PDA

View Full Version : Why must they change something that was working?????

Trinity
03-21-2008, 06:41 PM
We live way out in the country and about a year ago we were finally able to get DSL through our phone company, of course the first three months were hell. The internet went down every night about 11pm and Dad would get up in the morning and call the tech's personal cell phone to have him go and flip the switch to reboot it, so we could have internet for the day.

Finally they get the problem fixed, for the most part, every once in awhile we would have an issue.

Well this past Tuesday the internet went down again, so I put in several calls to the phone company they send a guy out yesterday who informs me that they had switched from one system to another which is when my internet went out.

He tests my system and gets nothing so he puts in calls to the engineer and 5 different managers with no response from any of them. Go figure it's 5:00pm on Thursday evening and they are all off work the next day, where do you think there at?

So I was told they will get back on the problem Saturday and should hopefully have it back up and running, with any luck.

I have a class that I have a final assignment due tomorrow, and my youngest son has school work he has to do as well.

uuurrrggghhhhhhh

I HATE DIAL UP!!!!!!!

oh yeah and Gaffer is fit to be tied!!!

JohnDoe
03-21-2008, 07:14 PM
We live way out in the country and about a year ago we were finally able to get DSL through our phone company, of course the first three months were hell. The internet went down every night about 11pm and Dad would get up in the morning and call the tech's personal cell phone to have him go and flip the switch to reboot it, so we could have internet for the day.

Finally they get the problem fixed, for the most part, every once in awhile we would have an issue.

Well this past Tuesday the internet went down again, so I put in several calls to the phone company they send a guy out yesterday who informs me that they had switched from one system to another which is when my internet went out.

He tests my system and gets nothing so he puts in calls to the engineer and 5 different managers with no response from any of them. Go figure it's 5:00pm on Thursday evening and they are all off work the next day, where do you think there at?

So I was told they will get back on the problem Saturday and should hopefully have it back up and running, with any luck.

I have a class that I have a final assignment due tomorrow, and my youngest son has school work he has to do as well.

uuurrrggghhhhhhh

I HATE DIAL UP!!!!!!!

oh yeah and Gaffer is fit to be tied!!!

i deal with dial up EVERY SINGLE DAY......:(

but if you and gaffer need some sympathy....

those sob's, you'd think they'd have things figured out for all of their custmers before making any changes!!! :laugh2:

jd

Trinity
03-21-2008, 07:20 PM
i deal with dial up EVERY SINGLE DAY......:(

but if you and gaffer need some sympathy....

those sob's, you'd think they'd have things figured out for all of their custmers before making any changes!!! :laugh2:

jd

I can relate, I dealt with dial up for about 6 years due to country living and never complained. But when you do switch to DSL and then you have to go back to dial up it is pure torture!

JohnDoe
03-21-2008, 07:48 PM
I can relate, I dealt with dial up for about 6 years due to country living and never complained. But when you do switch to DSL and then you have to go back to dial up it is pure torture!ohhhhh, i know....i was in massachusetts, silicone valley of the east....i was in the g's on broadband speed....

we now live in the country,with acres of trees, no broadband of any kind!

PURE TORTURE, after having it! I can relate....it's been about a year now, and i am still dreaming about the good ole days of broadband and cursing aol out!

jd

diuretic
03-21-2008, 07:52 PM
Is satellite the answer? Here we have a big country with not much in it and people in the outback are very isolated (it used to be worse of course) and our federal government sees satellite as the answer to providing broadband internet because obviously the normal terrestrial infrastructure would be far too expensive to build.

JohnDoe
03-21-2008, 08:27 PM
Is satellite the answer? Here we have a big country with not much in it and people in the outback are very isolated (it used to be worse of course) and our federal government sees satellite as the answer to providing broadband internet because obviously the normal terrestrial infrastructure would be far too expensive to build.It's just too damn costly for satelite....I heard that Hughes network offers it here but to get any kind of decent broadband speed it is $79-$99 a month plus you have to buy the dish for $300 and then installation which they are offering a hundred dollar coupon off the price of that....but stillllllllllllll!

I paid only $29 bucks in massachusetts for very high speed broadband and I just can't stomach paying what hughes net is asking....and the write ups/reviews are absolutely horrible in my region from their customers....

Trinity
03-22-2008, 10:08 AM
It's just too damn costly for satelite....I heard that Hughes network offers it here but to get any kind of decent broadband speed it is $79-$99 a month plus you have to buy the dish for $300 and then installation which they are offering a hundred dollar coupon off the price of that....but stillllllllllllll!

I paid only $29 bucks in massachusetts for very high speed broadband and I just can't stomach paying what hughes net is asking....and the write ups/reviews are absolutely horrible in my region from their customers....

well let's put it this way........ I have a $300.00 satellite on my roof the modem is in the closet.

I paid about $80.00 a month and in all honesty it was a little faster then dial up, but not much, and if it rained, snowed, or got cloudy you could forget about getting online. I had it for about a year, then DSL became available to me. I called the satellite company and told them to stick it and switched.

Is it worth the cost NO!

But hey I'll sell ya a satellite and modem for $100.00 plus shipping. :laugh2:

Gaffer
03-27-2008, 12:45 PM
After nine days we finally have the DSL back. Believe me if another DSL becomes available out here I will drop the phone company so fast it will bounce them all out of their chairs. In fact if we can get a service that offers a phone connection I will drop the phone service too. They spent three days upgrading a system without testing to see if it would actually work and didn't even bother notifying their customers that they were doing it. Their phone reps were not informed of what was going on either. Real bunch of professional wizbangs working for that company.

The Reverend
03-27-2008, 01:15 PM
If cable becomes available then go that route. We dropped our phone company and now have telephone and internet through Charter (funny thing is that we have satellite for our tv LOL)
Cable is MUCH faster and much more reliable then DSL.

remie
03-27-2008, 02:16 PM
well let's put it this way........ I have a $300.00 satellite on my roof the modem is in the closet.

I paid about $80.00 a month and in all honesty it was a little faster then dial up, but not much, and if it rained, snowed, or got cloudy you could forget about getting online. I had it for about a year, then DSL became available to me. I called the satellite company and told them to stick it and switched.

Is it worth the cost NO!

Exactly the scenario I lived through. We still dont have DSL but we have wireless from town about 4 miles away. Much better than satellite but still not reliable as cable or DSL (when it works)

gabosaurus
03-27-2008, 03:11 PM
I feel your pain. Well, sort of.
We lived in a very old subdivision south of San Francisco. It was built way prior to the advent of the internet. PacBell told me that older subdivisions can't be wired for high speed, because they have too many new areas to do first. But they said it was coming "soon."
More than two years later, they were still making the same promise when we left.

Fast forward to now. Our new subdivision is not yet wired for high speed internet. PacBell says we are "in line." They recommended we go with cable. Which is buttfuck expensive. Especially if you don't watch TV that much.

The Reverend
03-27-2008, 03:21 PM
Cable expensive???

Hell we only pay like $80 a month for BOTH telephone and internet through our cable provider.
Now cable tv yeah that is expensive but you don't have to have cable tv to get cable internet.

PostmodernProphet
03-27-2008, 05:41 PM
Cable expensive???

Hell we only pay like $80 a month for BOTH telephone and internet through our cable provider.
Now cable tv yeah that is expensive but you don't have to have cable tv to get cable internet.

I have a package which gives me 5 megabyte cable, HD cable television and six movie channels for $113 a month.....

manu1959
03-27-2008, 05:46 PM
buy a wirless net work card......works just like a cell phone.....

The Reverend
03-27-2008, 06:01 PM
I have a package which gives me 5 megabyte cable, HD cable television and six movie channels for $113 a month.....
That's great, don't have that package here though. Besides I get phone and 5mg cable internet (Charter cable) and the America's Top 200 package (Dish Network) For $130 a month.

Pale Rider
03-27-2008, 06:40 PM
If cable becomes available then go that route. We dropped our phone company and now have telephone and internet through Charter (funny thing is that we have satellite for our tv LOL)
Cable is MUCH faster and much more reliable then DSL.

I have Charter high speed cable as well, with the expanded TV channel line up, no phone, and I pay right around $60 a month. I think it's a great deal, and if I had to use dial up, I think I'd just say screw it, I don't need the internet. Dial up is horrible.

The Reverend
03-27-2008, 06:49 PM
I have Charter high speed cable as well, with the expanded TV channel line up, no phone, and I pay right around $60 a month. I think it's a great deal, and if I had to use dial up, I think I'd just say screw it, I don't need the internet. Dial up is horrible.

Very much so.

JohnDoe
03-27-2008, 07:52 PM

Is it worth the cost NO!

ok, tell me the satelite model number and I will find out if it would work with hughes net and I might take ya up on the $100 bucks plus shipping!!!

I'm getting pretty desperate here....

What's sad is that I am sandwiched between two towns that have broadband...TWO, we are right in between the two...and Verizon said, "It AIN'T coming soon"....they don't even bother telling me that I'm on a list to get it These other 2 towns have Cable Broadband, Time Warner available to them also.... :( I'm 5 miles from either town's border!!!

I have paid that stupid tax/fee on my phone bill for 26 years now that is suppose to spread phone lines and internet connections to rural areas and am still paying the tax on my new phone bill here...YET THEY HAVE NO PLANS to ever get me broadband here.... what the hell has the fees that I've paid for this crap gone to... all these years?

anyway pm me with what info you have on the Satelite dish and modem trinity and i will see what I can find out....whether I could use them or not with this service here.

thanks

jd

Trinity
03-27-2008, 08:27 PM
That's great, don't have that package here though. Besides I get phone and 5mg cable internet (Charter cable) and the America's Top 200 package (Dish Network) For $130 a month.

We are stuck with Cincinnati bell for phone and DSL which is running about $60.00 a month and direct TV which runs about $90.00 a month of course that is everything but the movie channels. Country living for you.

Abbey Marie
03-27-2008, 08:31 PM
Gee, JD, we had Verizon (FIOS) ready to dig, and we sent them away!