PDA

View Full Version : Iraqi surplus, U.S. deficit

Microcosmos
03-12-2008, 11:18 PM
Iraq oil revenue soars, creating huge surplus
But U.S. still investing billions in rebuilding, facing squeeze at home

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23578542/

Isn't now a good time for the Iraqis to start paying for their own rebuilding?

theHawk
03-12-2008, 11:43 PM
Must be nice to not have to pay for entitlements and other liberal policies.

Hobbit
03-13-2008, 11:20 AM
It might help to get back the $180 BILLION spent on farm subsidies, which don't help anybody poor and instead raise food prices.

Or the $56 billion spent on our abysmal government schools. Now, what good has that money done?

What about the $202 billion black hole of Medicaid, the $386 billion of Medicare, or the $608 billion for Social Security?

That's a good $1.4 trillion that could be applied to our massive national debt, the interest on which costs us $261 billion.

If I made $1 million every minute, tax free, it would take me 2.7 years to accumulate that much money. It's about double total military/national security discretionary spending in a year. Such a waste. The interest on that debt is $40.6 million per hour and in about 2040, it will overtake all federal revenues.

Edit: The total budget for the War on Terror for 2008 is $145 billion. By eliminating these black holes of entitlement, we could buy all of our troops heavily armored battle frames with ultra death rays and guns that shoot spiders...poisonous spiders trained to bite only terrorists.

manu1959
03-13-2008, 11:49 AM
Iraq oil revenue soars, creating huge surplus
But U.S. still investing billions in rebuilding, facing squeeze at home

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23578542/

Isn't now a good time for the Iraqis to start paying for their own rebuilding?

what?! .... i thought we went there to rip off all their oli and money ......

Sitarro
03-13-2008, 11:53 AM
guns that shoot spiders...poisonous spiders trained to bite only terrorists.

They've got those? Cool.:laugh2:

diuretic
03-13-2008, 01:55 PM
what?! .... i thought we went there to rip off all their oli and money ......

No silly, it was for the oil companies and associated interests, not for the US as a political entity. Do you think the two oilmen in the White House are acting in your nation's interests? :laugh2: