it was directed to that makes it perhaps not even offensive but inciteful.

I have absolutely no problem with freedom of expression. But I believe in doing so in a proper forum. A basketball game is NOT my idea of a proper forum for expressing religious beliefs; especially, when the opposition and probably half the spectators do not hold the same beliefs.

IMO, along with being white and Christian, goes the responsibility to not behave like ethnic minorities and/or some other religions such as Islam do. That isn't backing down a bit. When have you EVER seen me do THAT? It's about not starting shit for no reason.

Dilloduck
02-25-2007, 08:58 PM
:lame2:
You going to play this. 'Dillo? Chanting "we love Jesus" is definitely taking a shot at the fact that Jews do not hold him in the same regard Christians do, and you know it.

The chant in and of itself is not offensive. It's the time, place and audience it was directed to that makes it perhaps not even offensive but inciteful.

I have absolutely no problem with freedom of expression. But I believe in doing so in a proper forum. A basketball game is NOT my idea of a proper forum for expressing religious beliefs; especially, when the opposition and probably half the spectators do not hold the same beliefs.

IMO, along with being white and Christian, goes the responsibility to not behave like ethnic minorities and/or some other religions such as Islam do. That isn't backing down a bit. When have you EVER seen me do THAT? It's about not starting shit for no reason.

Whites have a responsibilty "to not behave like ethnic minorities" ? What in the hell does that mean ?

Pale Rider
02-26-2007, 01:42 AM

Whites have a responsibilty "to not behave like ethnic minorities" ? What in the hell does that mean ?

It means there's a double standard.

LOki
02-27-2007, 07:06 PM
I think the Jews shoulda yelled "We love Moses".I think the Jews should have started singing,<blockquote><I>Jesus, Jesus, Bo-Besus; Banana, Fana, Fo-Fesus; Me, My, Mo-Mesus...Jesus!</i></blockquote>That, at least, is what this LOki would find amusing.

Gunny
02-27-2007, 09:54 PM

Kind of taking what I posted out of context of the thread aren't you?

shattered
02-27-2007, 09:55 PM
Kind of taking what I posted out of context of the thread aren't you?

He's got a new spoon. :D

Gunny
02-27-2007, 09:58 PM
It means there's a double standard.

No, there's no double-standard. There's only one standard ... being true to who and what we are.

Does that include racial/religious slurs, or even inciteful language over a stupid sporting event? Is that the standard of conduct to which you hold yourself?

I'll defend myself for being white and Christian any and every minute of every day. I'd say the double-standard is in NOT expecting others to feel EXACTLY the same about and who and what they are.

mrg666
02-28-2007, 11:11 AM
mel gibsons kids aren't there are they ?:laugh2: