PDA

View Full Version : How To Be A Good Wife

hjmick
03-11-2008, 09:45 AM
For some folks, this is what they want from their wife and marriage:

HOW TO BE A GOOD WIFE
From a Home Economics High School Text Book, circa 1954

Have dinner ready. Plan ahead, even the night before, to have a delicious meal, on time. This is a way of letting him know that you have been thinking about him and are concerned about his needs. Most men are hungry when they come home and the prospect of a good meal are part of the warm welcome needed.

Prepare yourself. Take 15 minutes to rest so that you'll be refreshed when he arrives. Touch up your makeup, put a ribbon in your hair and be fresh-looking. He has just been with a lot of work-weary people. Be a little gay and a little more interesting. His boring day may need a lift.

Clear away the clutter. Make one last trip through the main part of the home just before your husband arrives, gather up schoolbooks, toys, paper, etc. Then run a dust cloth over the tables. Your husband will feel he has reached a haven of rest and order, and it will give you a lift, too.

Prepare the children. Take a few minutes to wash the children's hands and faces (if they are small), comb their hair, and if necessary change their clothes. They are little treasures and he would like to see them playing the part.

Minimize all noise. At the time of his arrival, eliminate all noise of the washer, dryer, dishwasher, or vacuum. Try to encourage the children to be quiet. Be happy to see him. Greet him with a warm smile and be glad he is home.

Some don'ts: Don't greet him with problems or complaints. Don't complain if he is late for dinner. Count this as minor compared with what he might have gone through that day. Make him comfortable. Have him lean back in a comfortable chair or suggest he lie down in the bedroom. Have a cool or warm drink ready for him. Arrange his pillow and offer to take off his shoes. Speak in a low, soft, soothing and pleasant voice. Allow him to relax and unwind.

Listen to him. You may have a dozen things to tell him, but the moment of his arrival is not the time. Let him talk first.

Make the evening his. Never complain if he does not take you out to dinner or to other places of entertainment. Instead, try to understand his world of strain and pressure, his need to be home and relax.

The Goal: Try to make your home a place of peace and order where your husband can renew himself in body and spirit.

How very archaic and sad. I am of the opinion that anyone seeking this type of relationship with their wife in this day and age deserves to be single. The idea that a relationship should be anything less than equal is, in my opinion, juvenile and reflects a poor understanding what a marriage is.

Personally, I prefer a more shared relationship. One in which the responsibilities of everyday life are taken care of by both people involved in the relationship. It frees up more time to enjoy each other, more time to explore the world and the relationship. My wife is my equal, I wouldn't trade that for anything.

chesswarsnow
03-11-2008, 10:03 AM
Sorry bout that,

1. But when this book got tossed out the window at our schools, so did any chance of men finding happiness it would seem.
2. I would guess this book found the trash cans about 1961.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Little-Acorn
03-11-2008, 10:29 AM
It would make the husband very happy, certainly... if he didn't mind his wife breaking her back over sometimes-trivial things.

BTW, if the wife has a career outside the home and the husband is at home, he'd be well advised to do those things for her. They would make her just as happy, I'd imagine. Why not?

nevadamedic
03-11-2008, 10:44 AM
For some folks, this is what they want from their wife and marriage:

How very archaic and sad. I am of the opinion that anyone seeking this type of relationship with their wife in this day and age deserves to be single. The idea that a relationship should be anything less than equal is, in my opinion, juvenile and reflects a poor understanding what a marriage is.

Personally, I prefer a more shared relationship. One in which the responsibilities of everyday life are taken care of by both people involved in the relationship. It frees up more time to enjoy each other, more time to explore the world and the relationship. My wife is my equal, I wouldn't trade that for anything.

Wow, finally a writer who gets it right! :salute:

truthmatters
03-11-2008, 10:47 AM
Sorry bout that,

1. But when this book got tossed out the window at our schools, so did any chance of men finding happiness it would seem.
2. I would guess this book found the trash cans about 1961.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Correction: made it impossible for men like YOU to find happiness without purchasing it.

JohnDoe
03-11-2008, 10:50 AM
I have been fortunate and have had it both ways.... I was a career person for over 20 years, my job the most stressful, out of our marriage and my husband tried to do all of those things listed above for me.

And now I am retired young and i try to do all of those things that this home ec class is teaching for my husband and enjoy every one of them! He's never had it so good!

We don't have the money that we used to have to waste on material things, but life is good regardless.....got Nature to love now!

I loved holding both of these positions....my career for decades and now this....they both are rewarding in different ways imo.

jd

hjmick
03-11-2008, 10:53 AM
It would make the husband very happy, certainly... if he didn't mind his wife breaking her back over sometimes-trivial things.

BTW, if the wife has a career outside the home and the husband is at home, he'd be well advised to do those things for her. They would make her just as happy, I'd imagine. Why not?

I know that, when I've had a day or two off of work, my wife appreciates it when I touch up my makeup and put a ribbon in my hair before she gets home. :p

truthmatters
03-11-2008, 10:56 AM
I have been fortunate and have had it both ways.... I was a career person for over 20 years, my job the most stressful, out of our marriage and my husband tried to do all of those things listed above for me.

And now I am retired young and i try to do all of those things that this home ec class is teaching for my husband and enjoy every one of them! He's never had it so good!

We don't have the money that we used to have to waste on material things, but life is good regardless.....got Nature to love now!

I loved holding both of these positions....my career for decades and now this....they both are rewarding in different ways imo.

jd

There is nothing wrong with doing these things out of love. I have been doing the same for a couple of decades now. What this guy doesnt understand is why a woman does these things volutarily. He thinks they should just do it automatically. When you treat a woman as a true equal then doing any of these types of activities never seems like a duty. They are done out of love. This guy thinks a wife is a maid you can have sex with. He could not find an American woman willing to accept that and so he went and purchased one from elsewhere. I still condend he could have found a poor American woman who would have signed the same contract.

nevadamedic
03-11-2008, 10:57 AM
I know that, when I've had a day or two off of work, my wife appreciates it when I touch up my makeup and put a ribbon in my hair before she gets home. :p

Do you wear a little pink dress too? :coffee:

hjmick
03-11-2008, 11:03 AM
Wow, finally a writer who gets it right! :salute:

Thanks. It is, of course, just my opinion, but it seems to be making for a very happy marriage.

Only if she phones at least an hour before getting home and specifically makes the request.

Pale Rider
03-11-2008, 11:12 AM

No he burned the little pink dress you sent him fag.

DragonStryk72
03-11-2008, 11:30 AM
You know, as I sat there reading that, I actually sat there like, "I swear to god, I wouldn't even know how to handle that if I came home" I'd checking for little red laser lights pointed at me, pod people, that sort of thing. I've never had any of that, so it would just be so weird to come home to that suddenly.

JohnDoe
03-11-2008, 11:39 AM
You know, as I sat there reading that, I actually sat there like, "I swear to god, I wouldn't even know how to handle that if I came home" I'd checking for little red laser lights pointed at me, pod people, that sort of thing. I've never had any of that, so it would just be so weird to come home to that suddenly.

As i read this, i could not help but laugh hardily out loud! hahahahahahahahaha! especially the checking for laser lights thing!!!!! lol

what age /decade are you in Dragon? 20's 30's 40's?

If you are young, and you save alot, someday you may have the opportunity to have what was said in the home ec book, if this is what your wife wants to do.... :D or if this is what you want to do, be a stay at home hubby while the wifey continues her career... :)

People THINK that a one person working family is out of reach in today's day and age, and it is for the most part....but it can be had with some planning and the willingness to give up all the latest, newest, gadgets and cars...and hawaii and carribean vacations...:(. lol

jd

nevadamedic
03-11-2008, 11:42 AM
No he burned the little pink dress you sent him fag.

Your onr to talk about being a fag you long haired sissy.

DragonStryk72
03-11-2008, 11:55 AM
As i read this, i could not help but laugh hardily out loud! hahahahahahahahaha! especially the checking for laser lights thing!!!!! lol

what age /decade are you in Dragon? 20's 30's 40's?

If you are young, and you save alot, someday you may have the opportunity to have what was said in the home ec book, if this is what your wife wants to do.... :D or if this is what you want to do, be a stay at home hubby while the wifey continues her career... :)

People THINK that a one person working family is out of reach in today's day and age, and it is for the most part....but it can be had with some planning and the willingness to give up all the latest, newest, gadgets and cars...and hawaii and carribean vacations...:(. lol

jd

I'm 28, and I think I've managed to find the right girl, it's just that my chain of relationships has more or less been about as far from that as it gets.

I'm good either way, if I'm the stay-at-home dad, I understand I have the same set of responsibilities as a stay-at-home mom, that's just basic fairness.

JohnDoe
03-11-2008, 12:05 PM
I'm 28, and I think I've managed to find the right girl, it's just that my chain of relationships has more or less been about as far from that as it gets.

I'm good either way, if I'm the stay-at-home dad, I understand I have the same set of responsibilities as a stay-at-home mom, that's just basic fairness.

you got some time....but start the savings now, even if only a few hundred dollars a year....make sure you do your 401k at work if they have a company match...START NOW, do not wait! Pennies saved do matter....it is hard to believe, and i wish i had followed this advice myself early on but i didn't start saving until my 30's....twenties and early 30's were spent buying things, including a house, which is where the other wealth comes from.....eventually....

Awesome on finding the right mate btw! That's the most important thing for now! :)

jd

DragonStryk72
03-11-2008, 12:10 PM
you got some time....but start the savings now, even if only a few hundred dollars a year....make sure you do your 401k at work if they have a company match...START NOW, do not wait! Pennies saved do matter....it is hard to believe, and i wish i had followed this advice myself early on but i didn't start saving until my 30's....twenties and early 30's were spent buying things, including a house, which is where the other wealth comes from.....eventually....

Awesome on finding the right mate btw! That's the most important thing for now! :)

jd

Apparently, the key is stop dating the exact wrong kind of women. that took me a while to get worked out.

Abbey Marie
03-11-2008, 12:12 PM
The author has it all wrong. Just open the door naked and smiling, and all the other stuff is unnecessary. :laugh2:

JohnDoe
03-11-2008, 12:14 PM
Apparently, the key is stop dating the exact wrong kind of women. that took me a while to get worked out.
Yeah, me with men, same deal....took a bit before i figured that out myself!

(p.s. i am a female in case you had not figured that out) :D

jd

gabosaurus
03-11-2008, 12:16 PM
My sister actually gave me a copy of that right before I got married. She had gotten it from my dad. :lmao:

JohnDoe
03-11-2008, 12:16 PM
Abbey probably speaks the truth more than anyone wants to admit!!!! lol

DragonStryk72
03-11-2008, 12:21 PM
Abbey probably speaks the truth more than anyone wants to admit!!!! lol

yeah I realized. What's really bad is that I'm the guy everyone goes to in my group for relationship advice.

Dilloduck
03-11-2008, 12:28 PM
The author has it all wrong. Just open the door naked and smiling, and all the other stuff is unnecessary. :laugh2:

Works for a while but eventually even that gets old.

Abbey Marie
03-11-2008, 12:33 PM

:dunno:

Little-Acorn
03-11-2008, 12:37 PM

It doesn't. You do.

JohnDoe
03-11-2008, 01:05 PM
yeah I realized. What's really bad is that I'm the guy everyone goes to in my group for relationship advice.hahahahahaha.... you sound alot like me....are you a Taurus on the cusp of Gemini? hahahahahaha!

Everyone i stayed friends with still comes to me for advice and it is decades later....your stuck with it...hate to break that to ya! lol

jd

Monkeybone
03-11-2008, 01:08 PM

case closed! answer the door like this and bitch how horrible your day was to your hearts content! hell, i would even make dinner

Monkeybone
03-11-2008, 01:09 PM

you're old.

JohnDoe
03-11-2008, 01:11 PM
It doesn't. You do.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! old age can stink, huh? :laugh2:

Well not with the drugs of today, i suppose.....?

truthmatters
03-11-2008, 01:18 PM
you're old.

And if you are lucky you one day will be old too.

nevadamedic
03-11-2008, 01:27 PM
Yeah, me with men, same deal....took a bit before i figured that out myself!

(p.s. i am a female in case you had not figured that out) :D

jd

Today your playing the female role? Make up your mind already! :laugh2:

Pale Rider
03-11-2008, 01:31 PM
Your onr to talk about being a fag you long haired sissy.

Let's take a look at your post shall we? First off, it should be "you're" not your, in the sense *you're* using it, and the correct spelling is "one," not onr. *You're* not only the board idiot, you also put it on display.

I think I'll stop in your store sometime this week... and see if you feel like calling me a "sissie" to my face.

JohnDoe
03-11-2008, 01:33 PM
Today your playing the female role? Make up your mind already! :laugh2:
John Doe has ALWAYS BEEN Jane Doe's alias! I have never been a man or claimed to be a man when using Jane's alias, John doe....

you have only thought i was man, but other than the user id name :D, I have given no one the reason to believe I was a man.... :laugh2:

jd

Pale Rider
03-11-2008, 01:35 PM
Today your playing the female role? Make up your mind already!

Again, moron, it's "you're," not your. No wonder you're only a rent a pig. That's all trailer trash high school drop outs like you can get hired to do.

Dilloduck
03-11-2008, 01:38 PM
It doesn't. You do.

I'm willing to bet that a marriage based only on sex would get tiresome. What kind of marriages y'all looking for here ?

Abbey Marie
03-11-2008, 01:45 PM
I'm willing to bet that a marriage based only on sex would get tiresome. What kind of marriages y'all looking for here ?

I don't think showing up at the door naked and with a smile necessarily means the marriage is based only or even primarily on sex. I do think it connotes a good kind of playfullness and willingness to please that doesn't have to grow old.

Pale Rider
03-11-2008, 01:49 PM

It would for me, but that's not to say that sex isn't important either. I'd say it's at least 50% of a good marriage. I base that on how many married people there are that aren't satisfied with their partner in bed, so they cheat.

Abbey Marie
03-11-2008, 01:51 PM
It would for me, but that's not to say that sex isn't important either. I'd say it's at least 50% of a good marriage.

My theory has always been: If the sex is good, it's not important. If it's bad, it's important.

But then there is the corollary: Sex is like pizza. Even when it's bad, it's still pretty good. :)

Monkeybone
03-11-2008, 02:00 PM
And if you are lucky you one day will be old too.

i feel old *sigh*

Pale Rider
03-11-2008, 02:08 PM
My theory has always been: If the sex is good, it's not important. If it's bad, it's important.

But then there is the corollary: Sex is like pizza. Even when it's bad, it's still pretty good. :)

I'm sure there's those around that feel lucky just to have someone willing to get into bed with them... :laugh:

But, I'm not insinuating in any way that's your case Ab. For some reason I picture you as a very well kept woman both physically and mentally.

chesswarsnow
03-11-2008, 02:49 PM
Sorry bout that,

I'm sure there's those around that feel lucky just to have someone willing to get into bed with them... :laugh:

But, I'm not insinuating in any way that's your case Ab. For some reason I picture you as a very well kept woman both physically and mentally.

1. My *Hit Meter* just went off.
2. Get a room.:laugh2:

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Trigg
03-11-2008, 02:50 PM

Now I'd be willing to give this one a try, except there are at least 2 kids home by the time hubby gets here and I don't wanna start paying for therapy with college tuition right around the corner. :laugh2:

Abbey Marie
03-11-2008, 02:52 PM
Now I'd be willing to give this one a try, except there are at least 2 kids home by the time hubby gets here and I don't wanna start paying for therapy with college tuition right around the corner. :laugh2:

:laugh2: Kids ruin everything!

Trigg
03-11-2008, 02:52 PM
Make him comfortable. Have him lean back in a comfortable chair or suggest he lie down in the bedroom. Have a cool or warm drink ready for him. Arrange his pillow and offer to take off his shoes. Speak in a low, soft, soothing and pleasant voice. Allow him to relax and unwind.

I'd try this one also, but hubby would get the "did she wreck the van or oh my god she's pregnant again" face.:laugh2::laugh2:

Pale Rider
03-11-2008, 02:57 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. My *Hit Meter* just went off.
2. Get a room.:laugh2:

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

I'll bet a dog pissing on a fire hydrant would set off your "hit meter" too. Abbey's married and she has my respect. Please show her some yourself.

chesswarsnow
03-11-2008, 03:02 PM
Sorry bout that,

I'll bet a dog pissing on a fire hydrant would set off your "hit meter" too. Abbey's married and she has my respect. Please show her some yourself.

1. I didn't know she was married.
2. But I was joking, *Mr. Serious*, all of a sudden.
3. Hummmm, dog pissing on fire hydrant, nah,...Hehehehehe,....:popcorn:

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

jackass
03-11-2008, 05:18 PM

Possibly.....but it would be alot of fun for a while!! :laugh2: