PDA

View Full Version : "mainstream media" distorts Iraq casualties

gabosaurus
03-17-2008, 10:10 PM
I was sitting on an airplane today, listening to a radio program. A guy whose son died in Iraq was complaining about how the "mainstream media" refused to allow him to tell his story.
His son was a National Guardsman who was on a 12-month tour tour of duty. It was extended to 15 months, then extended again without notice. In his 17th month, he was killed while on patrol.
Media came to the father's home looking for the usual "fallen war hero" story. When the mass found out that he was bitter about both his son's deployment and the Pentagon's refusal to explain his extended tour of duty, they all left.
When dad pressed for an explanation, he was told "this is not the type of story we want to report" or "our advertisers would not approve of this type of story."
Basically, if there is no pride and heroism involved, the "mainstream media" doesn't want to tell your story.

Neither does the government. Dad was admonished for his attempts at "negative publicity" and told to keep his mouth shut.

Kathianne
03-17-2008, 10:12 PM
I was sitting on an airplane today, listening to a radio program. A guy whose son died in Iraq was complaining about how the "mainstream media" refused to allow him to tell his story.
His son was a National Guardsman who was on a 12-month tour tour of duty. It was extended to 15 months, then extended again without notice. In his 17th month, he was killed while on patrol.
Media came to the father's home looking for the usual "fallen war hero" story. When the mass found out that he was bitter about both his son's deployment and the Pentagon's refusal to explain his extended tour of duty, they all left.
When dad pressed for an explanation, he was told "this is not the type of story we want to report" or "our advertisers would not approve of this type of story."
Basically, if there is no pride and heroism involved, the "mainstream media" doesn't want to tell your story.

Neither does the government. Dad was admonished for his attempts at "negative publicity" and told to keep his mouth shut.

Link dear Gabby of old?

Dilloduck
03-17-2008, 10:16 PM
Link dear Gabby of old?

The plane she was on was a disneyland ride. :laugh2:

Gaffer
03-17-2008, 10:16 PM
What station was this on? If its just a story told on the radio how do you know its true? I can't believe abc, nbc, and cbs would pass up an opportunity to bash the military. Since there haven't been many US casualties in the past few months I would think they would be all over this. Somehow none of it rings true to me.

gabosaurus
03-17-2008, 10:50 PM
Think about it -- of all the Iraq war death stories, how many of them have broken the "he/her loved his/her country and died for freedom" mold?
Like, none of them?

manu1959
03-17-2008, 10:53 PM
Think about it -- of all the Iraq war death stories, how many of them have broken the "he/her loved his/her country and died for freedom" mold?
Like, none of them?

cindy the nut bag.....

gabosaurus
03-17-2008, 10:57 PM
Oh please, surely you can do better than that. Find me a normal person whose story was reported.