PDA

View Full Version : Study Finds 1 in 4 US Teens Has a STD

actsnoblemartin
03-13-2008, 05:47 PM
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=88140117&ft=1&f=1001

http://www.cfoc.org/411AboutSex/STDsandteens/

Pale Rider
03-13-2008, 06:14 PM
I heard this the other day.... it's almost hard to believe.

LiberalNation
03-13-2008, 06:17 PM
That's pretty bad but not hard to believe. Lots of slutty people in highschool, male and female. Must of the STDs are treatable tho.

JohnDoe
03-13-2008, 07:51 PM
Wow! Very hard to believe! 25%!!! 1 in 4 sexually active!!! is the rate that high for sexually active adults for std's? I have been out of "the adult dating game" for nearing a couple of decades now.... :eek: so I am clueless on this stuff, but damn 25% sure seems high for either group!

I guess our teaching kids ''safe sex'', how and when to use a condom etc in high school ain't really working is it?

jd

LiberalNation
03-13-2008, 07:58 PM
We don't teach that round here, it's abstinence. Course you'd be hard pressed to find anyone in the entire school that is. Cept me but that's cuz lack of options and oppurtunity in this lil hick town.

JohnDoe
03-14-2008, 12:28 PM
We don't teach that round here, it's abstinence. Course you'd be hard pressed to find anyone in the entire school that is. Cept me but that's cuz lack of options and oppurtunity in this lil hick town.
If I may ask, where do you live LN? What State?

Hagbard Celine
03-14-2008, 12:53 PM
This is ridiculous. Think about the implications if one if four teen girls had an STD. It would be a health crisis nightmare that would grip the country. This study is crap.
I think this only applies to dem ghetto rats.

Trigg
03-14-2008, 12:58 PM
Disease rates were significantly higher among black girls — nearly half had at least one STD, versus 20 percent among both whites and Mexican-Americans.

Seems there is a considerable difference between the races, but I still find it hard to believe. The numbers seem high.

CockySOB
03-14-2008, 01:08 PM
My guess is that the numbers reported are actually lower than the reality. As LN pointed out, many STDs are treatable, which I propose has encouraged some of the surveyed to deny they ever had an STD (hence making the numbers higher than reported).

Personally, I think the problem stems from the hedonism glorified by popular culture. As long as successive generations are exposed to increasing encouragement towards excess, the percentages will continue to increase.

LiberalNation
03-14-2008, 02:21 PM
If I may ask, where do you live LN? What State?

Hicktown Kentucky.

Pale Rider
03-14-2008, 02:55 PM
This is a prime example of the direction this country, the world for that matter, is going. Take God out of schools, take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance, take God out of Christmas, just take God out of everything and what happens? Morals quickly head for the toilet like they are now. Little teenies out there fucking each others brains out and God be damned if they give a rats ass. They want to fuck, they're going to fuck, and nobody is going to tell them it's wrong. Just top that off with a whole new generation of diseased teenie boppers, what a deal.

DragonStryk72
03-14-2008, 03:21 PM
This is a prime example of the direction this country, the world for that matter, is going. Take God out of schools, take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance, take God out of Christmas, just take God out of everything and what happens? Morals quickly head for the toilet like they are now. Little teenies out there fucking each others brains out and God be damned if they give a rats ass. They want to fuck, they're going to fuck, and nobody is going to tell them it's wrong. Just top that off with a whole new generation of diseased teenie boppers, what a deal.

I think it has more to do with the absence of real parenting these days. Parents in this time are far too dependent on the government to teach morals to the children, and, in depending on the school, fail in their responsibilities as parents to teach their children these important lessons.

Pale Rider
03-14-2008, 05:22 PM
I think it has more to do with the absence of real parenting these days. Parents in this time are far too dependent on the government to teach morals to the children, and, in depending on the school, fail in their responsibilities as parents to teach their children these important lessons.

I'd say you're probably right about that too. Put the two together you've got a real mess.

JohnDoe
03-14-2008, 05:42 PM

But Dragon,

do you really think that these parents sit there and discuss with eachother that they are not going to teach their kids right from wrong and morals and make a conscious decision to make the government responsible for teaching their kids right from wrong and morals???

How do you envision this coming about?

jd

LiberalNation
03-14-2008, 06:17 PM
Most teens aren't screwing younger, the acceptable age for screwing and marrying is older then it once was.............

DragonStryk72
03-14-2008, 09:57 PM
But Dragon,

do you really think that these parents sit there and discuss with eachother that they are not going to teach their kids right from wrong and morals and make a conscious decision to make the government responsible for teaching their kids right from wrong and morals???

How do you envision this coming about?

jd

Your car ever break down, or have you ever lost power for a few days? Once, when I had just moved down to Virginia after helping my dad renovate his condo up in Jersey City, and I had the experience of staying in a house with no AC (I got a deal to live there rent-free if I helped out with getting the place ready for tenants).

Now, This was in July, and a heat wave hit Virginia, with temps in the 104 range with solid humidity. At first, I was sweating out every ounce of fluid in my body, but as several days passed, the temp stayed in the same range, but I noticed it less. I could not, before then, have imagined living somewhere without AC, having been so used to it, that I took it for granted, but when faced with no possibility of AC, I simply adapted.

It is the same with reliable parenting. If the schools would stop teaching morality, and trying to parent our children for us, then the parents would necessarily adapt to the new situation. On a subconscious level, we are aware of the fact that our schools will "teach" our students how to behave, and thus do not fret as much over the necessity to teach such lessons ourselves. I assure you, apart from the worst parents (who should not have children anyhow), almost any will do better at instilling values in their child than the school system will do.

JohnDoe
03-14-2008, 10:29 PM
Your car ever break down, or have you ever lost power for a few days? Once, when I had just moved down to Virginia after helping my dad renovate his condo up in Jersey City, and I had the experience of staying in a house with no AC (I got a deal to live there rent-free if I helped out with getting the place ready for tenants).

Now, This was in July, and a heat wave hit Virginia, with temps in the 104 range with solid humidity. At first, I was sweating out every ounce of fluid in my body, but as several days passed, the temp stayed in the same range, but I noticed it less. I could not, before then, have imagined living somewhere without AC, having been so used to it, that I took it for granted, but when faced with no possibility of AC, I simply adapted.

It is the same with reliable parenting. If the schools would stop teaching morality, and trying to parent our children for us, then the parents would necessarily adapt to the new situation. On a subconscious level, we are aware of the fact that our schools will "teach" our students how to behave, and thus do not fret as much over the necessity to teach such lessons ourselves. I assure you, apart from the worst parents (who should not have children anyhow), almost any will do better at instilling values in their child than the school system will do.

I just find that so hard to believe Dragon. Not that I am disagreeing with you that parents.... need to PARENT for goodness sakes!

But I just can't imagine that Parents, even subconsciously, would not teach their children something just because they thought somewhere in their head, that the government will do that for them in the school. I can't accept that simple excuse....

Now Granted, my husband and i have not been able to have children but i feel like I know what it would be like to have raised them...at least in my heart and mind i would have known...

And I just can not see how any parent would let this be the reason for not passing on some morals and ethics and right from wrong to their kids one on one, if not thru osmosis of their kids just soaking them in from being around their parents???

I believe, if you really think about it....the noticable change in our children today probably came when it became mandatory for women to work full time in order to pay the bills, the necessary 2 income family.... not having the time to spend the necessary time needed to parent well and be a fulltime worker, and full time wife has not only made it much more difficult on the Mom but on the Dad too.

Don't get me wrong, there are many 2 income working parent families that can manage to parent well and work...and incomes with money can put their kids in private programs or have nannies....and their are struggling single moms, some succeed very well though thru many struggles, and others aren't capable at all of working and rearing at the same time.

But many are struggling with the juggling of both.

