PDA

View Full Version : Astronauts Check Shuttle for Damage

Pale Rider
03-12-2008, 01:50 PM
Astronauts Check Shuttle for Damage

2008-03-12 08:21:18
By LIZ AUSTIN PETERSON Associated Press Writer

HOUSTON (AP) — The seven-man crew of the shuttle Endeavour maneuvered toward the international space station early Wednesday, with the astronauts spending their first full day in orbit carefully examining the ship for any launch damage.

Endeavour was set to dock with the station late Wednesday to deliver a giant robot and the first piece of a new Japanese lab.

As the shuttle closed in on the orbiting outpost, the crew used a 100-foot laser-tipped boom to inspect its wings and nose for any sign of launch damage. The inspection has been standard procedure ever since the 2003 Columbia disaster, in which seven astronauts died.

Flight director Mike Moses said a quick look at the images the astronauts beamed down to Earth revealed no signs of trouble, but engineers will spend Wednesday poring over the data.

Cameras captured a possible strike to Endeavour's nose 10 seconds after liftoff, but Moses said he wasn't worried because the ship wasn't traveling fast enough at that time to sustain serious damage.

He said it was too early to tell whether the material came off the ship and whether or not it actually struck the shuttle. Engineers will analyze video captured during launch to try to answer those questions.

Additionally, a significant piece of foam or other debris came off Endeavour's tank just over a minute into the flight. It appeared to miss the right wing.

http://charter.net/news/news_reader.php?storyid=14469813&feedid=248

Pale Rider
03-12-2008, 01:52 PM
Why do they keep flying this thing if pieces of stuff fall of it every time, that could possibly mean another one could burn up on reentry?

I don't get it.... :dunno:

hjmick
03-12-2008, 02:05 PM
Because, sadly, it's all we have at this time. A craft built around what is almost forty year old technology (the first shuttle rolled out in 1976), comprised of more that 200,000 moving parts, all assembled by the lowest bidder. Gives you a warm fuzzy feeling, doesn't it?

Hopefully the Orion will turn out to be a better system.

Pale Rider
03-12-2008, 05:07 PM
Because, sadly, it's all we have at this time. A craft built around what is almost forty year old technology (the first shuttle rolled out in 1976), comprised of more that 200,000 moving parts, all assembled by the lowest bidder. Gives you a warm fuzzy feeling, doesn't it?

Hopefully the Orion will turn out to be a better system.

Well the Orion is pretty much a one shot deal for new lunar exploration, and on to Mars. It's not a reusable shuttle craft like the shuttle. We do need something new though. I can just see another reentry disaster.

hjmick
03-12-2008, 05:11 PM
Well the Orion is pretty much a one shot deal for new lunar exploration, and on to Mars. It's not a reusable shuttle craft like the shuttle. We do need something new though. I can just see another reentry disaster.

I agree, something new is needed and past due. Something reliable and reusable would be nice. The shuttle program was a great idea, unfortunately is was almost obsolete by the time it's intended use was realized. Hell, it's computers were obsolete.

Pale Rider
03-12-2008, 07:46 PM
I agree, something new is needed and past due. Something reliable and reusable would be nice. The shuttle program was a great idea, unfortunately is was almost obsolete by the time it's intended use was realized. Hell, it's computers were obsolete.

I actually saw the one explode. I was in Tampa stationed at MacDill AFB. I was getting ready to go to work when the launch took place. I walked outside with a sandwich in one hand and a glass of milk in the other and watched as the shuttle came into view. I called to my friend who was there to look just about the time it exploded. At first he didn't even believe that was the shuttle. He thought is was kids across town shooting off fire works. I said no, something bad has happened, and sure enough it started coming over the same station that I'd been listening to the count down on, "major malfunction." Yeah... no shit... then one burns up on reentry, and now shit keeps falling off the ones they keep launching... I'll tell ya... they couldn't pay me enough to ride one of those death traps up into space. The people that do, including the women, have to have brass balls.

Holy hell yes, they need something new.