PDA

View Full Version : New Study: U.S. States Suffer as They Become Biggest Corporate Taxers in the World

Mr. P
03-21-2008, 08:57 AM
Oh those greedy corps leaving the USA for cheap labor...yeah that's all there is to it...right!

I almost forgot we need to raise corp taxes!!!! Pleeeeese.

New Study: U.S. States Suffer as They Become Biggest Corporate Taxers in the World

Combined with federal tax, corporate income tax in most states is world's highest

WASHINGTON, Mar 18, 2008 - A new study from the Tax Foundation, a nonpartisan tax research group in Washington, shows that most American states tax job providers at a higher rate than any other country in the developed world.

"This is startling news for America's businesses and workers," said Tax Foundation president Scott Hodge, the study's author. "Tax competition for jobs and investment is fierce, and the U.S. continues to fall further and further behind. Our states should be the world's leaders in many things, but high taxation should not be one of them. The high federal corporate tax rate is literally crushing states' competitive abilities. That means fewer jobs for American workers."

Counting the federal rate alone, the U.S. has the world's highest corporate tax rate, but including average sub-national rates (federal plus state in the U.S.), Japan edges out the U.S. for the highest-tax location (see table).

This new study breaks the tax down state-by-state, adding each state's corporate tax rate to the federal corporate tax rate. The results show that 24 states impose, when combined with the federal rate, a higher business tax rate than in any other nation. In fact:

* 24 states have a combined corporate tax rate higher than top-ranked Japan.
* 32 states have a combined corporate tax rate higher than third-ranked Germany.
* 46 states have a combined corporate tax rate higher than fourth-ranked Canada.
* All 50 states have a combined corporate tax rate higher than fifth-ranked France.

http://www.taxfoundation.org/publications/show/23015.html

JohnDoe
03-21-2008, 09:51 AM
seems like they are working the numbers in their favor to try to make their point...

NOT ONE corporation pays 40% in taxes on their gross sales....or their gross income.

They pay taxes only on their PROFITS correct? That is after they have paid the rent, after they have paid employee benefits after they have paid all salaries after they have paid the cost of goods after they have paid all freight, after they have paid all ceo bonuses and employee bonuses, after they have paid all of their energy costs etc....after all of this comes out of their gross sales....they then have to pay the 35% federal corporate tax on the profits ALONE.....this could be just a 5% tax rate on their Sales gross.....?

I guess i THINK they should have gone in to the real tax rate they actually pay on their Sales verses the gross tax rate without explaining all the deductions they get to take BEFORE ever being subject to this rate....bringing it down to about a 5% tax rate of their total Company sales... they are making it look worse than what it is...

it is fine to tax them less if you are willing to tax us more...because that is the position we are in with the deficit spending congress has done and is doing....someone has to pay for what they have spent and are spending....

Personally, I would rather a tax cut come in our direction than to have to pay more taxes for a tax cut to go in their direction....they are not paying the tax anyway...the consumer is paying the tax when purchasing the product....it is like a sales tax the way it is now, those who buy the corporations products, pay the taxes for the product....the corps don't really pay a thing in taxes...

jd

Mr. P
03-21-2008, 10:53 AM
seems like they are working the numbers in their favor to try to make their point...

NOT ONE corporation pays 40% in taxes on their gross sales....or their gross income.

They pay taxes only on their PROFITS correct? That is after they have paid the rent, after they have paid employee benefits after they have paid all salaries after they have paid the cost of goods after they have paid all freight, after they have paid all ceo bonuses and employee bonuses, after they have paid all of their energy costs etc....after all of this comes out of their gross sales....they then have to pay the 35% federal corporate tax on the profits ALONE.....this could be just a 5% tax rate on their Sales gross.....?

I guess i THINK they should have gone in to the real tax rate they actually pay on their Sales verses the gross tax rate without explaining all the deductions they get to take BEFORE ever being subject to this rate....bringing it down to about a 5% tax rate of their total Company sales... they are making it look worse than what it is...

it is fine to tax them less if you are willing to tax us more...because that is the position we are in with the deficit spending congress has done and is doing....someone has to pay for what they have spent and are spending....

Personally, I would rather a tax cut come in our direction than to have to pay more taxes for a tax cut to go in their direction....they are not paying the tax anyway...the consumer is paying the tax when purchasing the product....it is like a sales tax the way it is now, those who buy the corporations products, pay the taxes for the product....the corps don't really pay a thing in taxes...

jd

*Michigan, Texas and Washington have gross receipts taxes rather than traditional corporate income taxes. For comparison purposes, we converted the gross receipts taxes into an effective CIT rate.

The chart shows 35% federal tax for every state. That's an average of ALL the corp tax brackets.

:bang3:

Hagbard Celine
03-21-2008, 10:55 AM
Well the war machine needs to get its funding from somewhere :dunno:

5stringJeff
03-21-2008, 07:06 PM
Holy crap. I always thought businesses were overtaxed, but not like that!

Mr. P
03-21-2008, 07:24 PM
Holy crap. I always thought businesses were overtaxed, but not like that!

Tis why I wanna choke every IDIOT I hear say "Corporations DON'T pay enough tax".

It does flow to us though, so it makes me even more angry when I hear "raise Corp TAXES"...Look DUMB ASS you're asking for a back door tax INCREASE ON YOU!

JohnDoe
03-21-2008, 08:42 PM
I found a great article on this today, after reading this post I did some googling because I really didn't know enough about this topic....not to the level that I would like to know....

I have worked for several corporations in my lifetime, but we had a finance dept that handled down to the tax level of business, I was involved with product and coming in to a "planned gross margin percent" for my area of business....the finance guys worried about the taxes....

but this has opened my eyes quite a bit on the subject and is a pretty good read....for even a novice in economics, such as myself! :)

http://www.econlib.org/Library/Enc/CorporateTaxation.html

jd

JohnDoe
03-21-2008, 08:45 PM
Mr P, glad we didn't own gold yet cuz of the drop the other day....

but is this the opportunity to buy? :D

btw, why can't you get in to a fund with your 401k that has some gold investment? That way avoid the penalty? I see them advertised on tv....?