PDA

View Full Version : Virginia General Assembly Passes Resolution Expressing 'Profound Regret' for State's

stephanie
02-25-2007, 01:40 AM
Role in Slavery....

:poke: Saturday, February 24, 2007

RICHMOND, Va. — Meeting on the grounds of the former Confederate Capitol, the Virginia General Assembly voted unanimously Saturday to express "profound regret" for the state's role in slavery.

Sponsors of the resolution say they know of no other state that has apologized for slavery, although Missouri lawmakers are considering such a measure. The resolution does not carry the weight of law but sends an important symbolic message, supporters said.

"This session will be remembered for a lot of things, but 20 years hence I suspect one of those things will be the fact that we came together and passed this resolution," said Delegate A. Donald McEachin, a Democrat who sponsored it in the House of Delegates.

The resolution passed the House 96-0 and cleared the 40-member Senate on a unanimous voice vote. It does not require Gov. Timothy M. Kaine's approval.

The measure also expressed regret for "the exploitation of Native Americans."

The resolution was introduced as Virginia begins its celebration of the 400th anniversary of Jamestown, where the first Africans arrived in 1619. Richmond, home to a popular boulevard lined with statues of Confederate heroes, later became another point of arrival for Africans and a slave-trade hub.

The resolution says government-sanctioned slavery "ranks as the most horrendous of all depredations of human rights and violations of our founding ideals in our nation's history, and the abolition of slavery was followed by systematic discrimination, enforced segregation, and other insidious institutions and practices toward Americans of African descent that were rooted in racism, racial bias, and racial misunderstanding."

In Virginia, black voter turnout was suppressed with a poll tax and literacy tests before those practices were struck down by federal courts, and state leaders responded to federally ordered school desegregation with a "Massive Resistance" movement in the 1950s and early '60s. Some communities created exclusive whites-only schools.

The apology is the latest in a series of strides Virginia has made in overcoming its segregationist past. Virginia was the first state to elect a black governor — L. Douglas Wilder in 1989 — and the Legislature took a step toward atoning for Massive Resistance in 2004 by creating a scholarship fund for blacks whose schools were shut down between 1954 and 1964.

Among those voting for the measure was Delegate Frank D. Hargrove, an 80-year-old Republican who infuriated black leaders last month by saying "black citizens should get over" slavery.

After enduring a barrage of criticism, Hargrove successfully co-sponsored a resolution calling on Virginia to celebrate "Juneteenth," a holiday commemorating the end of slavery in the United States.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,254400,00.html

Gunny
02-25-2007, 09:41 AM
Role in Slavery....

:poke: Saturday, February 24, 2007

RICHMOND, Va. — Meeting on the grounds of the former Confederate Capitol, the Virginia General Assembly voted unanimously Saturday to express "profound regret" for the state's role in slavery.

Sponsors of the resolution say they know of no other state that has apologized for slavery, although Missouri lawmakers are considering such a measure. The resolution does not carry the weight of law but sends an important symbolic message, supporters said.

"This session will be remembered for a lot of things, but 20 years hence I suspect one of those things will be the fact that we came together and passed this resolution," said Delegate A. Donald McEachin, a Democrat who sponsored it in the House of Delegates.

The resolution passed the House 96-0 and cleared the 40-member Senate on a unanimous voice vote. It does not require Gov. Timothy M. Kaine's approval.

The measure also expressed regret for "the exploitation of Native Americans."

The resolution was introduced as Virginia begins its celebration of the 400th anniversary of Jamestown, where the first Africans arrived in 1619. Richmond, home to a popular boulevard lined with statues of Confederate heroes, later became another point of arrival for Africans and a slave-trade hub.

The resolution says government-sanctioned slavery "ranks as the most horrendous of all depredations of human rights and violations of our founding ideals in our nation's history, and the abolition of slavery was followed by systematic discrimination, enforced segregation, and other insidious institutions and practices toward Americans of African descent that were rooted in racism, racial bias, and racial misunderstanding."

In Virginia, black voter turnout was suppressed with a poll tax and literacy tests before those practices were struck down by federal courts, and state leaders responded to federally ordered school desegregation with a "Massive Resistance" movement in the 1950s and early '60s. Some communities created exclusive whites-only schools.

The apology is the latest in a series of strides Virginia has made in overcoming its segregationist past. Virginia was the first state to elect a black governor — L. Douglas Wilder in 1989 — and the Legislature took a step toward atoning for Massive Resistance in 2004 by creating a scholarship fund for blacks whose schools were shut down between 1954 and 1964.

Among those voting for the measure was Delegate Frank D. Hargrove, an 80-year-old Republican who infuriated black leaders last month by saying "black citizens should get over" slavery.

After enduring a barrage of criticism, Hargrove successfully co-sponsored a resolution calling on Virginia to celebrate "Juneteenth," a holiday commemorating the end of slavery in the United States.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,254400,00.html

This kind of apologist crap is bull. Who really gives a rat's ass besides those trying to turn blame into cash in the form of "reparations?"

Show me a living former slave and I will agree that all living, former slaveowners owe that person something. Otherwise, slavery was abolished in the US 142 years ago. If 14 generations later can't get their heads-n-asses wired together and move on, screw 'em.

02-25-2007, 10:52 AM
who are they apologizing to? its not like any slaves are still alive. Im so tired of this "Lets apologize" crap

Gunny
02-25-2007, 11:03 AM
who are they apologizing to? its not like any slaves are still alive. Im so tired of this "Lets apologize" crap

Oh, but the "our ancestors were slaves so you owe us" crowd is a BIG lobby in Virginia. They are determined that whitey owes them and has to pay.

musicman
02-25-2007, 11:04 AM
This is the greatest country on Earth. Whatever got you here - be glad.

Gunny
02-25-2007, 11:26 AM
This is the greatest country on Earth. Whatever got you here - be glad.

Here's a solution I offered to be part of ... Don't like it hear? Want to go back where your ancestors came from? I'm willing to do my part. I will pay for one, one-way ticket.

Shut the Hell up or get the Hell out.

musicman
02-25-2007, 11:29 AM
Here's a solution I offered to be part of ... Don't like it hear? Want to go back where your ancestors came from? I'm willing to do my part. I will pay for one, one-way ticket.

Shut the Hell up or get the Hell out.

Count me in, dollar for dollar.

Dilloduck
02-25-2007, 11:35 AM
Every member of the Viginia General Assembly now needs to liquididate all of thier OWN assets and donate it to AIDS relief in Africa and work as slaves for any black family of thier choosing. Let's see how sorry they really are.

musicman
02-25-2007, 11:38 AM
Every member of the Viginia General Assembly now needs to liquididate all of thier OWN assets and donate it to AIDS relief in Africa and work as slaves for any black family of thier choosing. Let's see how sorry they really are.

The next sound you hear will be crickets chirping in Virginia. "Oh - you want SUBSTANCE??!! My, oh, my - would you look at the time! Gotta go!"

5stringJeff
02-25-2007, 05:19 PM
I've said it before (actually, I stole this idea from Gunny): Let every living slaveowner pay reparations to every living former slave.