PDA

View Full Version : Aggravated with the school

Trinity
03-10-2008, 06:32 PM
This morning I go through my youngest son's back pack and find a letter from the principal telling me they have some concerns with Jesse's academic progress, and they are considering holding him back to repeat the third grade. But they won't make that decision till May.

Here's the kicker included in this letter was Jesse's assessment scores for the 1st and 2nd quarters here are his scores and the goal number they want them to be at at the end of each quarter. Keep in mind that I was also told by his teacher that he did not complete these tests, and she was worried that he would not pass them.

SRI Intial score - Jesse 532 - Goal 475
SRI 1st quarter - Jesse 611 - Goal 525
SRI 2nd quarter - Jesse 693 - Goal 550
Reading level quarter - Jesse 3-2 - Goal 3-2
Math 4-sight baseline - Jesse 418 - Goal 400
Math 4-sight third quarter - Jesse 428 - Goal 400
Reading Achievement Test Jesse 406 - Goal 400

Needless to say I went to the school this morning to have a chat with his principal and to also let them know that I would be pulling Jesse out of school within the next couple of weeks so he could start homeschooling.

When I get there I got the impression that he had been anticipating a visit from me, he seemed a little nervous. We went to his office and had a chat. I told him I was suspicious that Jesse might be bipolar, and he said he knew something was going on with him, with the way he switches from one mood to another almost instantly. He asked me if I had received his letter I said yeah and that is another reason I am there to let him know I was pulling Jesse out soon to home school him.

He told me academically Jesse is very bright his concern was with his attitude and the moodiness. I said yes Jesse is very intelligent. I also told him that my father suspects Jesse has a genius IQ, the principal agreed! WTF! But you want to possibly hold him back? what!:poke:

Funny thing is the principal agreed with me. He did not think the school was the best learning environment for him either, he suspected that he was bored.

Ok so the plan is they will have to tolerate Jesse for about another week or so then I can withdraw him and he can start his homeschooling.

LiberalNation
03-10-2008, 06:44 PM
That's a school. They'll be happy for you take a "trouble" kid off their hands and agree with whatever you say to see it happen. Test scores aren't the only thing that'll let a kid pass ahead a grade.

jackass
03-10-2008, 06:46 PM
Good luck with that. Make sure that he is involved in other activities where he can interact with other kids his age.. :)

Nukeman
03-10-2008, 06:53 PM
Good luck with that. Make sure that he is involved in other activities where he can interact with other kids his age.. :)
Ditto, Also remember that most school districts also have to allow home schooled children the opportunity to compete in after school sports and academic teams!!!!

Kathianne
03-10-2008, 07:24 PM
This morning I go through my youngest son's back pack and find a letter from the principal telling me they have some concerns with Jesse's academic progress, and they are considering holding him back to repeat the third grade. But they won't make that decision till May.

Here's the kicker included in this letter was Jesse's assessment scores for the 1st and 2nd quarters here are his scores and the goal number they want them to be at at the end of each quarter. Keep in mind that I was also told by his teacher that he did not complete these tests, and she was worried that he would not pass them.

SRI Intial score - Jesse 532 - Goal 475
SRI 1st quarter - Jesse 611 - Goal 525
SRI 2nd quarter - Jesse 693 - Goal 550
Reading level quarter - Jesse 3-2 - Goal 3-2
Math 4-sight baseline - Jesse 418 - Goal 400
Math 4-sight third quarter - Jesse 428 - Goal 400
Reading Achievement Test Jesse 406 - Goal 400

Needless to say I went to the school this morning to have a chat with his principal and to also let them know that I would be pulling Jesse out of school within the next couple of weeks so he could start homeschooling.

When I get there I got the impression that he had been anticipating a visit from me, he seemed a little nervous. We went to his office and had a chat. I told him I was suspicious that Jesse might be bipolar, and he said he knew something was going on with him, with the way he switches from one mood to another almost instantly. He asked me if I had received his letter I said yeah and that is another reason I am there to let him know I was pulling Jesse out soon to home school him.

He told me academically Jesse is very bright his concern was with his attitude and the moodiness. I said yes Jesse is very intelligent. I also told him that my father suspects Jesse has a genius IQ, the principal agreed! WTF! But you want to possibly hold him back? what!:poke:

Funny thing is the principal agreed with me. He did not think the school was the best learning environment for him either, he suspected that he was bored.

Ok so the plan is they will have to tolerate Jesse for about another week or so then I can withdraw him and he can start his homeschooling.
They know they cannot service him, that IS a problem, for them and you. If you can homeschool, it's probably your best choice. If not, get ready to fight to the kill.

Little-Acorn
03-10-2008, 07:34 PM
and to also let them know that I would be pulling Jesse out of school within the next couple of weeks so he could start homeschooling.

Hope you aren't in California. Homeschooling was just ruled illegal here, and parents are liable to criminal prosecution.

Trinity
03-10-2008, 08:49 PM

Oh definitely, that's the plan.

Trinity
03-10-2008, 08:58 PM
They know they cannot service him, that IS a problem, for them and you. If you can homeschool, it's probably your best choice. If not, get ready to fight to the kill.

I was curious to what you would say about this.

I know they can't help him, I knew by the response I got from his teacher when I sent her a very long email explaining Jesse's mornings, and him having thoughts of suicide, and all the other issues that makes me think he could possibly be bipolar.

Here is the email i sent his reading teacher.................

I was going to talk to you and Miss Hedge about this tomorrow, but after this mornings battle I figured I better give you a heads up now. Jesse is having some serious anxiety about school which is causing him to complain of his belly and back hurting along with his head. Are these real or imaginary. I don't know. I do know however if he does not have school, he usually wakes up just fine in the morning. I have tried everything under the sun to get him to school without all this drama. In the morning it takes me 20 minutes to get him out of bed, and another 10 to get him to get his clothes on.

I went to child focus this past week to get Jesse set up with counseling to try and figure out what is going on with him. I am waiting for them to contact me with his appointment time. Jesse was diagnosed at the age of 4 as ADHD and ODD I however refused to put a 4 year old on medication waiting to see if maybe it was an age thing and he would out grow it. I have noticed his behavior has been getting worse more so the past 9 months.

Back in August I took him to his pediatrician. Myself an his teacher from 2nd grade filled out the evaluation for ADHD at the end of 2nd grade. His doctor put him on metadate at the end of August he took 1 pill. The next day he had a horrible rash and I did not give him anymore. The day after the rash he got really upset with his brother and got a kitchen knife out and held it towards his stomach looked at my husband and I and said goodbye. Yes I was concerned and did some research on that medication and discovered it could cause suicidal thoughts but I am not sure if just one pill would cause that, it's possible.

Since then I have been doing tons of research on mood disorders, high functioning autism, ADHD, ODD, and depression based on the information I have gotten from Jesse and the behavior and symptoms I have witnessed, I suspect that he is not ADHD and ODD but is in fact bipolar which explains a lot more about his behavior then the ADHD and ODD ever did.

So here is my game plan I am getting him into counseling so they can do evaluations and assessments to determine if Jesse is in fact bipolar if he is it is then going to be a trial and error to figure out what medications will work for him. Because he obviously has severe anxiety when it comes to school I have decide to enroll him in ECOT so he can be home schooled. Jesse has always had issues about going to school ever since kindergarten and it just seems to be getting worse the older he gets. When I told him yesterday that I got him signed up and he would be able to start in a couple of weeks he was ecstatic! I don't think I have ever seen him so excited about school in his entire life. He actually went and got his desk all set up and ready for his computer, and anything else he thought he would need.

I will be in tomorrow morning for the conference. I will go into more details then, seeing that this has become quite long.

and her response.........

Thanks for sharing the info. I think I can shead so light on why he didn't want to come today. He didn't have his spelling sheet. This has happened four times in the last 8 weeks. I look forward to talking to you on Friday.

Little does she know Jesse has never in his entire life studied for a spelling test, not from the lack of me trying to get him to he just refused, funny thing is that child has missed 1 spelling word on half a dozen spelling tests since 1st grade.

Kathianne
03-10-2008, 09:10 PM
I was curious to what you would say about this.

I know they can't help him, I knew by the response I got from his teacher when I sent her a very long email explaining Jesse's mornings, and him having thoughts of suicide, and all the other issues that makes me think he could possibly be bipolar.

Here is the email i sent his reading teacher.................

I was going to talk to you and Miss Hedge about this tomorrow, but after this mornings battle I figured I better give you a heads up now. Jesse is having some serious anxiety about school which is causing him to complain of his belly and back hurting along with his head. Are these real or imaginary. I don't know. I do know however if he does not have school, he usually wakes up just fine in the morning. I have tried everything under the sun to get him to school without all this drama. In the morning it takes me 20 minutes to get him out of bed, and another 10 to get him to get his clothes on.

I went to child focus this past week to get Jesse set up with counseling to try and figure out what is going on with him. I am waiting for them to contact me with his appointment time. Jesse was diagnosed at the age of 4 as ADHD and ODD I however refused to put a 4 year old on medication waiting to see if maybe it was an age thing and he would out grow it. I have noticed his behavior has been getting worse more so the past 9 months.

Back in August I took him to his pediatrician. Myself an his teacher from 2nd grade filled out the evaluation for ADHD at the end of 2nd grade. His doctor put him on metadate at the end of August he took 1 pill. The next day he had a horrible rash and I did not give him anymore. The day after the rash he got really upset with his brother and got a kitchen knife out and held it towards his stomach looked at my husband and I and said goodbye. Yes I was concerned and did some research on that medication and discovered it could cause suicidal thoughts but I am not sure if just one pill would cause that, it's possible.

Since then I have been doing tons of research on mood disorders, high functioning autism, ADHD, ODD, and depression based on the information I have gotten from Jesse and the behavior and symptoms I have witnessed, I suspect that he is not ADHD and ODD but is in fact bipolar which explains a lot more about his behavior then the ADHD and ODD ever did.

So here is my game plan I am getting him into counseling so they can do evaluations and assessments to determine if Jesse is in fact bipolar if he is it is then going to be a trial and error to figure out what medications will work for him. Because he obviously has severe anxiety when it comes to school I have decide to enroll him in ECOT so he can be home schooled. Jesse has always had issues about going to school ever since kindergarten and it just seems to be getting worse the older he gets. When I told him yesterday that I got him signed up and he would be able to start in a couple of weeks he was ecstatic! I don't think I have ever seen him so excited about school in his entire life. He actually went and got his desk all set up and ready for his computer, and anything else he thought he would need.

I will be in tomorrow morning for the conference. I will go into more details then, seeing that this has become quite long.

and her response.........

Thanks for sharing the info. I think I can shead so light on why he didn't want to come today. He didn't have his spelling sheet. This has happened four times in the last 8 weeks. I look forward to talking to you on Friday.

Little does she know Jesse has never in his entire life studied for a spelling test, not from the lack of me trying to get him to he just refused, funny thing is that child has missed 1 spelling word on half a dozen spelling tests since 1st grade.

Oh man, both of you talking past the other. It's difficult, I don't doubt the teacher's angst at not being able to deal with or denying a problem that is not with the child or parent. At the same time, it's so hard as a parent, having a child one knows is bright, but not able to cope with what is.

How many children do you have that are able to cope? Do you want them to be shortchanged by the Jesse's? Not an easy decision, especially when one considers that behavior is not the most disruptive force in a class.

Trinity
03-10-2008, 09:18 PM
Oh man, both of you talking past the other. It's difficult, I don't doubt the teacher's angst at not being able to deal with or denying a problem that is not with the child or parent. At the same time, it's so hard as a parent, having a child one knows is bright, but not able to cope with what is.

How many children do you have that are able to cope? Do you want them to be shortchanged by the Jesse's? Not an easy decision, especially when one considers that behavior is not the most disruptive force in a class.

I agree, which is why I decided to home school him. I just hope I can figure out what is going on with him and get him back on track.

Kathianne
03-10-2008, 09:20 PM
I agree, which is why I decided to home school him. I just hope I can figure out what is going on with him and get him back on track.

If I can help in any way, just ask. It's hard, but not unreachable.