PDA

View Full Version : Obama and His 'White Grandmother'

stephanie
03-18-2008, 04:09 PM
Him doing this to his grandmother is what I find truly disturbing about him..

By JAMES TARANTO
March 18, 2008

Barack Obama took the stage this morning to give what was billed as a "major speech on race." It was, of course, an attempt to rescue his campaign from the revelation that his so-called spiritual mentor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, espouses a virulently anti-American and antiwhite worldview called "black liberation theology."

Here is the part of the speech that bothered us most:

I can no more disown [Wright] than I can my white grandmother--a woman who helped raise me, a woman who sacrificed again and again for me, a woman who loves me as much as she loves anything in this world, but a woman who once confessed her fear of black men who passed by her on the street, and who on more than one occasion has uttered racial or ethnic stereotypes that made me cringe.
Our first thought was that it was pretty low of Obama to exploit his (still living) grandmother in this way. Is it really necessary for the whole world to know about her private expressions of prejudice? Doesn't simple decency dictate that a public figure treat embarrassing facts about loved ones with discretion?

Obama was trying to accomplish something very specific by dragging his "white grandmother" into this political mess. He was trying to diminish Wright's hateful theology by implying that it too is a private matter. Said Obama:

read the rest..
http://online.wsj.com/article/best_of_the_web_today.html

hjmick
03-18-2008, 04:16 PM
Isn't it interesting that we have yet to see Obama's White grandmother and his White sister during his campaign for the Oval office? Is he ashamed of them? Is it because they are White? Is it because they are White and it would detract from the "fact" that he is a "Black" man running for President?

theHawk
03-18-2008, 04:20 PM
Just when I thought this guy couldn't be a bigger sack of shit than he already is....

gabosaurus
03-18-2008, 04:22 PM
Thanks for not getting the point. You can always pick and choose certain things to criticize.

truthmatters
03-18-2008, 04:27 PM
She was born in 1922. Her time was a different time folks.

Now prove he did not talk to his grandmother to get her permission to talk about this?

retiredman
03-18-2008, 04:33 PM
Isn't it interesting that we have yet to see Obama's White grandmother and his White sister during his campaign for the Oval office? Is he ashamed of them? Is it because they are White? Is it because they are White and it would detract from the "fact" that he is a "Black" man running for President?

If you haven't seen his sister, you haven't been lookiing. She took a leave of absence from her teaching job to join his campaign full time.

hjmick
03-18-2008, 04:44 PM
If you haven't seen his sister, you haven't been lookiing. She took a leave of absence from her teaching job to join his campaign full time.

I had heard that, but I honestly haven't seen her, though I'm not sure I'd recognize her I did. I don't imagine she's wearing a name tag that reads Obama's sister, LOL. I guess my questions come from the point of view that the other candidates parade their family members around as if they were in an easter pageant.

stephanie
03-18-2008, 04:44 PM
I don't think Obambam did himself any good today..Like we all needed a sermon about racism from someone running as our President, when he was suppose to be explaining about his association with a racist, bigoted pastor..

And the overstock of flags on the stage...was a real joke..It looked like they had to go dig them out a box from somewhere..

I hope the American people wake up before Nov...:cheers2:

retiredman
03-18-2008, 04:48 PM
I had heard that, but I honestly haven't seen her, though I'm not sure I'd recognize her I did. I don't imagine she's wearing a name tag that reads Obama's sister, LOL. I guess my questions come from the point of view that the other candidates parade their family members around as if they were in an easter pageant.

he is not like "other candidates".

and his grandmother clearly stated in 2004 that here health was failing and that she had no intention of giving any more interviews. period.

truthmatters
03-18-2008, 04:51 PM
http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=36854

this has pictures of his sister.

His mother and grandfather are dead.

His grandmother is in still in the islands and in poor health.

hjmick
03-18-2008, 04:56 PM
he is not like "other candidates".

and his grandmother clearly stated in 2004 that here health was failing and that she had no intention of giving any more interviews. period.

You're right, he is definately not like other candidates.

hjmick
03-18-2008, 04:58 PM
http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=36854

this has pictures of his sister.

His mother and grandfather are dead.

His grandmother is in still in the islands and in poor health.

Thanks, TM. I did a Google image search and that was one of the pictures that came up. The other was a distinctly different woman who I can only assume is his other sister.

retiredman
03-18-2008, 05:16 PM
Thanks, TM. I did a Google image search and that was one of the pictures that came up. The other was a distinctly different woman who I can only assume is his other sister.

that woman in the google image search sitting at the table with all of the campaign buttons is not his sister. His sister Auma is from his father's first marriage to a kenyan woman. Auma lives in England.

Dilloduck
03-18-2008, 05:21 PM

By JAMES TARANTO
March 18, 2008

Barack Obama took the stage this morning to give what was billed as a "major speech on race." It was, of course, an attempt to rescue his campaign from the revelation that his so-called spiritual mentor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, espouses a virulently anti-American and antiwhite worldview called "black liberation theology."

I can no more disown [Wright] than I can my white grandmother--a woman who helped raise me, a woman who sacrificed again and again for me, a woman who loves me as much as she loves anything in this world, but a woman who once confessed her fear of black men who passed by her on the street, and who on more than one occasion has uttered racial or ethnic stereotypes that made me cringe.
Our first thought was that it was pretty low of Obama to exploit his (still living) grandmother in this way. Is it really necessary for the whole world to know about her private expressions of prejudice? Doesn't simple decency dictate that a public figure treat embarrassing facts about loved ones with discretion?

Obama was trying to accomplish something very specific by dragging his "white grandmother" into this political mess. He was trying to diminish Wright's hateful theology by implying that it too is a private matter. Said Obama:

read the rest..

Why didn't he just say "my grandmother" instead of white grandmother ?

hjmick
03-18-2008, 05:22 PM
that woman in the google image search sitting at the table with all of the campaign buttons is not his sister. His sister Auma is from his father's first marriage to a kenyan woman. Auma lives in England.

I didn't see the table photo, there was a wedding photo with a woman standing between Barack and his wife.

retiredman
03-18-2008, 05:27 PM
I didn't see the table photo, there was a wedding photo with a woman standing between Barack and his wife.

that's not her either...do a google image search on Auma Obama.

stephanie
03-18-2008, 05:30 PM

He wouldn't of been able to use her to make his point about how whitey is racist..:coffee:

truthmatters
03-18-2008, 05:36 PM
Because not all people know she is white people.

If this is really the message that you take away from this speech then you dont want to see any black person as sensable.

You will refuse any talk of the races working together in a common cause of the countries best interest as false and full of lies.

Ther are solid reasons this can not come from a black republican. Republicans have targeted the black vote to have it stripped and have been caught doing so more that once.

Some will insist that they onkly vote dem because they want a free ride. This further insults the black people of this country as being unwilling to do their share.

The republicans have done nothing to swing the black vote their way and have done and said many things to swing them away from the republican party.

JohnDoe
03-18-2008, 05:46 PM

=he has both a white grandmother and a black grandmother

similar to me having my American grandmother and my Italian grandmother....when speaking about them with my husband, i would always lead with which one, like ''my Italian grandmother was a great cook.''

but as stephanie said, he had to say her ''color'' to emphasize his point about her being afraid of blacks...., and to note he was raised by her.

jd

Mr. P
03-18-2008, 05:48 PM
Thanks for not getting the point. You can always pick and choose certain things to criticize.

Obamas point was everybody does it and it's justified based on history . I guess that makes it ok in his mind. Instead of justifying it shouldn't he be condemning it, if he is truly promoting "hope" and "change"?

He's a great speaker, but not great enough to mask an obvious diversion from very divisive issues.

Abbey Marie
03-18-2008, 05:49 PM
=he has both a white grandmother and a black grandmother

similar to me having my American grandmother and my Italian grandmother....when speaking about them with my husband, i would always lead with which one, like ''my Italian grandmother was a great cook.''

but as stephanie said, he had to say her ''color'' to emphasize his point about her being afraid of blacks...., and to note he was raised by her.

jd

Really? I would say "my mom's mother" or "my grandmother on my mother's side", or "Grandma [fill in last name]". It never occurred to me to identify them by their ethnic origins.

truthmatters
03-18-2008, 05:55 PM
So this is really it?

This is really what you guys are going to try and carry into the election?

Obama is a racist.

Failed war, failed economy and black people are racist for wanting to elect Obama.

McCain will solve all this.

we will be a better country because we will continue the same war and the same tax cuts which gave us this economy. The young people of this country will just have to realize the black people are too racist to ever be president.

Mr. P
03-18-2008, 05:59 PM
Because not all people know she is white people.

If this is really the message that you take away from this speech then you dont want to see any black person as sensable.

You will refuse any talk of the races working together in a common cause of the countries best interest as false and full of lies.

Ther are solid reasons this can not come from a black republican. Republicans have targeted the black vote to have it stripped and have been caught doing so more that once.

Some will insist that they onkly vote dem because they want a free ride. This further insults the black people of this country as being unwilling to do their share.

The republicans have done nothing to swing the black vote their way and have done and said many things to swing them away from the republican party.

Yer full O shit. Georgia has a LARGE black population and has been voting republican for several years.

stephanie
03-18-2008, 06:05 PM
So this is really it?

This is really what you guys are going to try and carry into the election?

Obama is a racist.

Failed war, failed economy and black people are racist for wanting to elect Obama.

McCain will solve all this.

we will be a better country because we will continue the same war and the same tax cuts which gave us this economy. The young people of this country will just have to realize the black people are too racist to ever be president.

Don't forget these..

Obambam hates the United States.

Obambam is a Marxist.

Obambam is a empty suit..

:cheers2:

JohnDoe
03-18-2008, 06:08 PM
Really? I would say "my mom's mother" or "my grandmother on my mother's side", or "Grandma [fill in last name]". It never occurred to me to identify them by their ethnic origins.

"my grandmother on my mother's side''

way too formal to say in a casual conversation with matthew....and nationality mattered usually when discussing one of them.... if it was my italian grandmom, it took a different meaning than my american grandmom.... mainly because she was not born here and did not speak english and the complications that came with that in trying to translate what she was saying and why she viewed things in a different light than my american grandmom....

i would imagine it could be the same with obama, speaking about his white grandmom takes on a different meaning than speaking about his black grandmom?

jd

actsnoblemartin
03-18-2008, 06:18 PM
wright is an asshole. I stand by that. He should be jailed for sedition and deported. Blank Him

stephanie
03-18-2008, 06:25 PM
im sorry but wright is a stupid fucking n&&^&*^* ( (Ignorant)

He can kiss my proud white ass, fucking queer. He can go back to Africa and live in the jungle for all i care.

In this one special case I hope he is lynched (not for being black) but for being an asshole, the moron is barely black. He looks white, with a few brown spots lol

He should close his c*** catcher.

Martin please...
when you come in talking like this, you really ruin a thread..
You're sounding just like Obama's pastor Wright..
this post should be DELETED..

actsnoblemartin
03-18-2008, 06:30 PM
Fine, but the spirit of my thread wont be silenced.

He deserves to be jailed for sedition, and deported

along with those who believe like him

you wanna hate america, liberals

get the :laugh2: out

Martin please...
when you come in talking like this, you really ruin a thread..
You're sounding just like Obama's pastor Wright..
this post should be DELETED..

retiredman
03-18-2008, 07:01 PM
Yer full O shit. Georgia has a LARGE black population and has been voting republican for several years.my guess is that exit polls would show that blacks in Georgia, as in every other state, vote predominantly with the democrats.

retiredman
03-18-2008, 07:04 PM
wright is an asshole. I stand by that. He should be jailed for sedition and deported. Blank Him

how nazi-like of you. or is freedom of speech only for caucasians and jews in your world?

And where would you deport him TO?

manu1959
03-18-2008, 07:23 PM
how nazi-like of you. or is freedom of speech only for caucasians and jews in your world?

And where would you deport him TO?

hate speech and speech to incite is not protected ...... that said ..... obama should either stand up for and defend his mentor or quit the church .....

right now he is making excuses .....

FSUK
03-18-2008, 08:11 PM

By JAMES TARANTO
March 18, 2008

read the rest..

fucking give the man a break, whats your problem. fuck sake

manu1959
03-18-2008, 08:13 PM

why should he get a break.......

Yurt
03-18-2008, 08:14 PM

he's a fucking racist for petes sake :poke:

the guy is running for high office, quit your whining about him being under the spotlight :poke:

you bitch and moan about bush all day, but its ok because bush is white

manu1959
03-18-2008, 08:17 PM
he's a fucking racist for petes sake :poke:

the guy is running for high office, quit your whining about him being under the spotlight :poke:

you bitch and moan about bush all day, but its ok because bush is white

he is from the uk and they take the piss outta the queen and the pm all day every day.....

stephanie
03-18-2008, 08:21 PM

why do you care so much about Obambam..you got a crush on him?:laugh2:

FSUK
03-18-2008, 08:21 PM
I can guarantee you one thing, if obama was WHITE-all this comotion in the press and all the fucking trees up your asses would not be there.

He is not a racist, all of you wont shut the fuck up- 1. he is black. 2. he has muslim links. this is why all you dicks wont shut the fuck up.

seriously, wake the fuck up.

manu1959
03-18-2008, 08:24 PM
I can guarantee you one thing, if obama was WHITE-all this comotion in the press and all the fucking trees up your asses would not be there.

He is not a racist, all of you wont shut the fuck up- 1. he is black. 2. he has muslim links. this is why all you dicks wont shut the fuck up.

if he was white he would have been dissmissed as inexperienced and young.....and clinton would be the candidate.....

he may or may not be racist ... i do know he has been a member of a church with hateful pastor and mentor for 20 years and failed to notice......

he is not black he is a mulato....

yes his fathers were muslim but he claims to be a christian.....

hjmick
03-18-2008, 08:29 PM

He is not Black. He is not, to my knowledge, linked to Islam or Muslims except for his name and some familial ties. I, for one do not have a tree up my ass and I can guarantee you one thing, if he were White, and especially if he were a White Republican, there most certainly would be "all this commotion" in the press, more so if he were to be the afore mentioned White Republican. It is the nature of the press and the political season.

FSUK
03-18-2008, 08:29 PM
if he was white he would have been dissmissed as inexperienced and young.....and clinton would be the candidate.....

he may or may not be racist ... i do know he has been a member of a church with hateful pastor and mentor for 20 years and failed to notice......

whats your fucking point? oh , i forgot, you dont have a credible point. Its simple obama bashing by you guys. I find it sick, that so many people are simply intolerant of people with different faiths or backgrounds.

It seems the criteria on this forum is - love israel and hate everything else. Its just so obvious. Many here are hypocrites, and seem to love double standards. You all support a terror govt in israel ( nothing against the people in israel at all)- but at same time you all fucking bash people that have done nothing wrong.

manu1959
03-18-2008, 08:33 PM
whats your fucking point? oh , i forgot, you dont have a credible point. Its simple obama bashing by you guys. I find it sick, that so many people are simply intolerant of people with different faiths or backgrounds.

It seems the criteria on this forum is - love israel and hate everything else. Its just so obvious. Many here are hypocrites, and seem to love double standards. You all support a terror govt in israel ( nothing against the people in israel at all)- but at same time you all fucking bash people that have done nothing wrong. I bet you feel the Mr Katsav was innocent also.

you seem quite intolerant of people with different faiths or backgrounds given how you speak to me.....

which one of my points was factually incorrect.....

so you hate israel and anyone that disagrees with you......got it....thanks

Yurt
03-18-2008, 08:35 PM
good point manu, it is interesting how obama supporters have drastically increased the "fuck" word in their posts since this came out. shows desperation.....

stephanie
03-18-2008, 08:36 PM

We don't have to shut up..you shut up.

every other word out of your mouth is the F word anyway, and all you do is whine...

