PDA

View Full Version : Thai food

Abbey Marie
03-15-2008, 11:14 AM
I just wanted to say, IMO, it is the best Asian cuisine, and one of the best in the world. The flavors are generally more subtle and complex than Chinese. I have been enjoying Thai food for a very long time, and never get tired of it. Last night, my husband and I had a date at our fave candlelit Thai restaurant. We had Chicken Massaman Curry, and lemon grass soup with shrimp. Yum!

(As an aside, I doscovered this: The name Massaman is thought to be derived from the word "Musulman", the older form of the word "Muslim").

So, what are your favorite cusines?

Mine would be:
1. Italian
2. Thai
3. Everything else

manu1959
03-15-2008, 12:23 PM
burmese.......italian......german....mexican......

Abbey Marie
03-15-2008, 12:25 PM
burmese.......italian......german....mexican......

Can you describe Burmese cuisine?

Said1
03-15-2008, 01:42 PM
I just wanted to say, IMO, it is the best Asian cuisine, and one of the best in the world. The flavors are generally more subtle and complex than Chinese. I have been enjoying Thai food for a very long time, and never get tired of it. Last night, my husband and I had a date at our fave candlelit Thai restaurant. We had Chicken Massaman Curry, and lemon grass soup with shrimp. Yum!

(As an aside, I doscovered this: The name Massaman is thought to be derived from the word "Musulman", the older form of the word "Muslim").

So, what are your favorite cusines?

Mine would be:
1. Italian
2. Thai
3. Everything else

Thai and Japanese are my favorites. Thai food seems to get that perfect spicy/sweet/sour combo just right. I still haven't found a receipt for Thai tuna salad, although Starbucks makes an excellent Thai tuna wrap (of all places).

I love Lebanese and Indian food almost as much, too.

Said1
03-15-2008, 01:44 PM

It reminds me a lot of Thai food, but there is a hint of curry and coriander in a lot of the recipes. Cross between Thai and Indian, maybe?

manu1959
03-15-2008, 02:01 PM

there is a great little shop in alameda.....

i am sure you know where burma is.....and as a sort of cross roads nation it is a conglomeration of thai...indian...chinese......very good meats.....rices and saldas....lots of cool flavours, spices and textures......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuisine_of_Burma

5stringJeff
03-15-2008, 02:19 PM
1. Italian
2. Mexican
3. Thai
4. Everything else

I agree, Abbey - Thai is the best Asian cuisine.

Abbey Marie
03-15-2008, 07:04 PM
Burmese sounds good. I'll keep an eye out for a place that serves it.

manu1959
03-15-2008, 07:33 PM
Burmese sounds good. I'll keep an eye out for a place that serves it.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=burmese+restaurants

tea leaf salad.......yummy.....

-Cp
03-15-2008, 07:46 PM
In order of fav?

1. Japanese (sushi) <-- I can pound "in-human" amounts of Sushi.. :)
2. USA Food! (Steaks, burgers etc)
3. Thai
4. Italian
5. Mediterranian
6. Moroccan

Everything else...

Abbey Marie
03-15-2008, 08:09 PM
My husband just informed me that he has eaten a few times at a Burmese restuarant in Philly called Rangoon. According to him, good food, but Thai is better. I still want to try it.