PDA

View Full Version : And the Global-Warming hits just keep on coming.....

Little-Acorn
03-18-2008, 04:53 PM
Some people say the Democrats and their standard-bearer Al Gore, when they declared the earth is warming and will be ruined by high temperatures within a decade or two, had never made such a poor prediction in living memory.

Personally I don't think that's true.

--------------------------

http://malaysia.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20080318/twl-uk-quebec-snow-bd5ae06.html

Quebec children get holiday as snow piles on roofs

Reuters - Tuesday, March 18

MONTREAL - Several dozen schools were expected to remain shut this week in the Canadian province of Quebec over fears their roofs may collapse under the weight of near record amounts of snow, officials said on Monday.

Administrators at Montreal's French-language school board said only 73 of the roughly 200 schools shut since Friday will reopen on Tuesday.

Some of the others may not open until after the four-day Easter weekend, which begins Friday.

"The objective, of course, is to open the maximum of schools but at the same time to proceed carefully because we want there to be zero risk," school board president Diane de Courcy told reporters.

All told, 90,000 students have been out of school in the Montreal area since Friday.

Primary and secondary schools and adult education centres will reopen only once their roofs have been cleared of snow and the buildings have been inspected for structural safety, de Courcy said.

Four people have been killed in the mainly French-speaking Canadian province of 7.6 million after roofs collapsed under the weight of accumulated snow, though none of the incidents involved schools.

In Shawinigan, about 150 kilometres northeast of Montreal, a 55-year-old man died on Saturday when the roof of his home collapsed.

Three women were killed in Morin Heights north of Montreal last Wednesday when part of a food warehouse roof caved in under the weight of snow.

To date, some 350 centimetres of snow has fallen in the Montreal area, approaching a record level of 383 centimetres set in 1971.

diuretic
03-18-2008, 08:17 PM
I need to make a macro:

"It's global climate change".

Gadget (fmr Marine)
03-19-2008, 10:37 AM
I need to make a macro:

"It's global climate change".

You mean the climate changes around the globe.....on some sort of time scale? Wow! Now that is something I can get alarmed about.....WTF???????

WTF does "Global Climate Change" mean?

Aren't you really looking for something like, "Conservative Americans cause the earth's environment to suffer?"

Maybe you should get with the other climate nutz and get a better slogan......

diuretic
03-19-2008, 07:06 PM
You mean the climate changes around the globe.....on some sort of time scale? Wow! Now that is something I can get alarmed about.....WTF???????

WTF does "Global Climate Change" mean?

Aren't you really looking for something like, "Conservative Americans cause the earth's environment to suffer?"

Maybe you should get with the other climate nutz and get a better slogan......

Now that was an interesting response :laugh2:

April15
03-19-2008, 07:11 PM
NASA released today the latest info on Arctic ice loss. I read it in the Washington post. Now if I can just find it on their site.

April15
03-19-2008, 07:14 PM
NASA released today the latest info on Arctic ice loss. I read it in the Washington post. Now if I can just find it on their site.

Perennial Arctic Ice Cover Diminishing, Officials Say
The amount of long-lasting sea ice in the Arctic -- thick enough to survive for as much as a decade -- declined sharply in the past year, even though the region had a cold winter and the thinner one-year ice cover grew substantially, federal officials said yesterday.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/linkset/2006/05/03/LI2006050300853.html?hpid=partnersites

gpp111
04-28-2010, 04:11 PM
The Arctic ice is actually thicker in April 2010 than it was in April 2008 according to the University of Illinois Cyrosphere. Thicker ice means that there should be more ice than last year when the maximum melt is reached in mid September.

SpidermanTUba
04-28-2010, 09:09 PM
Some people say the Democrats and their standard-bearer Al Gore, when they declared the earth is warming and will be ruined by high temperatures within a decade or two, had never made such a poor prediction in living memory.

Personally I don't think that's true.

--------------------------

http://malaysia.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20080318/twl-uk-quebec-snow-bd5ae06.html

Quebec children get holiday as snow piles on roofs

Reuters - Tuesday, March 18

MONTREAL - Several dozen schools were expected to remain shut this week in the Canadian province of Quebec over fears their roofs may collapse under the weight of near record amounts of snow, officials said on Monday.

Administrators at Montreal's French-language school board said only 73 of the roughly 200 schools shut since Friday will reopen on Tuesday.

Some of the others may not open until after the four-day Easter weekend, which begins Friday.

"The objective, of course, is to open the maximum of schools but at the same time to proceed carefully because we want there to be zero risk," school board president Diane de Courcy told reporters.

All told, 90,000 students have been out of school in the Montreal area since Friday.

Primary and secondary schools and adult education centres will reopen only once their roofs have been cleared of snow and the buildings have been inspected for structural safety, de Courcy said.

Four people have been killed in the mainly French-speaking Canadian province of 7.6 million after roofs collapsed under the weight of accumulated snow, though none of the incidents involved schools.

In Shawinigan, about 150 kilometres northeast of Montreal, a 55-year-old man died on Saturday when the roof of his home collapsed.

Three women were killed in Morin Heights north of Montreal last Wednesday when part of a food warehouse roof caved in under the weight of snow.

To date, some 350 centimetres of snow has fallen in the Montreal area, approaching a record level of 383 centimetres set in 1971.

You must be confused. Global "warming" is about increases in "temperature" - not precipitation.