PDA

View Full Version : Your vote counts dems --- not

Yurt
03-20-2008, 05:44 PM
Who will blink first in Obama-Clinton war of nerves?

WASHINGTON (AFP) - As they fight for every precious delegate, White House hopefuls Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton are trading shots on how to resolve the dilemma of Michigan and Florida, barred from the Democratic Party's nominating race.

It's a game of political chicken[wtf is political chicken???]," said Michigan University professor Mike Traugott, saying neither of the candidates wanted to be the first to give in.

Florida and Michigan were punished by the Democratic Party for violating its rules by holding their primaries too early. As a result, delegates from the two states will be absent from the party's August nominating contest in Denver.

But Clinton, who won both the primaries, has argued the Democratic voters of Florida and Michigan should not be disenfranchised, and has called for their votes to count.

On Wednesday she made an unscheduled stop in Michigan to press party leaders there to organize a new primary to help decide who will be the Democratic nominee in the November presidential elections.

"I will always defend your right to vote, no matter whom you choose to vote for in the end," she told a rally in Detroit.

"Senator Obama speaks passionately on the campaign trail about empowering the American people. Today I'm urging him to match those words with action."

But the Illinois senator, who is currently ahead in the all-important delegate stakes after a series of wins in the nation's primaries, appears to be playing for time.

He seems to want to avoid any new primaries, and his campaign has already raised a number of legal problems to dissuade Michigan authorities from holding a new ballot.

dems have no answer (http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080320/pl_afp/usvotedelegates)

gotta love the dem party

PostmodernProphet
03-20-2008, 07:10 PM
[wtf is political chicken???]

I expect the reference is to the game of 'chicken'.....played in the 50s by driving two souped up vehicles head on toward each other until one of the drivers chickened out and swerved......think of Russian Roulette with very large guns......now transfer the image to the political arena.....

glockmail
03-20-2008, 07:15 PM
This is the greatest political event in my lifetime. :laugh2: