PDA

View Full Version : Unwelcome

MtnBiker
03-13-2008, 11:10 PM
So I and some other people went to a "fun center" a place that had laser tag, video arcade, miniture golf and restaurant. Upon enter the establishment the first impression we were met with was the bold wording on the glass entrance doors.

No Outside Food or Drinks

No Checks

No Abusive language

Now I can fully understand the reason behind all of the rules of the house but before we even entered the establishment they were saying NO, NO, NO. I found it rather unwelcoming. There are much better ways of protecting your business and promoting a clean and friendly astomosphere.

Mr. P
03-13-2008, 11:24 PM
When I see No so many times like that..NO WAY pops into my mind and I never even step past the doorway.

MtnBiker
03-13-2008, 11:28 PM
When I see No so many times like that..NO WAY pops into my mind and I never even step past the doorway.

Quite true, do you suppose that the establishment even realizes their error or perhaps do not care?

Mr. P
03-13-2008, 11:36 PM
Quite true, do you suppose that the establishment even realizes their error or perhaps do not care?

Depends on who they target as customers I guess.

Teens/young adults maybe? They pay no attention to NO anyway. :laugh2:

manu1959
03-13-2008, 11:38 PM
maybe they are targeting people from New Orleans.....

MtnBiker
03-13-2008, 11:42 PM
Well that is a valid point, if the operator wishes to limit their prospecitve patrons to those that either do not pay attention or who are conditioned to alot of No's than that would make sense. However a reasonable conclusion would be, barring an abosolutely wonderful and unique experience, the establishment would never realize it's maximum potential.

MtnBiker
03-13-2008, 11:47 PM
maybe they are targeting people from New Orleans.....

Ah ha, I had not thought of that, could be.

No do not use those busses.

No do not rely on yourself.

That might work.

manu1959
03-13-2008, 11:49 PM
Ah ha, I had not thought of that, could be.

No do not use those busses.

No do not rely on yourself.

That might work.

no chocolate city.....:laugh2:

MtnBiker
03-13-2008, 11:56 PM
I believe that fun center had chocolate, but I doubt I will be back.

There are other places with similar unwelcoming no's, to bad.

manu1959
03-13-2008, 11:58 PM
I believe that fun center had chocolate, but I doubt I will be back.

There are other places with similar unwelcoming no's, to bad.

i have been to quite a few fun centers.....i prefer this one.....

Yurt
03-14-2008, 12:05 AM
So I and some other people went to a "fun center" a place that had laser tag, video arcade, miniture golf and restaurant. Upon enter the establishment the first impression we were met with was the bold wording on the glass entrance doors.

No Outside Food or Drinks

No Checks

No Abusive language

Now I can fully understand the reason behind all of the rules of the house but before we even entered the establishment they were saying NO, NO, NO. I found it rather unwelcoming. There are much better ways of protecting your business and promoting a clean and friendly astomosphere.

i've seen those at mini golf places, i think the signs are mostly for teenagers and if they used "please" they teens would ignore the sign. trying to be authorative is my guess. probably not the best, but probably also works where needed.

MtnBiker
03-14-2008, 12:12 AM
i've seen those at mini golf places, i think the signs are mostly for teenagers and if they used "please" they teens would ignore the sign. trying to be authorative is my guess. probably not the best, but probably also works where needed.

Yeah, perhaps. A well trained staff and an properly run facility that encourages the full use of the services and products available in the establishment is likely to yield better results. There will always be those to break rules, but for the most part people understand that certian conduct is expected when entering an establishment.

I might add, that this particular place did have kids(of course) however the majority of patrons where families, so there was alot of adult supervision beyond just the staff.

Yurt
03-14-2008, 12:25 AM
Yeah, perhaps. A well trained staff and an properly run facility that encourages the full use of the services and products available in the establishment is likely to yield better results. There will always be those to break rules, but for the most part people understand that certian conduct is expected when entering an establishment.

I might add, that this particular place did have kids(of course) however the majority of patrons where families, so there was alot of adult supervision beyond just the staff.

true, the wording could be more encouraging than discouraging, but the place i was referring to is in santa maria (das hood amigo) :laugh2: i think its in spanish too, though it says por favor....j/k

i think they should have specially trained employees with sniper bb guns and everytime some punk kid curses or breaks the rules, THWAP....

MtnBiker
03-14-2008, 12:29 AM
i think they should have specially trained employees with sniper bb guns and everytime some punk kid curses or breaks the rules, THWAP....

Whoa, that could be fun. :laugh2:

diuretic
03-14-2008, 02:24 AM
They missed a no.....NO BUSINESS :laugh2:

MtnBiker
03-17-2008, 11:51 AM

Quite right, well said.

Abbey Marie
03-17-2008, 12:54 PM
All these posted rules would make me think they have a pretty skanky regular clientele. Good choice to leave!

Classact
03-17-2008, 01:05 PM
When I was stationed in Germany there was one disco (they were very popular at the time) that had a brass plate over the entrance "American soldiers not welcome here". The notice didn't work and I'm not sure why... it was either that the GI's decided to push the issue or the fact that the girls going there had a reputation of giving head in the parking lot...

MtnBiker
03-17-2008, 01:50 PM
All these posted rules would make me think they have a pretty skanky regular clientele. Good choice to leave!

Oh good point, even after reading them carefully. ;)

MtnBiker
05-15-2008, 10:56 PM
Well, still have not gone back. However I'll be damned, sometimes I see the proprietor do a drive by.

PostmodernProphet
05-16-2008, 05:12 AM
when I was young it was common to see...

No shirt
No shoes
No service

at the time I wondered why they wanted to advertise they had no service.....

diuretic
05-16-2008, 06:29 AM
when I was young it was common to see...

No shirt
No shoes
No service

at the time I wondered why they wanted to advertise they had no service.....

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

glockmail
05-16-2008, 07:47 AM
When I was stationed in Germany there was one disco (they were very popular at the time) that had a brass plate over the entrance "American soldiers not welcome here". The notice didn't work and I'm not sure why... it was either that the GI's decided to push the issue or the fact that the girls going there had a reputation of giving head in the parking lot...
Probably both. :laugh2:

gabosaurus
05-16-2008, 10:13 AM
It pretty much depends on where you live. Sometimes, the signs are necessary to weed out the "undesirable characters" that would make business difficult for the owners.
That is (or was) the case for a "fun center" that was located near the high school that my husband attended. It's no longer open, though I am not sure why.
Since the place was frequented by kids of various ages, I am sure the rules were appreciated by the parents of younger patrons.
Here are some of the rules that were very plainly stated, in several locations.

No food or drinks

No alcohol or tobacco products

No abusive or objectionable language

No gang colors or associated clothing

No weapons of any kind

All arguments or disputes must be taken outside

The place employed off duty police officers as security. It was usually extremely busy.

MtnBiker
03-02-2011, 04:11 PM

Well said, in fact it appears as if no one has patronized the place in over a month.

A lot of "do nots" before you even enter.

thread (http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?30866-Free-speech-now-restricted-to-approved-threads)

Psychoblues
03-02-2011, 11:52 PM
Well said, in fact it appears as if no one has patronized the place in over a month.

A lot of "do nots" before you even enter.

thread (http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?30866-Free-speech-now-restricted-to-approved-threads)

Your last post in this thread was a couple years ago. It may be the business is closed or closing. Business in the undesirables is hit awfully hard in this rich get richer and poor get poorer economic environment.

I owned a music/guitar store. My business was also in a not so exclusive part of town and just where I wanted it to be. I tend to identify better with the underclassed and oft abused citizenry. I, too, had to put up No and Don't signs that I just hated. They didn't seem to effect my otherwise good and reasonable customers and normally all I had to do in the case of an offender was point to the sign and the behavior stopped quickly. But, I always did hate those damned signs.

Psychoblues

Mr. P
03-03-2011, 12:15 AM
Your last post in this thread was a couple years ago. It may be the business is closed or closing. Business in the undesirables is hit awfully hard in this rich get richer and poor get poorer economic environment.

I owned a music/guitar store. My business was also in a not so exclusive part of town and just where I wanted it to be. I tend to identify better with the underclassed and oft abused citizenry. I, too, had to put up No and Don't signs that I just hated. They didn't seem to effect my otherwise good and reasonable customers and normally all I had to do in the case of an offender was point to the sign and the behavior stopped quickly. But, I always did hate those damned signs.

Psychoblues
You mean the underclassed and oft abused citizenry can read? Damn! Ya couldn't prove it by the graduation rate.

MtnBiker
03-03-2011, 09:46 AM
Your last post in this thread was a couple years ago.

True, however things are not always so straight forward. Sometimes you need to read between the lines, take a metaphorical perspective.

Psychoblues
03-03-2011, 10:43 AM
You mean the underclassed and oft abused citizenry can read? Damn! Ya couldn't prove it by the graduation rate.

Have you ever heard of "public education", P? It works fairly well in poor neighborhoods even though you are correct, many of the kids don't graduate. Many do, however, get their GED's and are now serving their country in Iraq, Afghanistan or in some graveyard. Have you been around a military installation in the last 40 or so years?

Psychoblues

Psychoblues
03-03-2011, 10:46 AM
True, however things are not always so straight forward. Sometimes you need to read between the lines, take a metaphorically perspective.

Yes, and sometimes you do need to take a straight forward approach like a bump on the nose or a little hair off the chinny chin chin. But that doesn't solve much either. Catch 22.

Psychoblues

MtnBiker
03-03-2011, 12:36 PM
It seems that subtlety is missed by some.

Psychoblues
03-03-2011, 01:31 PM
It seems that subtlety is missed by some.

I believe you are aiming that at me, MB. If subtlety is your intent I can take anything you throw out there. On the other hand, that really is a 2-way street. We all fail to recognise good subtleties, nuances, satires and parodies and especially ironies, especially ironies and hypocrisies!!!!!!! It's a wonderful life!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues