PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta, anyone?

5stringJeff
03-10-2008, 08:28 PM
I know a few of you (HC, Mr. P) are from the Greater Atlanta area. We are likely moving there this summer. I'm doing some Internet research on where exactly we should live, and I'm looking for some advice from people who live there. I'll be working at Ft. McPherson, so I'm looking to move somewhere close to there. However, I'm looking for a place with good schools and low crime. So far, I've found the Fayetteville/Peachtree City area and the Douglasville area. Is there anywhere else I ought to be looking?

jackass
03-11-2008, 01:12 PM
Heres my advice....stay where you are!!! Its friggin HOT down here!!! :)

Hagbard Celine
03-11-2008, 01:37 PM
For Ft. McPherson Peachtree City is probably your best bet. It's pretty close. Also look in Canongate and Newnan. I grew up in Newnan and it's a great town.

JohnDoe
03-11-2008, 01:41 PM
most of my friends working in Atlanta, lived north in an area called Alpharetta georgia...lovely area!

Hagbard Celine
03-11-2008, 01:52 PM
Alpharetta's nice, but Ft. McPherson is in south Atlanta. My Mom is stationed there and she lives in Newnan.

Yurt
03-11-2008, 01:56 PM
great site for city info

http://www.city-data.com/forum/

Mr. P
03-11-2008, 02:12 PM
I know a few of you (HC, Mr. P) are from the Greater Atlanta area. We are likely moving there this summer. I'm doing some Internet research on where exactly we should live, and I'm looking for some advice from people who live there. I'll be working at Ft. McPherson, so I'm looking to move somewhere close to there. However, I'm looking for a place with good schools and low crime. So far, I've found the Fayetteville/Peachtree City area and the Douglasville area. Is there anywhere else I ought to be looking?

What's close to there mean for you, Jeff?

Fayetteville/Peachtree City are both ok..P'tree city is a bit spensive, many airline employees (pilots) down there. Fayetteville isn't bad, Douglasville is a bit REDneck. Stockbidge and McDonough, GA both SE of Ft. Mac are ok also.

Traffic. Anywhere from I-75 east to I-85 on the north side of town (outside I-285) is a congestion nightmare for a commute, and expensive.

STAY AWAY for CLAYTON COUNTY on the south side!

Trigg
03-11-2008, 02:32 PM
I am going to have to drive through that city yet again this Spring Break on my way to Fl. Just one question.

DOES CONSTRUCTION EVER END IN THAT GOD FORSAKEN PLACE???????

Nothing against Georgia, it just takes all day to drive through.

Mr. P
03-11-2008, 03:08 PM
I am going to have to drive through that city yet again this Spring Break on my way to Fl. Just one question.

DOES CONSTRUCTION EVER END IN THAT GOD FORSAKEN PLACE???????

Nothing against Georgia, it just takes all day to drive through.

When my family moved here in 1965 they were working on the roads...ain't done yet! :laugh2:

Trigg
03-11-2008, 03:12 PM
When my family moved here in 1965 they were working on the roads...ain't done yet! :laugh2:

I'll wave to ya as I go through. My vans gonna be the one with all the kids stuffed in it.:laugh2:

Mr. P
03-11-2008, 03:17 PM
I'll wave to ya as I go through. My vans gonna be the one with all the kids stuffed in it.:laugh2:

I'll give you my phone number if you'd like...in case you have some problem down this way. Always nice to have a local contact.

Trigg
03-11-2008, 03:34 PM
I'll give you my phone number if you'd like...in case you have some problem down this way. Always nice to have a local contact.

Not a bad idea, thanks

5stringJeff
03-11-2008, 03:46 PM
For Ft. McPherson Peachtree City is probably your best bet. It's pretty close. Also look in Canongate and Newnan. I grew up in Newnan and it's a great town.

I hadn't looked at Newnan, but apparently it's only about a 45 minute drive. I'll check it out.

What's close to there mean for you, Jeff?

Fayetteville/Peachtree City are both ok..P'tree city is a bit spensive, many airline employees (pilots) down there. Fayetteville isn't bad, Douglasville is a bit REDneck. Stockbidge and McDonough, GA both SE of Ft. Mac are ok also.

Traffic. Anywhere from I-75 east to I-85 on the north side of town (outside I-285) is a congestion nightmare for a commute, and expensive.

STAY AWAY for CLAYTON COUNTY on the south side!

Close for me is no more than a 45 minute drive, so Newnan is probably the furthest out I'd go. I definitely want to stay south of Atlanta - I've been once, for about four days, and experienced enough rush-hour traffic to know to avoid it.

And online, Clayton County looked bad, so I'm glad to see my hunch confirmed.

Thanks guys! :salute: