PDA

View Full Version : Group Looks To Re-Create Bloody 1968 Chicago Democratic Convention In Denver

stephanie
03-21-2008, 06:23 PM
might get ugly..:popcorn:

Posted by Brian Montopoli| 16

Will Denver '08 bring up memories of Chicago '68?

It will if a group called Re-create 68 have anything to say about it. The group is promising "demonstrations that will rival those at the bloody 1968 Democratic convention in Chicago" at the August's Democratic National Convention in Denver, according to the Rocky Mountain News.

The Re-create 68 Alliance is upset that a permit for the Civic Center, a "spacious plaza" that "has been used for major public events and celebrations representing the diversity and cultural heritage of Colorado and Denver," according to the city of Denver's Web site, went to the Denver 2008 Convention Host Committee following a redraw for permits during the convention.

"When things blow up because the police have to enforce a permit that the Democrats got, don’t blame us for that," Glenn Spagnuolo, an organizer for the group, told the News.

The Host Committee points out that it is not the same as the Democratic National Committee, but Re-create 68 says Democrats are "trying to silence dissent in the city of Denver."

read the rest and comments.
http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2008/03/21/politics/horserace/entry3957522.shtml#ccmm

diuretic
03-21-2008, 08:02 PM
What's the point of it? I don't get it. The group I mean.

mundame
03-21-2008, 08:14 PM
What's the point of it? I don't get it. The group I mean.

Good question, diuretic.

The point of the 1968 protests in Chicago while the Convention was going on was to force the Convention to choose Eugene McCarthy. (I was there.) They chose Hubert Humphrey, however.

So...........what does this group? It has to have SOME aim.

Maybe to choose Obama if Hillary is ahead? But otherwise, there is no third-party peace candidate, so I don't know what these people are about, either.

hjmick
03-21-2008, 08:22 PM
Oh this could be a fun summer...

Trigg
03-21-2008, 09:51 PM
I"m just looking forward to the libs screaming at each other that Hillary/Obama (take your pick) stole the election.

Us Republicans will just sit back and watch the fireworks. :dance:

Although I suspect somehow it will all be Bush's fault, he's sneaky you know.:poke:

Dilloduck
03-21-2008, 10:00 PM
I"m just looking forward to the libs screaming at each other that Hillary/Obama (take your pick) stole the election.

Although I suspect somehow it will all be Bush's fault, he's sneaky you know.:poke:

If Obama blames whitey for his loss, things might get a bit unpleasant.

diuretic
03-21-2008, 10:11 PM
Good question, diuretic.

The point of the 1968 protests in Chicago while the Convention was going on was to force the Convention to choose Eugene McCarthy. (I was there.) They chose Hubert Humphrey, however.

So...........what does this group? It has to have SOME aim.

Maybe to choose Obama if Hillary is ahead? But otherwise, there is no third-party peace candidate, so I don't know what these people are about, either.

I remember the news reports here. "The whole world is watching". I was probably more interested in the Chicago Police response (brutal) and missed the subtlety of the reason for the pressure. But I was only 18 so I suppose the substance eluded me. Anyway I thought Humphrey was a pretty intelligent bloke.

Pale Rider
03-22-2008, 03:29 AM
Just imagine hussein is the dem nomination, and then he loses a close race to mccain. You think the blacks will riot in the streets? I do.

REDWHITEBLUE2
03-23-2008, 01:47 PM
Just imagine hussein is the dem nomination, and then he loses a close race to mccain. You think the blacks will riot in the streets? I do. and the police will use live ammo

OCA
03-23-2008, 06:59 PM
Just imagine hussein is the dem nomination, and then he loses a close race to mccain. You think the blacks will riot in the streets? I do.

Not going to happen. Osama has lost the White vote and with it any hope for the nomination. Hillary will get the nomination and wipe the floor with McCain's ass solely because McCain is a Repub and so is George Bush and this election will be all about voting against George Bush, and what party does he belong to? Thats, right (R).

Trigg
03-24-2008, 11:20 AM
Not going to happen. Osama has lost the White vote and with it any hope for the nomination. Hillary will get the nomination and wipe the floor with McCain's ass solely because McCain is a Repub and so is George Bush and this election will be all about voting against George Bush, and what party does he belong to? Thats, right (R).

Obama was up in the Gallop polls yesterday, this guy has more lives than a cat.

Hobbit
03-24-2008, 11:56 AM

Nah, they'll blame Limbaugh, and rightly so. After all...

OPERATION CHAOS!! (http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_031208/content/01125108.guest.html)