PDA

View Full Version : Easter and Food

Kathianne
03-22-2008, 02:05 PM
Some of you know that I've had some health issues of late. I'm having Easter tomorrow for 6. Usually I do a ham and hors d'oeuvers. Ok, in all honesty, my holiday menus are usually way over the top, healthwise. Yesterday I was going to go total diet approved, knowing that would not only be bland, but some might be hungry and having to go fast food after.

This morning I went to the doctor and all my numbers are doing much better, well except for one, but it's not related to this. So, here is my question, how does this 'menu' sound? It's 'heart healthy', though a tad high in sodium. Does it make you want to come to dinner? Why am I reminded of the dinner party post at http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.wordpress.com/ ?:

Appetizers:

Spinach Dip W/Veggies
Spicy Taco Dip with Baked Tortillas
Spring Rolls

Salad:

Curried Chicken Salad on Lettuce Bed

Entree:

Slow Cooker Pork Roast with Orange Cranberry Sauce
Asparagus with Lemon Sauce
Baked Potatoes with 'load your own'
Assortment of breads

Dessert:

Angel Food Cake With Tri-berry sauce
French Silk Pie
Lemon Meringue Pie

Beverages:

Wine, beer, soda, water, coffee, tea

jackass
03-22-2008, 02:23 PM
Im willing to come over!! :D

Kathianne
03-22-2008, 02:26 PM
Im willing to come over!! :D

Thank you! I'm about to go shopping for groceries. I figure I'll get the 'low fat' or 'low sodium' along with regular, for those without problems. On desserts the Angel Food and berries is to have an alternative to the others.

I'm skipping many of my normal things, for instance, 'deviled eggs.' I don't think they will be missed?

BTW, you wish to come up here, let me know, you and yours are welcome, but I'll need to buy more. ;)

Trinity
03-22-2008, 04:47 PM
Some of you know that I've had some health issues of late. I'm having Easter tomorrow for 6. Usually I do a ham and hors d'oeuvers. Ok, in all honesty, my holiday menus are usually way over the top, healthwise. Yesterday I was going to go total diet approved, knowing that would not only be bland, but some might be hungry and having to go fast food after.

This morning I went to the doctor and all my numbers are doing much better, well except for one, but it's not related to this. So, here is my question, how does this 'menu' sound? It's 'heart healthy', though a tad high in sodium. Does it make you want to come to dinner? Why am I reminded of the dinner party post at http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.wordpress.com/ ?:

Appetizers:

Spinach Dip W/Veggies
Spring Rolls

Salad:

Entree:

Assortment of breads

Dessert:

French Silk Pie
Lemon Meringue Pie

Beverages:

What times dinner? :coffee:

Kathianne
03-22-2008, 04:58 PM
What times dinner? :coffee:

Thanks. I'm not usually insecure, I've had the CEO of AT&T for dinner. ;). But always have made 'gourmet/down home' cooking. This 'healthy' cooking, well I like it, just not sure how it goes for holiday. I'm already thinking Christmas.

Mr. P
03-22-2008, 05:54 PM
Geeezzzz K, talk about short notice!:slap:

I'd have been happy to bring the 'deviled eggs' then there would be NO guilt or crime on your part...I'm bad, I know.

Kathianne
03-22-2008, 06:01 PM
Geeezzzz K, talk about short notice!:slap:

I'd have been happy to bring the 'deviled eggs' then there would be NO guilt or crime on your part...I'm bad, I know.

C'mon up, I'm sure my guests would be happy. :cheers2: I make the best prime rib or filet roast. Scalloped potatoes and dressing. Damn, all this heart healthy stuff, well I'm out of my element, but committed.

manu1959
03-22-2008, 06:20 PM

Appetizers:

Spinach Dip W/Veggies
Spring Rolls

Salad:

Entree:

Assortment of breads

Dessert:

French Silk Pie
Lemon Meringue Pie

Beverages:

sounds wonderful.........glad your health is looking up....:cheers2:

Kathianne
03-22-2008, 06:59 PM
Yeah, the heart is smiling. I'm happy the doc was cracking jokes too. For someone over the 1/2 century mark, gotta say it's been a ride.

jackass
03-23-2008, 10:05 AM
Thank you! I'm about to go shopping for groceries. I figure I'll get the 'low fat' or 'low sodium' along with regular, for those without problems. On desserts the Angel Food and berries is to have an alternative to the others.

I'm skipping many of my normal things, for instance, 'deviled eggs.' I don't think they will be missed?

BTW, you wish to come up here, let me know, you and yours are welcome, but I'll need to buy more. ;)

Thank you!! :D
Im sure your guests will love your meal. Let us know how it goes.

Kathianne
03-23-2008, 10:27 AM
Thank you!! :D
Im sure your guests will love your meal. Let us know how it goes.

I've got the crockpot going. Taco dip made. Chicken cubed for the salad, got to mix it together. Son just ran to get the frozen spinach I forgot yesterday. ;)

Got the angel food cake along with blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries. Key lime and lemon chiffon pies. I think my daughter is bringing a french silk, I'm sending that back home with her.:laugh2:

I picked up some artisan loaves of bread and dipping oil.

Looks like things will be fine. My son just came in with the rye bread round, which I wanted to put the spinach dip in. He had the bakery slice it. :laugh2:

5stringJeff
03-23-2008, 01:28 PM
Sounds good!

Kathianne
03-23-2008, 01:35 PM
Sounds good!

Thanks, let's hope it tastes good too! I just took the homemade tortilla chips out and tried one. They are good! Just three different types of tortilla, spray with Pam Olive Oil and grind Chipotle season over, use a pizza cutter to in fourths. Bake 400 for 7 min. No salt, no fats. :) I made a Taco dip to go with.

jackass
03-23-2008, 06:30 PM
My son just came in with the rye bread round, which I wanted to put the spinach dip in. He had the bakery slice it. :laugh2:

Oops!! :laugh2:

Kathianne
03-23-2008, 07:56 PM
Oops!! :laugh2:

:clap: Is it a male thing? What's so hard about a rye round?

jackass
03-24-2008, 01:44 PM
:clap: Is it a male thing? What's so hard about a rye round?

Im sure he did get a round rye...he just got it sliced.... :laugh2: