PDA

View Full Version : Some words from the son of a religious right leader

truthmatters
03-18-2008, 07:53 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/frank-schaeffer/obamas-minister-committe_b_91774.html

When Senator Obama's preacher thundered about racism and injustice Obama suffered smear-by-association. But when my late father -- Religious Right leader Francis Schaeffer -- denounced America and even called for the violent overthrow of the US government, he was invited to lunch with presidents Ford, Reagan and Bush, Sr.

Every Sunday thousands of right wing white preachers (following in my father's footsteps) rail against America's sins from tens of thousands of pulpits. They tell us that America is complicit in the "murder of the unborn," has become "Sodom" by coddling gays, and that our public schools are sinful places full of evolutionists and sex educators hell-bent on corrupting children. They say, as my dad often did, that we are, "under the judgment of God." They call America evil and warn of immanent destruction. By comparison Obama's minister's shouted "controversial" comments were mild. All he said was that God should damn America for our racism and violence and that no one had ever used the N-word about Hillary Clinton.

MtnBiker
03-18-2008, 07:55 PM
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:APAMiYld1e5RyM:http://www.unretouchedphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/strawgirl.jpg

manu1959
03-18-2008, 07:58 PM
so obama is no better than bush I, bush II and reagan....

truthmatters
03-18-2008, 08:02 PM
well Obama did denounce the words of hate.

That does make him different.

manu1959
03-18-2008, 08:05 PM

he still belongs to the church......he made excuses for the man's comments..... and worst of all threw his grandma under the bus as a racist.....

MtnBiker
03-18-2008, 10:18 PM

Out of political necessity, he could have years ago and choose not to. Obama seeks and advocates change, he should have the courage and ask his own pastor to change from words of hate.

Kathianne
03-18-2008, 10:33 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/frank-schaeffer/obamas-minister-committe_b_91774.html

When Senator Obama's preacher thundered about racism and injustice Obama suffered smear-by-association. But when my late father -- Religious Right leader Francis Schaeffer -- denounced America and even called for the violent overthrow of the US government, he was invited to lunch with presidents Ford, Reagan and Bush, Sr.

Every Sunday thousands of right wing white preachers (following in my father's footsteps) rail against America's sins from tens of thousands of pulpits. They tell us that America is complicit in the "murder of the unborn," has become "Sodom" by coddling gays, and that our public schools are sinful places full of evolutionists and sex educators hell-bent on corrupting children. They say, as my dad often did, that we are, "under the judgment of God." They call America evil and warn of immanent destruction. By comparison Obama's minister's shouted "controversial" comments were mild. All he said was that God should damn America for our racism and violence and that no one had ever used the N-word about Hillary Clinton.

You do have a problem with quotes or at least an 'indent'. It seems sometimes that you are trying to leave the impression you are writing first person, when if fact you are ascribing words to another. It's difficult to follow, structurally.

Mr. P
03-18-2008, 10:38 PM
You do have a problem with quotes or at least an 'indent'. It seems sometimes that you are trying to leave the impression you are writing first person, when if fact you are ascribing words to another. It's difficult to follow, structurally.

Worse, she doesn't see that what she posts really doesn't support her position.

Makes me laugh a lot though. I know it's wrong to laugh at the handicapped, I just can't help it.

gabosaurus
03-18-2008, 11:01 PM
so obama is no better than bush I, bush II and reagan....

He can't get much worse.

Kathianne
03-18-2008, 11:09 PM
He can't get much worse.

Be careful what you wish for, history starts now.

PostmodernProphet
03-19-2008, 05:39 AM
He can't get much worse.

but then the issue is.....is he worse than McCain......and before that, is he worse than Hillary......

Abbey Marie
03-19-2008, 03:36 PM
I absolutely challenge this person's statement that "thousands of right wing white preachers" speak this way (Btw, what a subtly perjorative sentence to begin with). I've been to many Catholic and Protestant churches, as have my husband, parents, and brothers, and never have any of us known a pastor who speaks like this. If these issues are even brought up, it is in the context of prayer, not condemnation or revolution.

Kathianne
03-19-2008, 03:43 PM
I absolutely challenge this person's statement that "thousands of right wing white preachers" speak this way (Btw, what a subtly perjorative sentence to begin with). I've been to many Catholic and Protestant churches, as has my husband, parents, and brothers, and never have any of us known a pastor who speaks like this. If these issues are even brought up., it is in the context of prayer, not condemnation or revolution.

Me either. I remember over 40 years ago at about 7, attending a Presbyterian church with a friend. The minister prayed that Catholics would give up their icon worship and some other stuff; I didn't know what he was talking about; but my friends parents, (her father and grandfather built the church), got us up and out. They came into my house and told my parents what had happened and were apologizing and apologizing. My parents were like, 'It's not your fault, don't worry about it.'

Seems they did more than worry, the pastor was removed, my parents got a written apology from the new pastor with an invitation to my brother and I to attend Vacation Bible School that summer. We did, no problems. The 60's were a time of change for most.

03-19-2008, 08:36 PM
I absolutely challenge this person's statement that "thousands of right wing white preachers" speak this way (Btw, what a subtly perjorative sentence to begin with). I've been to many Catholic and Protestant churches, as have my husband, parents, and brothers, and never have any of us known a pastor who speaks like this. If these issues are even brought up, it is in the context of prayer, not condemnation or revolution.

I've never even been to a church that mentions politics other than to say do your civic duty and vote your conscience.

Abbey Marie
03-19-2008, 09:59 PM
I've never even been to a church that mentions politics other than to say do your civic duty and vote your conscience.

It's just a feeble attempt to deflect Rev. Wrong's racist tin foil rants, by trying to spread the guilt.