PDA

View Full Version : The Red Phone in Black and White

stephanie
03-11-2008, 11:07 PM
WoW...this guy saw more in this ad then I did...this Presidential race is becoming a JOKE...:cuckoo:

By ORLANDO PATTERSON
Published: March 11, 2008
Cambridge, Mass.

ON first watching Hillary Clinton’s recent “It’s 3 a.m.” advertisement, I was left with an uneasy feeling that something was not quite right — something that went beyond my disappointment that she had decided to go negative. Repeated watching of the ad on YouTube increased my unease. I realized that I had only too often in my study of America’s racial history seen images much like these, and the sentiments to which they allude.

I am not referring to the fact that the ad is unoriginal; as several others have noted, it mimics a similar ad made for Walter Mondale in his 1984 campaign for the Democratic nomination. What bothers me is the difference between this and the Mondale ad. The Mondale ad directly and unequivocally played on the issue of experience. The danger was that the red telephone might be answered by someone who was “unsure, unsteady, untested.” Why do I believe this? Because the phone and Mr. Mondale are the only images in the ad. Fair game in the normal politics of fear.

Not so this Clinton ad. To be sure, it states that something is “happening in the world” — although it never says what this is — and that Mrs. Clinton is better able to handle such danger because of her experience with foreign leaders. But every ad-maker, like every social linguist, knows that words are often the least important aspect of a message and are easily muted by powerful images.

I have spent my life studying the pictures and symbols of racism and slavery, and when I saw the Clinton ad’s central image — innocent sleeping children and a mother in the middle of the night at risk of mortal danger — it brought to my mind scenes from the past. I couldn’t help but think of D. W. Griffith’s “Birth of a Nation,” the racist movie epic that helped revive the Ku Klux Klan, with its portrayal of black men lurking in the bushes around white society. The danger implicit in the phone ad — as I see it — is that the person answering the phone might be a black man, someone who could not be trusted to protect us from this threat.
read the rest of this idiotic article...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/11/opinion/11patterson.html?_r=2&ref=opinion&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

hjmick
03-11-2008, 11:14 PM
He's a Black man who supports Obama, big surprise he's reading something into the ad that isn't there. Judging by the titles in his body of work, he may be a bit sensitive. That's just my opinion.

Hugh Lincoln
03-13-2008, 07:41 PM
Next they'll accuse Hillary of being a racist for refusing to kneel and kiss Obama's hand.