:lalala:

manu1959
03-18-2008, 08:37 PM
good point manu, it is interesting how obama supporters have drastically increased the "fuck" word in their posts since this came out. shows desperation.....

fsuk is a muslim in the uk......tough life at the moment.....the english are getting pissed off.....

Yurt
03-18-2008, 08:39 PM
fsuk is a muslim in the uk......tough life at the moment.....the english are getting pissed off.....

didn't know that

feel sorry for the poor guy living in kuffar land instead of his wonderful "islamic" countries

hjmick
03-18-2008, 08:41 PM

And here I thought he was just a cranky limey venting his frustration because his favorite soccer team lost.

FSUK
03-18-2008, 08:41 PM

ok

stephanie
03-18-2008, 08:46 PM
you guys are the ones that wont shut the fuck up about obama, simply BECAUSE, YOU KNOW HE IS GOING TO BEAT YOU REPUBLICAN CANDIDATE, SO ALL OF YOU THINK ITS TIME TO DESTROY HIM BEFORE ITS TOO LATE.

SO OBVIOUS~

EVERYONE TALKS ABOUT HIS PASTOR-AS IF ITS SOME MAJOR ISSUE. HE DOESNT AGREE WITH ALL THE WORDS FROM THE PASTORS MOUTH. WHY CANT ANY1 FUCKING COME TO TERMS WITH THAT.?

WHY KEEP TALKING ABOUT HIS CHURCH? ARE YOU ALL SUCH HUGE RELIGIOUS PEOPLE THAT SUDDENLY RELIGION IS PREVENTING YOU FROM SLEEPING THESE NIGHTS?

FUCK SAKE, AND FUCK THIS.

NO WONDER THE UK IS NOT AS FUCKED UP AS THE USA- IF THIS FORUM IS ANYTHING TO GO BY- AND THE INTOLERANCE SHOWN HERE- IS FUCKING SHOCKING. BLATANT DISCRIMINATION, AND AMERICA TALKS OF CIVILITY AND HUMAN RIGHTS.

WELL NO WONDER, THE TROOPS TORTURE AND ABUSE PRISONERS IN IRAQ, THERE SEEMS TO BE NO MORALITY.

You are getting sleepy..
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m268/alaskamomma/Obama_hope-nosis.gif

Kathianne
you guys are the ones that wont shut the fuck up about obama, simply BECAUSE, YOU KNOW HE IS GOING TO BEAT YOU REPUBLICAN CANDIDATE, SO ALL OF YOU THINK ITS TIME TO DESTROY HIM BEFORE ITS TOO LATE.

SO OBVIOUS~

EVERYONE TALKS ABOUT HIS PASTOR-AS IF ITS SOME MAJOR ISSUE. HE DOESNT AGREE WITH ALL THE WORDS FROM THE PASTORS MOUTH. WHY CANT ANY1 FUCKING COME TO TERMS WITH THAT.?

WHY KEEP TALKING ABOUT HIS CHURCH? ARE YOU ALL SUCH HUGE RELIGIOUS PEOPLE THAT SUDDENLY RELIGION IS PREVENTING YOU FROM SLEEPING THESE NIGHTS?

NO WONDER THE UK IS NOT AS FUCKED UP AS THE USA- IF THIS FORUM IS ANYTHING TO GO BY- AND THE INTOLERANCE SHOWN HERE- IS FUCKING SHOCKING. BLATANT DISCRIMINATION, AND AMERICA TALKS OF CIVILITY AND HUMAN RIGHTS.

WELL NO WONDER, THE TROOPS TORTURE AND ABUSE PRISONERS IN IRAQ, THERE SEEMS TO BE NO MORALITY.

Funny thing, I remember I think it was yesterday, being very patient explaining the problem Obama had with this. Never once did I cuss or say those that thought differently were closet bigots or worse, as you and TM have said.

manu1959

SO OBVIOUS~

tell me why it took obama 20 years to realize his mentor was an asshole.....and by the way the uk is pretty fucked up dude......

manu1959
03-18-2008, 08:47 PM
ok

bummer dude you were quoted twice.....

FSUK
03-18-2008, 08:49 PM
i apologise for my outburst..stephanie- your right its 2am here..i need sleep.

but, people! im telling you obama is the next president. sorry if i offended.

Kathianne
03-18-2008, 08:51 PM

You weren't watching when Romney was called to explain Mormonism in 5 minutes or less? Defend polygamy that has been denounced by that faith for over 50 years?

You didn't hear the questioning of Evangelicalism for Huckabee, including myself?

You are silly.

hjmick
03-18-2008, 08:54 PM
i apologise for my outburst..stephanie- your right its 2am here..i need sleep.

but, people! im telling you obama is the next president. sorry if i offended.

I can't speak for the rest of the goofs around here, but it will take much more than what you posted to offend me, FS. If you are correct and Obama does indeed win the election, as I stated in another thread, he will have my support when I agree with him, and an e-mail when I dont, but he will be my President regardless. There is, however, a whole lot of ground to cover between now and November. Hell, the Dems have yet to choose their nominee. Where the Clintons are concerned, there are no sure things...

Mr. P
03-18-2008, 08:58 PM

It seems the criteria on this forum is - love israel and hate everything else. Its just so obvious. Many here are hypocrites, and seem to love double standards. You all support a terror govt in israel ( nothing against the people in israel at all)- but at same time you all fucking bash people that have done nothing wrong.

Hey, that tolerance shit is working pretty damn well in the UK ain't it? If ya haven't noticed yet, yer rapidly LOSING your Country. STFU until you get a clue!

CockySOB
03-18-2008, 09:01 PM

Child, you just really don't know when to close the pie-hole do you?

Obama knew Wright very well over a 20 year period. Wright was his pastor, his friend, his mentor and his spiritual advisor ON HIS CAMPAIGN. Moreover, Obama KNEW of Wright's extremely "controversial" views (anti-American and racist). WE know that Obama knew this because over a year ago, Obama disinvited Wright to stand up with him as he announced he was running for POTUS. And yet Obama continues to dodge and weave, claiming that he never witnessed any such statements. THEN Obama has the temerity to claim that he would NEVER allow such hate-filled rhetoric in his administration in any capacity.

Obama's already shown that he WOULD have such a person on his campaign committee KNOWINGLY - a contradiction of his claim.

HOW THE HELL CAN ANYONE TAKE HIM SERIOUSLY ON THAT CLAIM???

Care to take a stab at this, FSUK?

manu1959
03-18-2008, 09:01 PM
Hey, that tolerance shit is working pretty damn well in the UK ain't it? If ya haven't noticed yet, yer rapidly LOSING your Country. STFU until you get a clue!

funny thing is he ain't english he is an import from the me and a muslim to boot....

manu1959
03-18-2008, 09:03 PM
Child, you just really don't know when to close the pie-hole do you?

Obama knew Wright very well over a 20 year period. Wright was his pastor, his friend, his mentor and his spiritual advisor ON HIS CAMPAIGN. Moreover, Obama KNEW of Wright's extremely "controversial" views (anti-American and racist). WE know that Obama knew this because over a year ago, Obama disinvited Wright to stand up with him as he announced he was running for POTUS. And yet Obama continues to dodge and weave, claiming that he never witnessed any such statements. THEN Obama has the temerity to claim that he would NEVER allow such hate-filled rhetoric in his administration in any capacity.

Obama's already shown that he WOULD have such a person on his campaign committee KNOWINGLY - a contradiction of his claim.

HOW THE HELL CAN ANYONE TAKE HIM SERIOUSLY ON THAT CLAIM???

Care to take a stab at this, FSUK?

not to mention that in today's speech he said he did hear things he disagreed with that his mentor said......

CockySOB
03-18-2008, 09:08 PM
not to mention that in today's speech he said he did hear things he disagreed with that his mentor said......

And in the speech Obama claimed that Wright was like family to him. Now, I don't know anyone who would call someone family and NOT know their views and opinions, especially when the other person is so outspoken in those views and opinions.

manu1959
03-18-2008, 09:18 PM
And in the speech Obama claimed that Wright was like family to him. Now, I don't know anyone who would call someone family and NOT know their views and opinions, especially when the other person is so outspoken in those views and opinions.

been "family for 20 years" ....... and he threw his "white" grandma under the bus as a racist ..... to justify his mentor's "contoversial" statements .....

nice guy.....

Mr. P
03-18-2008, 09:31 PM
funny thing is he ain't english he is an import from the me and a muslim to boot....

NO SHIT? That explains the hate for Israel too then.

Geeezzzzzzzzz:laugh2::laugh2:

Yurt
03-18-2008, 10:19 PM
been "family for 20 years" ....... and he threw his "white" grandma under the bus as a racist ..... to justify his mentor's "contoversial" statements .....

nice guy.....

amazes me how so many libs missed this....oh wait, his grandma is white

retiredman
03-18-2008, 11:30 PM
amazes me how so many libs missed this....oh wait, his grandma is white

it is amazing to me how moderates and conservatives all over cable television tonight - from David Gergen to Bay Buchanan to Bill O'Reilly - were applauding the speech. but little cyber bantam roosters like yurt think otherwise!:lol:

He didn't THROW his grandma under the bus.... he spoke the truth about her. She's a big girl... bank VP... I am quite certain she is proud of her grandson's honesty today.

Yurt
03-18-2008, 11:57 PM
it is amazing to me how moderates and conservatives all over cable television tonight - from David Gergen to Bay Buchanan to Bill O'Reilly - were applauding the speech. but little cyber bantam roosters like yurt think otherwise!:lol:

He didn't THROW his grandma under the bus.... he spoke the truth about her. She's a big girl... bank VP... I am quite certain she is proud of her grandson's honesty today.

you do realize this makes you a little cyber bantam rooster as well...... :poke:

glad to know then that I do not parrot other people's words or opinions and that i form my own. thank you MFM, i appreciate the compliment.

:)

retiredman
03-19-2008, 12:00 AM
you do realize this makes you a little cyber bantam rooster as well...... :poke:

glad to know then that I do not parrot other people's words or opinions and that i form my own. thank you MFM, i appreciate the compliment.

:)

oh...you certainly form your own opinions. so do I.

Yurt
03-19-2008, 12:14 AM
oh...you certainly form your own opinions. so do I.

would you use something your grandma said decades ago to justify a white racist today? .....well, they just said things like that back then.... would you tarnish your grandmother's reputation to defend your pastor's actions? as if your grandmother caused your pastor to do something.

manu1959
03-19-2008, 12:28 AM
would you use something your grandma said decades ago to justify a white racist today? .....well, they just said things like that back then.... would you tarnish your grandmother's reputation to defend your pastor's actions? as if your grandmother caused your pastor to do something.

obama threw his "white" grandma under the bus as a racist.......man i would not want to be this guys buddy.......

JohnDoe
03-19-2008, 06:32 AM
obama threw his "white" grandma under the bus as a racist.......man i would not want to be this guys buddy.......I think as "white people" we may think that Obama has thrown his grandmom under the bus because Obama came out and told the TRUTH about his grandmom's fear of black people on the street, and her use of racial words.....BECAUSE more than likely we all feel that he was "telling" on us...us white folk...thus the throwing under the bus comments from alot of you....

I am not an Obama follower, but i can clearly see this.... I know the generation I was brought up in.... I was born in Alabama and all my American relatives come from that region...my grandmother certainly was saying the things his grandmother was saying....shoot all my southern relatives were racist....I saw this start to change about 25 years ago....the self evaluation of themselves regarding their inner racism and my family has come a long long way in ridding their racism.... I am proud of them.

My father could not stand the racism of his family as a kid and left home at 17 to get away from them....

I don't think Obama said anything that was NOT TRUE.... if that is throwing his grandmom under the bus, then he did the right thing by throwing her under the bus imo....

What I do have a little bit of a problem with is people thinking that Obama came from the same humble beginnings as them....he did not, he has lead a privileged life...a harvard grad, his wife is a Princeton grad.

jd

Dilloduck
03-19-2008, 07:01 AM
I think as "white people" we may think that Obama has thrown his grandmom under the bus because Obama came out and told the TRUTH about his grandmom's fear of black people on the street, and her use of racial words.....BECAUSE more than likely we all feel that he was "telling" on us...us white folk...thus the throwing under the bus comments from alot of you....

I am not an Obama follower, but i can clearly see this.... I know the generation I was brought up in.... I was born in Alabama and all my American relatives come from that region...my grandmother certainly was saying the things his grandmother was saying....shoot all my southern relatives were racist....I saw this start to change about 25 years ago....the self evaluation of themselves regarding their inner racism and my family has come a long long way in ridding their racism.... I am proud of them.

My father could not stand the racism of his family as a kid and left home at 17 to get away from them....

I don't think Obama said anything that was NOT TRUE.... if that is throwing his grandmom under the bus, then he did the right thing by throwing her under the bus imo....

What I do have a little bit of a problem with is people thinking that Obama came from the same humble beginnings as them....he did not, he has lead a privileged life...a harvard grad, his wife is a Princeton grad.

jd

and Punahoe High school in Hawaii---elite to say the least--I would have liked to hear more about the racist attitudes of his black grandmother if that was really the point he was trying to make.

Kathianne
03-19-2008, 07:11 AM
I think as "white people" we may think that Obama has thrown his grandmom under the bus because Obama came out and told the TRUTH about his grandmom's fear of black people on the street, and her use of racial words.....BECAUSE more than likely we all feel that he was "telling" on us...us white folk...thus the throwing under the bus comments from alot of you....

jd
What he failed to note about 'his white grandmom's fears' is that a lot of black women have the same fears about those young black men, as they do commit a disproportionate percentage of crime, mostly against their own.

JD, he very eloquently made an attempt to blame whitey for all the prejudice of the black community. He also gives a total pass on the prejudice of the black community, in fact gives justification of it. There is no evidence that he has or will try to turn any of the divide around. Yet people that support him keep speaking of how he is a 'unifier.' Hardly.

CockySOB
03-19-2008, 07:33 AM
Hat tip: Tom Maguire @ JOM (http://justoneminute.typepad.com/main/2008/03/new-barack-thre.html)

There is nothing more painful to me ... than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery, then look around and see somebody white and feel relieved. -- the Reverend Jesse Jackson, as quoted in US News (http://www.usnews.com/usnews/opinion/articles/960318/archive_010008.htm), 3/10/96

JD, it's not just Obama's "white grandmother" who has that fear of young black men - the Rev. Jesse Jackson, demagogue that he is, holds the same fear.

retiredman
03-19-2008, 08:44 AM

Silly question. Obama never implied that his grandmother caused Reverend Wright to do anything. My grandmother was born in Ireland and came over on the boat when she was eight and moved to Arkansas in the 1890's. She WAS racist. SHe, like Obama's grandmother, was afraid of blacks AND mexicans. It took her YEARS of living in northern Illinois and getting to know the black workers in her husband's factory, and getting to know their families, before she finally shed that racism. She would have ZERO problem with me speaking the truth about her today. She would certainly not consider my truth telling to be "throwing her under the bus".

retiredman
03-19-2008, 08:47 AM
What he failed to note about 'his white grandmom's fears' is that a lot of black women have the same fears about those young black men, as they do commit a disproportionate percentage of crime, mostly against their own.

JD, he very eloquently made an attempt to blame whitey for all the prejudice of the black community. He also gives a total pass on the prejudice of the black community, in fact gives justification of it. There is no evidence that he has or will try to turn any of the divide around. Yet people that support him keep speaking of how he is a 'unifier.' Hardly.

I listened to Jim Wallis last night and he had a completely different take on Obama's speech. You should be aware that your negative opinion of it is not universally shared.

Kathianne
03-19-2008, 04:04 PM
I listened to Jim Wallis last night and he had a completely different take on Obama's speech. You should be aware that your negative opinion of it is not universally shared.

I figured out long ago that some are not very bright. :poke:

retiredman
03-19-2008, 04:24 PM
I figured out long ago that some are not very bright. :poke:

Yeah...Jim Wallis is a real dim bulb. [/sarcasm off]

manu1959
03-19-2008, 05:24 PM

gee imagine that......1/2 the people think he is great and 1/2 don't......he will bring us all together i tell ya....hope and change baby.....hope and change

retiredman
03-19-2008, 06:34 PM
gee imagine that......1/2 the people think he is great and 1/2 don't......he will bring us all together i tell ya....hope and change baby.....hope and change

I really have no illusions that he will bring everyone together. there will be stubborn folks like you who wouldn't come towards the center if Jesus were beckoning you. I will just be pleased to get this country headed in a different direction from the way that the republican party has taken us. If that means that some percentage of the population is terribly unhappy and has to be dragged along kicking and screaming, that is fine with me.... no one in the republican party seemed to have given a shit about the fact that a lot of democrats - myself included - have been in that boat for seven years. It'll just be nice to change course...even if the caterwauling from the right will be mildly annoying.:laugh2:

truthmatters
03-19-2008, 06:46 PM
McSame will continue the same Bush devisive admin. and you already Hate Hillary so yes Obama is the best person to bring this country together.

Trigg
03-19-2008, 06:50 PM
McSame will continue the same Bush devisive admin. and you already Hate Hillary so yes Obama is the best person to bring this country together.

He would be an ineffectual president at best.

He is a motivational speaker, who does well with young people who aren't paying attention to the issues.

truthmatters
03-19-2008, 08:30 PM
He would be an ineffectual president at best.

He is a motivational speaker, who does well with young people who aren't paying attention to the issues.

On what do you base these observations?

He has a record of bringing people in and getting things done.

He has energized the youth vote and has brought in more Rs than I have ever seen to vote for him. I know several who are going to vote for him.

Because young people dont agree with you does not mean they are ill informed.

Dilloduck
03-19-2008, 08:36 PM

He has energized the youth vote and has brought in more Rs than I have ever seen to vote for him. I know several who are going to vote for him.

It doesn't matter--Hillary will get the nod anyway.

manu1959
03-19-2008, 08:51 PM

really....name three groups he brought together and three things they accomplished.....

well by your own admission R's are stupid so bring a bunch in shouldn't have been that hard.......

as for a young energetic articualte person sucking in young inexperienced people......jim jones did that as did david koresh and hitler.....

truthmatters
03-19-2008, 08:57 PM
http://www.obama08-wa.com/?q=overview-barack-obamas-10-years-illinois-and-u-s-senator

In an interview, Senator Obama stated that his signature bills while in Springfield, the ones he's most proud of, were: expanding Kidcare (health insurance for an additional 20,000 Illinois children); welfare reform (a bipartisan bill passed in Republican controlled senate, generating major headlines); earned income tax credit (tax relief for working poor families); and death penalty reform. (He supports the death penalty in exceptional circumstances, but wanted all interrogations to be videotaped. Initially viewed as a highly controversial proposal, Senator Obama listened to all sides of the debate, incorporated ideas from many individuals, and the result was a bill that passed the Senate 58-0, and was signed into law by a governor who originally opposed Senator Obama's bill.)

Though not cited by Senator Obama in the same interview, I would add to his major achievements in Springfield: campaign finance reform; and ethics reform. These were considered major accomplishments in Illinois. When Senator Obama entered the Illinois Senate, he told Emil Jones, the Democratic majority leader in the Illinois Senate, that he wanted to work hard. He asked Senator Jones to send him any difficult assignments. On the issue of campaign finance reform, he was handpicked by Mr. Jones to lead the Democrats' senate efforts at campaign finance reform. (Senator Obama wanted to limit individual contributions, but nipped and tucked seeking consensus. Obama was pragmatic. The result was the most ambitious campaign finance reform in nearly 25 years, according to good government groups.)

manu1959
03-19-2008, 09:11 PM
http://www.obama08-wa.com/?q=overview-barack-obamas-10-years-illinois-and-u-s-senator

In an interview, Senator Obama stated that his signature bills while in Springfield, the ones he's most proud of, were: expanding Kidcare (health insurance for an additional 20,000 Illinois children); welfare reform (a bipartisan bill passed in Republican controlled senate, generating major headlines); earned income tax credit (tax relief for working poor families); and death penalty reform. (He supports the death penalty in exceptional circumstances, but wanted all interrogations to be videotaped. Initially viewed as a highly controversial proposal, Senator Obama listened to all sides of the debate, incorporated ideas from many individuals, and the result was a bill that passed the Senate 58-0, and was signed into law by a governor who originally opposed Senator Obama's bill.)

Though not cited by Senator Obama in the same interview, I would add to his major achievements in Springfield: campaign finance reform; and ethics reform. These were considered major accomplishments in Illinois. When Senator Obama entered the Illinois Senate, he told Emil Jones, the Democratic majority leader in the Illinois Senate, that he wanted to work hard. He asked Senator Jones to send him any difficult assignments. On the issue of campaign finance reform, he was handpicked by Mr. Jones to lead the Democrats' senate efforts at campaign finance reform. (Senator Obama wanted to limit individual contributions, but nipped and tucked seeking consensus. Obama was pragmatic. The result was the most ambitious campaign finance reform in nearly 25 years, according to good government groups.)

so he is a good local politician......i will conceed the point......i wish him all the best in springfield.......

Kathianne
03-19-2008, 09:16 PM
so he is a good local politician......i will conceed the point......i wish him all the best in springfield.......

Mixed bag:

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/Vote2008/story?id=4339659

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iK-AonJ7KrNoGaEUdj6xsc3_8fmwD8VCV6GO0

manu1959
03-19-2008, 09:17 PM
Mixed bag:

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/Vote2008/story?id=4339659

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iK-AonJ7KrNoGaEUdj6xsc3_8fmwD8VCV6GO0

i asked for three....didn't figure she would cite his failures.....

Trigg
03-20-2008, 10:38 AM

Well now, I base my observations on that fact that I've watched some of his speaches and I think that all he is a very good motivational speaker and that is all. People leave his speaches feeling good about themselves, what with his promise of "hope" for the presidency.

He is bringing in independents, lets see your proof of the republicans voting for him.

I didn't say the youth had to agree with me. I said he is getting the youth vote because they arn't paying attention to the issues. IF they were they would be voting for Hillary in the same numbers, since they basically agree with each other. Their policies, from what I understand, arn't that different from the other.

Nukeman
03-20-2008, 10:52 AM
Well now, I base my observations on that fact that I've watched some of his speaches and I think that all he is a very good motivational speaker and that is all. People leave his speaches feeling good about themselves, what with his promise of "hope" for the presidency.

He is bringing in independents, lets see your proof of the republicans voting for him.

I didn't say the youth had to agree with me. I said he is getting the youth vote because they arn't paying attention to the issues. IF they were they would be voting for Hillary in the same numbers, since they basically agree with each other. Their policies, from what I understand, arn't that different from the other.Now.....Now..... Don't confuse here with actual thought!!! Or realistic observations:slap:

mrg666
03-25-2008, 12:24 AM
apparently amy wine house as re recorded valerie , and substituded valerie for hillary for when she becomes the first woman president in the history of the usa .
that is only a rumour but the cd's are being pressed now :salute:

DragonStryk72
03-25-2008, 11:03 AM

By JAMES TARANTO
March 18, 2008

read the rest..

Oh christ, he apologizes, it's suspect, he comes out against what his pastor said, he's lying, and then there was the "he's secretly a muslim" crap, and now, when he does finally lay everything out in terms that anyone can understand, in a speech that had a heading of being about race, and the ONLY thing you pull out of it, the only thing, was this one section you have chosen to cast in an onerous light, where no such stain exists.

Maybe he did this: Maybe, just possible here, but he could have either spoken to his grandmother if she's still alive, or alternatively, talked to his family about the speech ahead of time, making sure it was okay with them. I mean, I know, completely impossible that Obama could show a shred of anything decent in your eyes, but sometimes, people are complete beings, not caricatures.

I am already completely sick of this election year, and we haven't even gotten to the actual campaigns.

Sitarro
03-25-2008, 01:56 PM
Hey Dragon,
Was that the black Christ that the Trinity Church prays to?

I find it very revealing that the one time he even acknowledges the white grandparents that raised his ass after his lousy African father left he and his mother when he was 2, it is to say what he did, to use her to score political points and justify his relationship with his crazy, rip off, black pastor.

He is not some great Messiah, he is just another lousy attorney turned politician. I find his speeches about as genuine as a used car sleaze pitch. Look into his eyes, I don't see a soul in his eyes. I have to admit though, I don't see a soul in McCain's or Hilldabeast either.

I will never support anyone that feels a need to clarify what kind of American he or she is. Either you are an American or not. The silly thing about blacks referring to themselves as black-Americans, Afro-Americans or the current, trendy, African American, is that unless you are blind anyone can see skin color........ what is the point, who actually gives a shit?

Pale Rider
03-25-2008, 02:16 PM
Hey Dragon,
Was that the black Christ that the Trinity Church prays to?

I find it very revealing that the one time he even acknowledges the white grandparents that raised his ass after his lousy African father left he and his mother when he was 2, it is to say what he did, to use her to score political points and justify his relationship with his crazy, rip off, black pastor.

He is not some great Messiah, he is just another lousy attorney turned politician. I find his speeches about as genuine as a used car sleaze pitch. Look into his eyes, I don't see a soul in his eyes. I have to admit though, I don't see a soul in McCain's or Hilldabeast either.

I will never support anyone that feels a need to clarify what kind of American he or she is. Either you are an American or not. The silly thing about blacks referring to themselves as black-Americans, Afro-Americans or the current, trendy, African American, is that unless you are blind anyone can see skin color........ what is the point, who actually gives a shit?

No kidding... next time you see him speaking, check out the ever present "smirk," as if to say, "I know I can say anything to you morons, and you'll believe it... man I'm cool."