This also makes it harder on the kids of today to learn through osmosis, thru just being around the good parents, when the parents are not there, unlike in my day and age....my mom never worked, except the year my dad was in Viet Nam and we lived with my grandparents waiting for him, did she leave my sister and I and only for part time.... but outside of that, she was the backbone of the family I grew up in.... Dad was the bread winner :) The King of the Castle so to say.... But MOM was the queen of the hill, she ruled the household and us kids!

I just do not think that the parents have made any kind of decision to let the gvt teach their kids... i just think that this is what has ended up happening, because of the 2 parents working full time and not having the necessary time that they may need to parent well.

jd

DragonStryk72
03-15-2008, 01:39 AM
I just find that so hard to believe Dragon. Not that I am disagreeing with you that parents.... need to PARENT for goodness sakes!

But I just can't imagine that Parents, even subconsciously, would not teach their children something just because they thought somewhere in their head, that the government will do that for them in the school. I can't accept that simple excuse....

Now Granted, my husband and i have not been able to have children but i feel like I know what it would be like to have raised them...at least in my heart and mind i would have known...

And I just can not see how any parent would let this be the reason for not passing on some morals and ethics and right from wrong to their kids one on one, if not thru osmosis of their kids just soaking them in from being around their parents???

I believe, if you really think about it....the noticable change in our children today probably came when it became mandatory for women to work full time in order to pay the bills, the necessary 2 income family.... not having the time to spend the necessary time needed to parent well and be a fulltime worker, and full time wife has not only made it much more difficult on the Mom but on the Dad too.

Don't get me wrong, there are many 2 income working parent families that can manage to parent well and work...and incomes with money can put their kids in private programs or have nannies....and their are struggling single moms, some succeed very well though thru many struggles, and others aren't capable at all of working and rearing at the same time.

But many are struggling with the juggling of both.

This also makes it harder on the kids of today to learn through osmosis, thru just being around the good parents, when the parents are not there, unlike in my day and age....my mom never worked, except the year my dad was in Viet Nam and we lived with my grandparents waiting for him, did she leave my sister and I and only for part time.... but outside of that, she was the backbone of the family I grew up in.... Dad was the bread winner :) The King of the Castle so to say.... But MOM was the queen of the hill, she ruled the household and us kids!

I just do not think that the parents have made any kind of decision to let the gvt teach their kids... i just think that this is what has ended up happening, because of the 2 parents working full time and not having the necessary time that they may need to parent well.

jd

True, that is probably also a large part of it, and of course the current state of affairs in our economy, which determines our cost of living, is also on the shoulders of our overextended governments. the thing is though, that most parents these days don't even realize there kids aren't being taught these morals at school.

All of it ties into together to form the current lack of ability for people to see the true priorities, and unfortunately, it does not seem like that is getting ready to change in the immediate future.

Dilloduck
03-15-2008, 07:27 AM
I
i just think that this is what has ended up happening, because of the 2 parents working full time and not having the necessary time that they may need to parent well.

jd

Many parents don't have the time to teach their children anything because they are greedy. They have sacrificed their children for life styles that many would consider to be extravagant. Our economy loves having both parents working and spending money and could care less if it is schools that teach them about sex.

Pale Rider
03-15-2008, 12:26 PM
Many parents don't have the time to teach their children anything because they are greedy. They have sacrificed their children for life styles that many would consider to be extravagant. Our economy loves having both parents working and spending money and could care less if it is schools that teach them about sex.

Which always leaves me pondering the question, why then do these people have kids?

DragonStryk72
03-15-2008, 08:48 PM
Which always leaves me pondering the question, why then do these people have kids?

While I don't think that many parents are necessarily greedy, in so much as being talked into "needing" idiotic gadgets (cell phones for everyone in the family about every 2 years, 3 or 4 TVs, that sort of nonsense), he ones that are sacrificing their children likely have rationalizations for their behavior, "I need to be happy for them to be happy", that sort of thing.

there are a fair number of people in this country who would do well to drop all these extras, to see what it is that they really need, likely for the first time.