PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Obama’s Profile in Courage

stephanie
03-19-2008, 12:55 AM
:laugh2::puke:

Published: March 19, 2008
There are moments — increasingly rare in risk-abhorrent modern campaigns — when politicians are called upon to bare their fundamental beliefs. In the best of these moments, the speaker does not just salve the current political wound, but also illuminates larger, troubling issues that the nation is wrestling with.

»Inaugural addresses by Abraham Lincoln and Franklin D. Roosevelt come to mind, as does John F. Kennedy’s 1960 speech on religion, with its enduring vision of the separation between church and state. Senator Barack Obama, who has not faced such tests of character this year, faced one on Tuesday. It is hard to imagine how he could have handled it better.

Mr. Obama had to address race and religion, the two most toxic subjects in politics. He was as powerful and frank as Mitt Romney was weak and calculating earlier this year in his attempt to persuade the religious right that his Mormonism is Christian enough for them.

It was not a moment to which Mr. Obama came easily. He hesitated uncomfortably long in dealing with the controversial remarks of his spiritual mentor and former pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah A. Wright Jr., who denounced the United States as endemically racist, murderous and corrupt.

On Tuesday, Mr. Obama drew a bright line between his religious connection with Mr. Wright, which should be none of the voters’ business, and having a political connection, which would be very much their business. The distinction seems especially urgent after seven years of a president who has worked to blur the line between church and state.

read the rest if you can stomach it..
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/19/opinion/19wed1.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

stephanie
03-19-2008, 03:00 AM
:laugh2::bow2:

By Courtland Milloy
Wednesday, March 19, 2008; Page B01

Before Barack Obama took to the podium yesterday, I was pretty angry at how slimy the presidential campaign had become. And my plan was to write a screed about those whites who want Obama to "transcend race" while they get to hold on to their racist ways.

In the latest episode, inflammatory snippets of sermons by Obama's former pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright of the Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago, had been fashioned into a political bombshell by Obama's opponents. Right-wing TV commentators then detonated it with ignorant vitriol, including an insinuation by Pat Buchanan that Wright was a black David Duke, the former leader of the white terrorist organization known as the Ku Klux Klan, and that Obama was the disciple of a hateful man.

I could go on and on.

Then Obama spoke, and I had a mind-altering experience. After hearing him deliver what was essentially a treatise on faith, hope and charity, I no longer wanted to risk getting stuck in a racial tar pit with Buchanan or any of the others. I just wanted to hop on that Obama bandwagon and head for new America.

The desire to rise up out of the racial muck was intensified with every conversation I had about the speech.

read the rest and comments...:poke:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/18/AR2008031802918.html

stephanie
03-19-2008, 03:17 AM
I'm "almost" starting to feel bad for the Hillary..

The media and the liberals have dumped her faster than I can wink...

Where's the loyalty??:laugh2:

stephanie
03-19-2008, 04:09 AM
:thewave:

The Speech
18 Mar 2008 11:32 am

Alas, I cannot give a more considered response right now as I have to get on the road. But I do want to say that this searing, nuanced, gut-wrenching, loyal, and deeply, deeply Christian speech is the most honest speech on race in America in my adult lifetime. It is a speech we have all been waiting for for a generation. Its ability to embrace both the legitimate fears and resentments of whites and the understandable anger and dashed hopes of many blacks was, in my view, unique in recent American history.

And it was a reflection of faith - deep, hopeful, transcending faith in the promises of the Gospels. And it was about America - its unique promise, its historic purpose, and our duty to take up the burden to perfect this union - today, in our time, in our way.

I have never felt more convinced that this man's candidacy - not this man, his candidacy - and what he can bring us to achieve - is an historic opportunity. This was a testing; and he did not merely pass it by uttering safe bromides. He addressed the intimate, painful love he has for an imperfect and sometimes embittered man. And how that love enables him to see that man's faults and pain as well as his promise. This is what my faith is about. It is what the Gospels are about. This is a candidate who does not merely speak as a Christian. He acts like a Christian.

Bill Clinton once said that everything bad in America can be rectified by what is good in America. He was right - and Obama takes that to a new level. And does it with the deepest darkest wound in this country's history.

I love this country. I don't remember loving it or hoping more from it than today.

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2008/03/the-speech.html

stephanie
03-19-2008, 04:23 AM
Chrissy Matthews gets another tingle up his leg... and can't control his spittle talking about the NEW messiah ..:laugh2:

http://en.sevenload.com/videos/PZuARw3/matthews-race

stephanie
03-19-2008, 04:36 AM
]I decided to consolidate all the articles of love for the Obambam after"THE SERMON" so I wouldn't take up so much space on the board...

Those are just a few I found......

scuse me now.....I gotta go get sick...:coffee::cheers2:

Classact
03-19-2008, 06:53 AM
I watched all the news channels I get here yesterday following the sermon that include CNN, Fox news and MSNBC... all stations were poking holes in the speech... On Hardball the dickhead was feeling sorry for Obama but the guests unanimously were beating up on Obama's judgment... On CNN Wolf and Glenn Beck crucified Obama along with their guests... On Fox all reports were finding shortcomings on Obama's speech... Then just before going to bed I turned on CNN and MSNBC late news and they were describing Obama as Kennedy and Abe Lincoln....

If you notice today is the anniversary of the re-start of hostilities in Iraq, the 5th anniversary so the timing was to change the subject since all channels will be reporting on the war today... and, guess what Obama will give another speech today to change the subject...

It will not die by using timing and complements so Obama and his left wing supporters better hold their breath if they think it is over with Obama - and his Tasmanian Rev. Wright...