PDA

View Full Version : Si, hablo ingles

Yurt
03-14-2008, 05:27 PM
So the office let us go a wee early today. i head to baja fresh to grab dinner for my fiesta, and i'm ordering my meal, face to face.

whats in the cabo burrito

oh, we have cabo, spicy and chicken burrito (not that clear, had to have her repeat it, and everything else)

no, what is (slowly) inside the burrito

oh, on the side, you want something on the side

nevermind, give me two tacos, one fish, one shrimp, add cheese to the shrimp taco......

....stares at cash register.....presses buttons.... ok, you want shrimp burrito, with two tacos on side

....counts to 10, five times, no......manager comes over...

...oh, ok, what is it you want.....

i told her, she understood, but when she repeated it back to me, i could barely understand her with the major accent, so i said...... what, no i said this....she got all pissed off at me and said......yeah, yes, i know, just checking.....

would love to tell you i walked out, but its a small town and too many people i know eat there....

what is it with this hiring of people who can't speak english. i know its "mexican" food, not really, there is nothing traditionally mexican about it, it might as well be american fast food wrap in a flour roll. i mean, the lady's job was to be able to communicate orders.....

MtnBiker
03-14-2008, 05:30 PM
I still want to know what is in the Cabo Burrito.

Pale Rider
03-14-2008, 06:01 PM
Had the same problem here in Reno until about six months back. They ran a sting through all the mcdonalds and busted about sixty illegal aliens. Seems other fast food places got scared and cleaned out the illegals they had working for them. Now you can go in a fast food joint and there's actually someone there that speaks English.

actsnoblemartin
03-14-2008, 06:03 PM
whats the name, location, and number of the adress.

i dont eat there, so ill give them a piece of my mind

So the office let us go a wee early today. i head to baja fresh to grab dinner for my fiesta, and i'm ordering my meal, face to face.

oh, we have cabo, spicy and chicken burrito (not that clear, had to have her repeat it, and everything else)

nevermind, give me two tacos, one fish, one shrimp, add cheese to the shrimp taco......

....stares at cash register.....presses buttons.... ok, you want shrimp burrito, with two tacos on side

i told her, she understood, but when she repeated it back to me, i could barely understand her with the major accent, so i said...... what, no i said this....she got all pissed off at me and said......yeah, yes, i know, just checking.....

would love to tell you i walked out, but its a small town and too many people i know eat there....

what is it with this hiring of people who can't speak english. i know its "mexican" food, not really, there is nothing traditionally mexican about it, it might as well be american fast food wrap in a flour roll. i mean, the lady's job was to be able to communicate orders.....

82Marine89
03-14-2008, 06:05 PM
It sucks having to be bi-lingual, but my ability to speak Spanish with the same slang they use gets me better service and larger meals.

Kathianne
03-14-2008, 06:09 PM
It sucks having to be bi-lingual, but my ability to speak Spanish with the same slang they use gets me better service and larger meals.

That would be fine, in Mexico or any Spanish speaking country. While there isn't an 'official language':

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/us.html#People

Languages:
Definition Field Listing
English 82.1%, Spanish 10.7%, other Indo-European 3.8%, Asian and Pacific island 2.7%, other 0.7% (2000 census)
note: Hawaiian is an official language in the state of Hawaii

actsnoblemartin
03-14-2008, 06:09 PM
bi-lingual = discriminatory and anti american

were not northern mexico, were north america

82Marine89
03-14-2008, 06:12 PM
That would be fine, in Mexico or any Spanish speaking country. While there isn't an 'official language':

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/us.html#People

Living in San Diego sometimes seems like northern Mexico. Like I said, it sucks having to be bi-lingual.

Kathianne
03-14-2008, 06:14 PM
Living in San Diego sometimes seems like northern Mexico. Like I said, it sucks having to be bi-lingual.

I hear you, but it's NOT right.

actsnoblemartin
03-14-2008, 06:16 PM
me and you, and all san diegans should stand up to that discrimination

Yurt
03-14-2008, 06:18 PM
I still want to know what is in the Cabo Burrito.

:lol:

you loco essay

Yurt
03-14-2008, 06:27 PM

now that is the effing troof right there. used to take a buddy that could speak like that with us everytime we went to tj. course we stopped going after by best bud brother died in mexico, it was down south, at a resort.

was freaky was hell, i was 18, and him and i met these hot chicks on the beach (blacks-- no, we were all not nude, but i was wishin....and sadly no that never came true, but did see boobies) and we wanted to go down to tj because we could drink, he wouldn't come, said he felt tired or something, so i took both chicks, with my brother, he's handicap, but the model loved him and so did my brother. my friends "girl" was the model, yes, absolutely hot, mine was the cutie, and boy did we ever have a good time. the model, wow, got cheap drinks everywhere.

got home, a sunday, his brother passed over the weekend in mexico from drinking water. never been back. nor will i.

actsnoblemartin
03-14-2008, 06:28 PM
my condolences to you brother yurt :salute:

now that is the effing troof right there. used to take a buddy that could speak like that with us everytime we went to tj. course we stopped going after by best bud brother died in mexico, it was down south, at a resort.

was freaky was hell, i was 18, and him and i met these hot chicks on the beach (blacks-- no, we were all not nude, but i was wishin....and sadly no that never came true, but did see boobies) and we wanted to go down to tj because we could drink, he wouldn't come, said he felt tired or something, so i took both chicks, with my brother, he's handicap, but the model loved him and so did my brother. my friends "girl" was the model, yes, absolutely hot, mine was the cutie, and boy did we ever have a good time. the model, wow, got cheap drinks everywhere.

got home, a sunday, his brother passed over the weekend in mexico from drinking water. never been back. nor will i.

OCA
03-14-2008, 06:52 PM
In Astoria, Queens the first language spoken by most is Greek. Try going into a restaurant there and ordering in English, they will understand but you might get the shaft when it comes to your food. Hell the ATM machines there are in Greek. My point is if you go into an ethnic joint you should expect that the problem Yurt had might come up. Don't like it? Go to McDonalds.

I think its beautiful.

We are a country of mutts, everyone is from some other place. some of us speak English as a first language some of us other stuff, it don't really matter.

And yes I agree that official documents and such should be in English and EVERYONE should know some English but this English as an official language is a joke, there are only about a million other things much more important

manu1959
03-14-2008, 09:24 PM
it s like that at 360 burrito in my home town........when they start in in a heavy sapnis accent i start in in german

Said1
03-14-2008, 09:58 PM

This happened to me at Harvey's, only it was a Somalian (or something). THis guy just pointed at stuff until I nodded. It took me awhile to catch on, but once I did, he put my burger together in no time. :laugh2:

Yurt
03-14-2008, 10:33 PM
In Astoria, Queens the first language spoken by most is Greek. Try going into a restaurant there and ordering in English, they will understand but you might get the shaft when it comes to your food. Hell the ATM machines there are in Greek. My point is if you go into an ethnic joint you should expect that the problem Yurt had might come up. Don't like it? Go to McDonalds.

I think its beautiful.

We are a country of mutts, everyone is from some other place. some of us speak English as a first language some of us other stuff, it don't really matter.

And yes I agree that official documents and such should be in English and EVERYONE should know some English but this English as an official language is a joke, there are only about a million other things much more important

no problem at an "official" restaurant. baja fresh..... i'm not talking pedros muchos burritos....

82Marine89
03-15-2008, 09:51 AM

They still enter through the back door in those joints? :poke:

OCA
03-15-2008, 09:55 AM
They still enter through the back door in those joints? :poke:

Its just a hole 89!:laugh2:

OCA
03-15-2008, 09:58 AM
no problem at an "official" restaurant. baja fresh..... i'm not talking pedros muchos burritos....

I see where you are coming from but I guess Mexicans when they need work badly go to stuff thats familiar and Baja Fresh has familiar stuff to them. Its the same deal at a chain out here called Chipotles, always nothing but Mexicans working there and usually I can't understand when they say something to me but in the end they get it right and it sure beats the hell out of BK!

82Marine89
03-15-2008, 09:59 AM
Its just a hole 89!:laugh2:

I grew up in Flushing. My friend that soaked the olives in Ouzo grew up in Astoria. Now we both live in San Diego, but he's getting transferred to Boston. I'll miss his parties and his wifes cooking.

82Marine89
03-15-2008, 10:00 AM
I see where you are coming from but I guess Mexicans when they need work badly go to stuff thats familiar and Baja Fresh has familiar stuff to them. Its the same deal at a chain out here called Chipotles, always nothing but Mexicans working there and usually I can't understand when they say something to me but in the end they get it right and it sure beats the hell out of BK!

Order chorizo con juevos. :laugh2:

OCA
03-15-2008, 10:06 AM

Either they are gonna give me some actual chorizo and eggs or chorizo and a set of balls! Think i'll stick with the camarones ala diabla, when I was right out of college, rodeoin and working at the western store we had this real cool Mexican who worked Saturdays there for us by the name of Pablo(yes he was legal lol), one time he took me to this Mexican joint, real authentic, for cerveza, tequila and food, had the camarones ala diabla......the next day I was on fire with thunderbolts coming out if you know what I mean. But damn it was good!:laugh2:

82Marine89
03-15-2008, 10:08 AM
Either they are gonna give me some actual chorizo and eggs or chorizo and a set of balls! Think i'll stick with the camarones ala diabla, when I was right out of college, rodeoin and working at the western store we had this real cool Mexican who worked Saturdays there for us by the name of Pablo(yes he was legal lol), one time he took me to this Mexican joint, real authentic, for cerveza, tequila and food, had the camarones ala diabla......the next day I was on fire with thunderbolts coming out if you know what I mean. But damn it was good!:laugh2:

The human gunnite machine? :laugh2:

OCA
03-15-2008, 10:15 AM
The human gunnite machine? :laugh2:

No, not gunnite, it was regular but the heat factor was multiplied exponentially.:laugh2:

Flushing, eh? So I assume you've been to Astoria time or two, love it there although there is new influx of Indians and Central American there although Ditmars, Broadway and 31st still remain solidly Greek. Go there every chance I get although I haven't been in the past six months though.

Gunny
03-15-2008, 10:34 AM

It ain't happenin', dude. And that would be "Huevos" ...