PDA

View Full Version : SC troopers used cars to ram on foot suspects

LiberalNation
03-19-2008, 07:58 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080320/ap_on_re_us/trooper_aggression_videos;_ylt=Auf8u0kqJuD2RnHR3q2 sXqis0NUE

COLUMBIA, S.C. - Videos have surfaced showing two members of the South Carolina Highway Patrol using their cruisers to ram fleeing suspects, just weeks after two leaders of the agency resigned because of a furor over a trooper's use of a racial slur.

In one of the two new dash-cam videos, which were first reported Wednesday by The Post and Courier of Charleston, Lance Cpl. Steven C. Garren drives after a man on foot, striking him when he crosses in front of Garren's cruiser. The man flips over the car's hood and into high grass on the roadside.

"Yeah, I hit him. I was trying to hit him," Garren, who is white, can be heard telling another trooper.

In the other, Lance Cpl. Alexander Richardson drives between apartment buildings, on sidewalks and past onlookers in an attempt to run down a suspect. After about a minute, Richardson's car bumps the man, who grabs the vehicle in an attempt to steady himself. The man doesn't fall and takes off running again.

Dilloduck
03-19-2008, 08:03 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080320/ap_on_re_us/trooper_aggression_videos;_ylt=Auf8u0kqJuD2RnHR3q2 sXqis0NUE

COLUMBIA, S.C. - Videos have surfaced showing two members of the South Carolina Highway Patrol using their cruisers to ram fleeing suspects, just weeks after two leaders of the agency resigned because of a furor over a trooper's use of a racial slur.

In one of the two new dash-cam videos, which were first reported Wednesday by The Post and Courier of Charleston, Lance Cpl. Steven C. Garren drives after a man on foot, striking him when he crosses in front of Garren's cruiser. The man flips over the car's hood and into high grass on the roadside.

"Yeah, I hit him. I was trying to hit him," Garren, who is white, can be heard telling another trooper.

In the other, Lance Cpl. Alexander Richardson drives between apartment buildings, on sidewalks and past onlookers in an attempt to run down a suspect. After about a minute, Richardson's car bumps the man, who grabs the vehicle in an attempt to steady himself. The man doesn't fall and takes off running again.

So what ?

LiberalNation
03-19-2008, 08:05 PM
So cops should be able to run over people who flee from them. Why not just shoot them, then. Their have to be some standards.

Dilloduck
03-19-2008, 08:07 PM
So cops should be able to run over people who flee from them. Why not just shoot them, then. Their have to be some standards.

Shooting is fine with me too---shooting it is then !

LiberalNation
03-19-2008, 08:09 PM
Cuz clearly cops should be judge, jury, and exacutioner.

Dilloduck
03-19-2008, 08:11 PM
Cuz clearly cops should be judge, jury, and exacutioner.

People shouldn't run away when a policeman tells them to stop.

diuretic
03-20-2008, 03:05 AM
I don't know what the rules are in the US but depending on the circumstances it could be reasonable force. If it's not reasonable force then those Troopers will find life uncomfortable.

Dilloduck
03-20-2008, 06:34 AM
I don't know what the rules are in the US but depending on the circumstances it could be reasonable force. If it's not reasonable force then those Troopers will find life uncomfortable.

Lord knows we need to give lawbreakers a fair chance to do everything within their power to escape prosecution.

Monkeybone
03-20-2008, 07:17 AM
they are not running them over..they are bumping them. there is a difference. plus it is easier to catch a runner with a car.

Dilloduck
03-20-2008, 07:19 AM
they are not running them over..they are bumping them. there is a difference. plus it is easier to catch a runner with a car.

I like the idea of tranquilizer darts.

gabosaurus
03-20-2008, 08:47 AM
First of all, I will express the same opinion to LN that I say to the rest of DP:
Why use one corrupt example of police brutality to downgrade all law authority? Not that DP is not full of one-off "hit" threads trying to express a one-sided point.
If you read the source article, you learn that South Carolina has a long history of corruption and racial hatred in the state highway patrol. This is only the latest example.

http://www.charleston.net/news/2008/mar/19/new_trooper_videos_draw_ire34256/

How about the kids on the playground? Were they trying to "bump" them as well?

Monkeybone
03-20-2008, 08:51 AM
the guy that drove past the kids, i would punish him for endangering them. no suspect is worth risking kids.

gabosaurus
03-20-2008, 08:54 AM
I don't in any way endorse running from police. I think those who flee police should get what is coming to them.
But chasing down people for sport, and visibly/audibly enjoying the chase, is beyond sick. These troopers are hardly fit to be human beings, much less police officers.

Monkeybone
03-20-2008, 08:58 AM
true Gabs. and how do you know that it was for sport? and that they were enjoying it? maybe it was just the adrenaline talking? i've seen cops celebrate after running (on foot) a guy down and tackling him. yes it might be part of "the chase" mentality. but what else do you want them to say? "Oh..poor dear...so sorry"

gabosaurus
03-20-2008, 09:04 AM
Read the linked story. It tells you all you have to know.

Monkeybone
03-20-2008, 09:25 AM
i did. and these guys might have a prob, with their prior records then yah, something should be done.

not saying that all cops that hit guys with their cars do. i have seen it and sometimes they celebrate that they catch them. nothing else. if you were tha pumped on adrenaline you probably would too. but yah...guess it is just the area?and those guys.

gabosaurus
03-20-2008, 09:32 AM
i did. and these guys might have a prob, with their prior records then yah, something should be done.

not saying that all cops that hit guys with their cars do. i have seen it and sometimes they celebrate that they catch them. nothing else. if you were tha pumped on adrenaline you probably would too. but yah...guess it is just the area?and those guys.

I have to agree with you on this one. I caught the last part of a police chase in Los Angeles once. A police officer made a traffic stop and the perp took a shot at him. Then got in his car and drove away. The police blocked him in. Guy got out of his car and tried to bull over an officer to get away. The other officers took him down and beat the shit out of him.
Being a true liberal, I applauded their actions. :)

Trigg
03-20-2008, 01:11 PM
Chasing the guy through the appartment complex was irresponsible, he was going slow, but a little child could have run in front of the car.

As far as the other video. He bumped the guy running, the moral of the story is don't run from the cops.

Dilloduck
03-20-2008, 01:18 PM
First of all, I will express the same opinion to LN that I say to the rest of DP:
Why use one corrupt example of police brutality to downgrade all law authority? Not that DP is not full of one-off "hit" threads trying to express a one-sided point.
If you read the source article, you learn that South Carolina has a long history of corruption and racial hatred in the state highway patrol. This is only the latest example.

http://www.charleston.net/news/2008/mar/19/new_trooper_videos_draw_ire34256/

How about the kids on the playground? Were they trying to "bump" them as well?

You not ok with one individual's behavior to judge the whole but you're ok with strories that don't aggressively seek and express the story from the policemen's point of view ?

Nukeman
03-20-2008, 01:20 PM
But don't we have to get in their heads and find out WHY they don't listen to the police??? I mean after all we should be looking into why they have the fear and hatred of the police in the first place shouldn't we. Than maybe we can understand why they ran........ I mean after all it couldn't possible be because they are *gasp* guilty!!!!!!!!!

Ok sarcasm is now off!!!!!!!!!!1

Dilloduck
03-20-2008, 01:36 PM
But don't we have to get in their heads and find out WHY they don't listen to the police??? I mean after all we should be looking into why they have the fear and hatred of the police in the first place shouldn't we. Than maybe we can understand why they ran........ I mean after all it couldn't possible be because they are *gasp* guilty!!!!!!!!!

Ok sarcasm is now off!!!!!!!!!!1

Even if they are guilty ther still deserve a fair chance to get away with it. hmmm--project head start maybe. :laugh2:

diuretic
03-20-2008, 09:05 PM
Lord knows we need to give lawbreakers a fair chance to do everything within their power to escape prosecution.

Did I make that point? No. So, let me ask you, do you think the police should be allowed to do whatever it takes to get the job done?

diuretic
03-20-2008, 09:07 PM
true Gabs. and how do you know that it was for sport? and that they were enjoying it? maybe it was just the adrenaline talking? i've seen cops celebrate after running (on foot) a guy down and tackling him. yes it might be part of "the chase" mentality. but what else do you want them to say? "Oh..poor dear...so sorry"

My response has usually been one of an adrenaline-fuelled need to beat the shit out of the offender.

LiberalNation
03-21-2008, 03:23 AM
Feds to look at SC Highway Patrol

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080320/ap_on_re_us/trooper_aggression_videos;_ylt=AkEw.SdeCW0f_VT9ZMY ehHNvzwcF

diuretic
03-21-2008, 04:18 AM
Feds to look at SC Highway Patrol

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080320/ap_on_re_us/trooper_aggression_videos;_ylt=AkEw.SdeCW0f_VT9ZMY ehHNvzwcF

They'll get a consent decree, I'll bet.

DragonStryk72
03-22-2008, 12:39 AM
Okay, I don't buy the "adrenaline" theory, since police are taught not to just be reacting like complete jackasses.

Yeah, sorry, I can't get behind the whole "hit them with a car" thing, that's just stupidly dangerous, and just asking for not only car accidents, but wrongful deaths. If they have to shoot, that's one thing, but seriously, this is just taking it a bit too far, and it endangers public safety.

And the prick who drove through the playground needs to be stripped of badge, gun, and Driver's Lisence.

diuretic
03-22-2008, 01:20 AM
Okay, I don't buy the "adrenaline" theory, since police are taught not to just be reacting like complete jackasses.

Yeah, sorry, I can't get behind the whole "hit them with a car" thing, that's just stupidly dangerous, and just asking for not only car accidents, but wrongful deaths. If they have to shoot, that's one thing, but seriously, this is just taking it a bit too far, and it endangers public safety.

And the prick who drove through the playground needs to be stripped of badge, gun, and Driver's Lisence.

I take it you've never been in a pursuit. If you had you would know the physical effects. I have been in many pursuits and I have felt the adrenaline dump and I have wanted to grab the little bastard who put lives at risk and wanted to rip his arse through his head. Fortunately for them and for me I controlled myself with the thought that it wasn't worth losing my job over a dickhead. :laugh2:

Missileman
03-22-2008, 09:03 AM
If a perp hits or tries to hit a cop with his car in order to get away, they are often charged with attempted murder because it's "deadly force". I don't think the cops have any more right to run a fleeing suspect down with a car than they do to fire a rocket launcher at a car that won't pull over.