PDA

View Full Version : Are There Any Black Powder Shooters Here?

Pale Rider
03-14-2008, 03:14 PM
I've been eyeing up an 1858 .44 caliber black powder pistol like this one... http://tinyurl.com/2sabgc

I've been reading comments about black powder shooting, and it appears most all who get into it think it's a lot of fun. And I know that in some states there's even black powder hunting seasons. I could get into that.

5stringJeff
03-14-2008, 03:23 PM
I've only shot black powder once. It took me about 2 minutes to load a round, after I had done it once and had the whole process explained to me. It was the most fun I ever had shooting, except maybe when I got to fire a Mk19 grenade launcher.

Mr. P
03-14-2008, 03:57 PM
I have a .45 cal Kentucky rifle. Black power shooting is fun!
I started with it many years ago (38 maybe?). A great deal of the fun was making your own ammo. and all the accessories etc. all I ever bought was powder and caps. Things have changed a great deal now, you can easily buy all that stuff.

Gunny
03-15-2008, 10:30 AM
I've been eyeing up an 1858 .44 caliber black powder pistol like this one... http://tinyurl.com/2sabgc

I've been reading comments about black powder shooting, and it appears most all who get into it think it's a lot of fun. And I know that in some states there's even black powder hunting seasons. I could get into that.

I've got an 1861 Colt Army and an 1861 Colt Navy ... both in .44. I bought both as kits back in the early 80's and finished them myself.

My suggestion would be to go that route before dropping the price of a brand name, high-dollar handgun. The kits go for less than $100. last time i looked and they are fully functional. If you find you enjoy it, THEN you might want to go for the high-quality, brand name firearm.

I would also imagine if you check out your local gun store or range, there are plenty of black powder shooters who would be more than willing to let you shoot with them. I think it's a hoot, but it isn't for everyone. Definitely at the hobby end of firearms.

Pale Rider
03-17-2008, 12:56 PM
I've only shot black powder once. It took me about 2 minutes to load a round, after I had done it once and had the whole process explained to me. It was the most fun I ever had shooting, except maybe when I got to fire a Mk19 grenade launcher.
I'm thinking it's got to be a lot of fun too. I like to shoot, but just popping in bullets in a revolver or jamming them in a clip is too easy. I think if there was more of a process to loading up a firearm, it would just be more about shooting to enjoy.

I have a .45 cal Kentucky rifle. Black power shooting is fun!
I started with it many years ago (38 maybe?). A great deal of the fun was making your own ammo. and all the accessories etc. all I ever bought was powder and caps. Things have changed a great deal now, you can easily buy all that stuff.
A rifle... yeah. That sounds like fun too! Maybe the pistol, then the rifle. Because I did check, and Wisconsin has a black powder hunting season for deer. I'll bet there's a lot less people in the woods for that, and you're chances of harvesting a deer would be better.

I've got an 1861 Colt Army and an 1861 Colt Navy ... both in .44. I bought both as kits back in the early 80's and finished them myself.

My suggestion would be to go that route before dropping the price of a brand name, high-dollar handgun. The kits go for less than $100. last time i looked and they are fully functional. If you find you enjoy it, THEN you might want to go for the high-quality, brand name firearm.

I would also imagine if you check out your local gun store or range, there are plenty of black powder shooters who would be more than willing to let you shoot with them. I think it's a hoot, but it isn't for everyone. Definitely at the hobby end of firearms.
Wow, now Gunny's got the goods... :D I didn't see any kits at Cabela's that day, just finished pistols. The prices aren't that bad. The kits they had were the pistol, powder horn, caps, cleaning kit, slugs, etc.. I think I'm going to pick one up. I like the 1858 Army because it has the rib over the cylinder. They say that's a stronger pistol, and, you can even buy a conversion cylinder for it and shoot regular center fire ammo through it.

Monkeybone
03-17-2008, 12:58 PM
i use black powder in my muzzle-loader for hunting. nice thing also is that i can use it in shotgun season (atleast in Indiana).

Pale Rider
03-17-2008, 02:46 PM
i use black powder in my muzzle-loader for hunting. nice thing also is that i can use it in shotgun season (atleast in Indiana).

You ever kill anything with it? Deer maybe, turkey?

Monkeybone
03-17-2008, 02:50 PM
i've killed deer with it, and it thumps them pretty good. the one that i have is a .50, but i use a sabot'd .45 copper jacket. works very nice.

never turkey hunted. .

Pale Rider
03-29-2008, 04:34 PM
i've killed deer with it, and it thumps them pretty good. the one that i have is a .50, but i use a sabot'd .45 copper jacket. works very nice.

never turkey hunted. .

I think I'll wait until I get back to Wisconsin and pick up a pistol, then maybe a rifle, long rifle that is. No where to shot the damn things around here anyway.