PDA

View Full Version : Group Housing Project For PTSD Vets Runs Into Protests

NATO AIR
03-21-2008, 09:30 PM
- Media misreporting on the issue has citizens scared of crazed vets.
- Some people just don't care.. its not their war and not their problem.
- These vets have been abandoned by the Bush Admin and most in Congress... not nearly the kind of funding required for the VA, especially in treating PTSD as well as training PTSD counselors and setting up special incentives to psych students and others to choose such a career field...
- A mother who is trying to her fallen veteran's son memory by helping his comrades is vilified by some and ignored by most others.... a tragedy of immense proportions.
- One of the coolest places I've ever been to is at Camp Lejune where wounded and PTSD afflicted Marines live together for a number of months under the leadership of PTSD/wounded officers and senior NCO's... learning how to adapt and work together and independently to overcome their injuries (mental and physical).... these group home efforts work....

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/T/TRAUMATIZED_SOLDIERS_HOME?SITE=NCFAY&SECTION=HOME

Group Housing for Vets Raises Concerns

By SCOTT LINDLAW
Associated Press Writer

GUERNEVILLE, Calif. (AP) -- Merry Lane, a cul-de-sac shaded by redwoods in Sonoma County wine country, would seem a pleasant place to recover from the psychic wounds of war. Nadia McCaffrey's dream is to set up a group home there for veterans plagued by post-traumatic stress disorder.

But she is running into stiff resistance from the neighbors. They not only object to the brand-new structure itself, which looks like a four-story apartment house wedged amid their cabins, they are also worried that deranged veterans will move in.

At a community meeting in December, "one person was concerned that even firecrackers would set these people off," said Andrew Eckers, 54, who lives across the street.

McCaffrey, whose son was killed in Iraq in 2004, said she has tried to reassure the neighbors, but "they are afraid of it because they don't want to understand it."

Projects similar to McCaffrey's have cropped up in other communities across the country, with some also raising concerns from neighbors, in part because of the many news accounts of traumatized veterans committing suicide or murder.

Gaffer
03-27-2008, 11:01 AM
It's another case where I blame the media for demonizing the military. The neighbors should be more worried that the state would turn it into a halfway house for excons instead of worrying about returning soldiers.

rppearso
03-27-2008, 08:57 PM
It's another case where I blame the media for demonizing the military. The neighbors should be more worried that the state would turn it into a halfway house for excons instead of worrying about returning soldiers.

PTSD vets are people too and deserve help, demonizing the military is warranted but not people who need help.

Gaffer
03-27-2008, 09:21 PM
PTSD vets are people too and deserve help, demonizing the military is warranted but not people who need help.

Demonizing the military is demonizing the people who served in the military. The same people you say need help.

AFbombloader
03-29-2008, 10:38 PM

So I should be demonized? Why? Because I served and didn't wash out? Or remove myself from this traumatic, stressfull, unlivable life? None of us, PTSD or not disserve to be treated poorly asshole!
These CA people need to get a grip and help these soldiers out. I am so sick and tired of the "not in my neighborhood" attitude in all of the states today.

AF:salute:

rppearso
03-30-2008, 12:33 PM
So I should be demonized? Why? Because I served and didn't wash out? Or remove myself from this traumatic, stressfull, unlivable life? None of us, PTSD or not disserve to be treated poorly asshole!
These CA people need to get a grip and help these soldiers out. I am so sick and tired of the "not in my neighborhood" attitude in all of the states today.

Not nessicarily, there are alot of people in the military or out of the military that need help and we should help them. There are probably about 20-30% in the military that make the military shitty like it is and I even think we should help thoes people when they come to there sneses but not the corrupt system they have created

AFbombloader
03-30-2008, 04:05 PM

Not nessicarily, there are alot of people in the military or out of the military that need help and we should help them. There are probably about 20-30% in the military that make the military shitty like it is and I even think we should help thoes people when they come to there sneses but not the corrupt system they have created

Your own words. The rest just doesn't make any sense. Can you clarify what you wrote? Should the 20-30% be demonized? Or the 70-80%? Where do I fit in? Should I expect to be demonized?

rppearso
03-31-2008, 12:58 PM
Your own words. The rest just doesn't make any sense. Can you clarify what you wrote? Should the 20-30% be demonized? Or the 70-80%? Where do I fit in? Should I expect to be demonized?

The 20-30% are the ones who should be demonized because they are the ones activly making the military shitty, however, they are people too and when they are broken and living in the real world they should be helped as well but not while they are still in making the military a crappy place.