PDA

View Full Version : Needs time to rebuild the party - get oot of town

Said1
03-16-2008, 06:57 PM
Mon deux, losing pow-er, est ti! Bon. Back to the chip wagon for us.!

PQ members vote to put sovereignty on hold

RHÉAL SÉGUIN

Globe and Mail Update

March 16, 2008 at 5:17 PM EDT

Saint-Hyacinthe, Que. — Members of the Parti Québécois overwhelmingly voted yesterday to rid the party of its obligation to hold a referendum on sovereignty and gave their leader Pauline Marois free rein to steer the PQ on a more conservative political course.

The major shift in policy means that the party will not seek a mandate to hold a referendum on sovereignty in the next election. Ms. Marois promises a “sovereigntist government” that will seek greater powers for Quebec but that the obligation to hold a referendum has been suspended indefinitely.

At the conclusion of the weekend PQ meeting, Ms. Marois bordered on tears when asked to comment on the importance of winning her fight to suspend the referendum agenda.

“I've been an activist in this party for 30 years and I love these people,” Ms. Marois said. “I love them for their conviction, for their commitment – even when they don't agree with me.”

Gaffer
03-16-2008, 07:05 PM
Now she'll have to weasel around and try to get it in the back door.

Said1
03-16-2008, 07:08 PM
Now she'll have to weasel around and try to get it in the back door.

Think of the supposed left/right divide in the USA and the typical bashing that goes on - only make it English/French. Oh, and one side wants their own country. :laugh2:

Gaffer
03-16-2008, 07:20 PM
And she wasn't crying because she loved the people, she was crying because she didn't get her way.