PDA

View Full Version : Group of Iraqis Asks UN to Take Over

Pale Rider
03-12-2008, 01:35 PM
Group of Iraqis Asks UN to Take Over

2008-03-12 10:37:12
By RYAN LENZ Associated Press Writer

BAGHDAD (AP) — A group of Iraqi tribal leaders, former politicians and intellectuals appealed Wednesday to the United Nations to take control of Iraq in a move they say would help U.S. troops leave the beleaguered country.

Both the U.S. administration and the Baghdad government are unlikely to endorse the request, which was addressed to U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and delivered to the Cairo offices of the organization.

"We believe that the only opportunity left for Iraq to be saved from a dark, but not inevitable future, is to engage the international community represented by the United Nations," the letter said. "Such a step will allow the American troops to leave and the occupation to be brought to its end."

Article continues here... (http://charter.net/news/news_reader.php?storyid=14470053&feedid=249)

Pale Rider
03-12-2008, 01:41 PM
Quote from the article....

Meanwhile, the Iraqi government on Wednesday announced a committee formed to explore ways citizens could sue U.S. forces involved in "unjustified killings," according to the prime minister's office.

... now does that also mean American troops and their families will be able to sue Iraqis for the death of their loved ones?

What a load of crap. I still believe we should get the hell out of there. Let the damn UN have it. Shit... MAKE them take it. We've been there long enough, spent enough money, and lost enough troops on that sand blow. It's time we get the hell out.

Sitarro
03-12-2008, 02:20 PM
Quote from the article....

... now does that also mean American troops and their families will be able to sue Iraqis for the death of their loved ones?

What a load of crap. I still believe we should get the hell out of there. Let the damn UN have it. Shit... MAKE them take it. We've been there long enough, spent enough money, and lost enough troops on that sand blow. It's time we get the hell out.

I've got to agree, our troops deserve the support of their whole country and even more so from the people they freed and continue to protect. Keep a couple of strategic Air Force squadrons in Qatar and Kuwait to strike if needed. We also have a huge number of Naval assets in the area, 2 carrier groups?

truthmatters
03-12-2008, 02:23 PM
We may have a breakthrough here.

They Iraqi people have said in many ways they want us to leave , the majority of Americans want us to leave. Can we stop getting our kids killed now?

Pale Rider
03-12-2008, 02:49 PM
We may have a breakthrough here.

They Iraqi people have said in many ways they want us to leave , the majority of Americans want us to leave. Can we stop getting our kids killed now?

It really has nothing to do with how many troops have been or still could be killed there... it's "what the hell are we still doing there?" I've answered that many times. It's all about georgie and his love of oil. If there wasn't the second largest oil fields in the world in Iraq, we would NOT be there. Well that just doesn't cut it with me anymore. We're nation building and occupying, a country we shouldn't really have invaded in the first place. We REALLY DO NEED to get the hell out of there, now, and that's another reason I don't like mccain. He's mister, "100 more years in Iraq." Fuck Iraq, fuch the middle east, fuck their oil, this country better get weaned of that shit and I mean fast. This war mongering we're doing in the middle east HAS TO STOP! If the terrorists hit us, HIT BACK! But don't NATION BUILD and OCCUPY countries we don't have any business IN! FUCK... I'm sick of this shit, I'm sick of hearing about it!

PostmodernProphet
03-12-2008, 02:57 PM
if I recall, we asked the UN to take over back in 2001 and they turned it down.....