PDA

View Full Version : Google

Yurt
02-24-2007, 11:08 PM
WTF? Has anyone else noticed this site is not as useful as it was? I found USMB from google typing republican forums about 3 years ago, now, it is buried (actually could not find it in 3 pages and I don't care, so gave up, just did a comparison). This is due to the people who pay google to be on top. That is fine, but should be stated. I could not even find DP.com. Unless Jimmy has tagged his site with something else.

Any hints for good search engines?

stephanie
02-25-2007, 03:17 AM
WTF? Has anyone else noticed this site is not as useful as it was? I found USMB from Google typing republican forums about 3 years ago, now, it is buried (actually could not find it in 3 pages and I don't care, so gave up, just did a comparison). This is due to the people who pay Google to be on top. That is fine, but should be stated. I could not even find DP.com. Unless Jimmy has tagged his site with something else.

I feel the same as you...

I googled something about Billy Clinton and I think it took 15 pages to come even close to what I wanted to know...

I'm glad you brought this up...I've been thinking of getting rid of Google..
For one reason, didn't ted turner just purchase it??
And two for the reasons Yurt stated....

Great question Yurt........

Anyone know of any other sites????

Merlin
02-25-2007, 03:29 AM
WTF?

Have you tried pageclub.com? When I go there I click on dogpile. That is a multi-search and brings up answers from a lot of different search engines. I also use ask.com sometimes.

stephanie
02-25-2007, 03:32 AM
Thank you Merlin....I will check those out...:cheers2:

Sitarro
02-25-2007, 04:41 AM
I just checked under debatepolicy in dogpile, images at debate policy was 3 and the actual site was fifth. Dogpile also had something honoring Memorial Day in the header of their home page that day....nothing from google.

stephanie
02-25-2007, 04:57 AM
google isn't my homepage, Yahoo is... but google is a toolbar on my computer...

I'm thinking of dumping it...???

Would you??

jackass
02-25-2007, 08:28 AM
You can just go to Dogpile.com. I used to use it many years ago.

Merlin
02-25-2007, 08:40 AM

Would you??

Having a Google toolbar, or anything else like that on your computer is just another Do-Dad. The only extra Do-Dad I have is volumouse. As for Google, you can just type it in the address bar or open it from "almost" any web page you visit. I change my home page to fit my particular whim for that particular time of day. Right now it is an item on e-bay that I'm watching. Yes, dump the Google toolbar.

Abbey Marie
02-25-2007, 07:50 PM

Would you??

Stephanie, I just search via YAHOO, as that is also my home page. It seems ok. Do you have problems with it?

stephanie
02-25-2007, 08:15 PM
Stephanie, I just search via YAHOO, as that is also my home page. It seems ok. Do you have problems with it?

Not problems searching...

But it seems if you want some red meat on certain people(like Bj Clinton), you can't really find any....Almost like it's being censored...

Of course, my computer skills are very limited..:poke:

jimnyc
02-25-2007, 08:22 PM
Google and Yahoo are the only worthwhile search engines out there, IMO. The key is not necessarily which engine you use, but what search terms you use. Try to be creative and try different terms if you can't find what you like.

Personally, I like the Google toolbar, for a few reasons:

1 - I'm into Pagerank, and it automatically displays it for each page I go to.
2 - It has Google's search engine built right in so you can easily search no matter where you are.
3 - Install Google Desktop, it adds a button to the toolbar. Now you can search your computer as if it's the internet. Great for locating documents, emails and other files you can't locate.
4 - Has link to Gmail
5 - Very adaptable, you can add extra features to it like dictionaries and such...

Gaffer
02-26-2007, 12:02 PM
Another search engine you can try is altavista. It was always pretty good at bringing up unusual sites.

If you google search engines it should bring up a bunch more.