PDA

View Full Version : General Update on my life

darin
03-22-2008, 06:57 PM
Hi DP!

Well, a bit has happened, recently, in my life -thought I'd swing back by and update some of my friends here on the board.

The biggest news is: I'm moving. Me and my family are PCS'ing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permanent_Change_of_Station) From here in Western WA state at Fort Lewis, to Fort Rucker, Alabama this summer; I'll be there in about 6 weeks - the family will follow after the school year.

Scary for me - but it's a promotion of sorts, and I'm excited for the adventure. I hope we learn to love the sound of Helicopters, as we're moving to the Army Aviation School installation! We're trying to get ready for Bugs, Humidity, a slower pace of life, and bugs and humidity. :)

I don't recall anyone from down that way here on the board, but there are a few folk from the Atlanta area, iirc...not too far!

Kathianne
03-22-2008, 07:01 PM
Hi DP!

Well, a bit has happened, recently, in my life -thought I'd swing back by and update some of my friends here on the board.

The biggest news is: I'm moving. Me and my family are PCS'ing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permanent_Change_of_Station) From here in Western WA state at Fort Lewis, to Fort Rucker, Alabama this summer; I'll be there in about 6 weeks - the family will follow after the school year.

Scary for me - but it's a promotion of sorts, and I'm excited for the adventure. I hope we learn to love the sound of Helicopters, as we're moving to the Army Aviation School installation! We're trying to get ready for Bugs, Humidity, a slower pace of life, and bugs and humidity. :)

I don't recall anyone from down that way here on the board, but there are a few folk from therin, Atlanta area, iirc...not too far!
Darin, you've been missed! I wish the best for you and your family.

Mr. P
03-22-2008, 07:42 PM
Mother Rucker holds a special place in my heart. Behave!

I bought my first house in Dothan. Married there too.

The best Jeweler around is in Enterprise...100% honest honest guy!

Hey, please pay my respects to Ben (Merlin) when ya visit his grave site.

I miss Rucker!

MtnBiker
03-22-2008, 07:44 PM
Great to hear from you Darin. Good luck on the move and humidity and the bugs especially the chiggers (a harvest mite).

jimnyc
03-22-2008, 08:02 PM
Darin! Good to see you back here, buddy. I hope you'll come around more often and start posting again.

Best of luck on your impending move! You'll be living alongside the hillbillies who sleep with their relatives! LOL j/k

Wasn't Bobby Boucher from Alabama? Or was that Louisiana? (is there a difference really?)

Hope all is well with you and the family. (specially Mary!)

-Jim

Yurt
03-22-2008, 08:14 PM
My man DMP:

that is a change from the NW. still green though. glad for the promotion and trust the move will be positive for the family.

guess i'll have to stay at someone's place when next in seattle area :(

Abbey Marie
03-22-2008, 08:19 PM
Much closer!!!!

-Peas

:dance:

jackass
03-23-2008, 09:54 AM
Glad to hear from you Darin. From one recently displaced northerner to the south to another: Its a life changing experience!! :) Dont believe them when they call them Plametto bugs...they are still REALLY BIG cockroaches!! :eek:
Hope things go well with the move. Dont be a stranger around here anymore.

5stringJeff
03-23-2008, 01:26 PM
It's called LA: Lower Alabama. Beautiful part of the country. When I know where I'm landing, I'll let you know!

OCA
03-23-2008, 06:55 PM
Hi DP!

I don't recall anyone from down that way here on the board, but there are a few folk from the Atlanta area, iirc...not too far!

The humidity will make Mary's skin butter smooth...........................just tell her to stay away from all that stupid fried crap they eat down there.

Anyway good to hear from ya Darin.

manu1959
03-23-2008, 10:30 PM
hey buddy boy,

good to hear you and the family are well and doing well.....

have fun in bama.

cheers,

03-23-2008, 11:05 PM
what world we live in when darin can get a promotion;) just teasin bro. congrats. and hope to see you around more

darin
03-24-2008, 12:42 AM
Thanks folk - we're suffering mixed emotions...me in the same time zone as OCA?? :D

I'll be about 4 hours from you folk in Atlanta - so if I get up that way, I'll holler! :)

I feel southern already. :D

Monkeybone
03-24-2008, 07:23 AM
just start throwing ya'll in sentences D. and i don't know about ain't...we say it up here...atleast i do...

good to hear from ya though and congrats.

Nukeman
03-24-2008, 07:57 AM
Thanks folk - we're suffering mixed emotions...me in the same time zone as OCA?? :D

I'll be about 4 hours from you folk in Atlanta - so if I get up that way, I'll holler! :)

I feel southern already. :D

Darin,

I hope the move goes well for you. Listen to Monkey through a whole buch of ya all's in there and you will be fine. Get used to this as well "Ya all aint from around here are ya". You will get that a lot when first getting there. The directions will be a lot differnt as well you know go to where something "used" to be.. Any way good luck and keep in contact.

82Marine89
03-24-2008, 08:23 AM
Darin-

Good to know you're alive. Good luck with the PCS and stay safe.

JohnDoe
03-24-2008, 08:49 AM
Ahhhh Alabama, my state of birth and the birth of everyone of my relatives on my father's side....well, a couple live on the panhandle of Florida but just a hop, skip and a jump from Mobile....

you'll hate it! It is hotter than hell down there!!! NO KIDDING!!! Thus, me being in Maine!!!!

Outside of the heat negative.... expect alot of "Ya'll have a nice day now!" when shopping in stores!

GOOD to see that you are alive and all is well Darin...I was wondering what the heck was going on!

And good luck with your move....it's alot of hard work, and scarey to move to new places....tell Mary, if she hasn't used it for a year or forgot she even owned something when packing....THROW IT OUT....or donate it, but DO NOT pack it and take it with you! That's my TIP OF THE DAY!!!! When in doubt, throw it out! Makes the move alot easier!

Because we were transfered soooooo much when I was a child, I kinda like it and am used to moving to new places and kinda have the routine down, my friends that have lived in the same region their whole lives think I am nuts but i just look at it as a fun adventure! (I think when my sister and I were children, my parents made moving an adventure and a fun thing for us so that moving from place to place would be easier on us as children, I suppose? Anyway, it stuck, and to this day, that is how I look at it...an adventure, another part of the grand USA to see!!!)

jd

Joan
03-24-2008, 09:51 AM
Good to see you back Darrin, hope you can get used to the heat down there! I do recall in the early 60's in FL going to a bar with my cousin and he told me to keep my big mouth shut as "they don't cotton to no northerners down here" Now my son moved to GA, about 8 years ago, and when I was in the hospital, my doctor asked how long he had been there, when I told him, he shook his head and said he sounded like he had been born there!! So guess it won't take long for you to get used to life down there - good food too! Much luck with the move, Hope you and the family will be very happy!

Trigg
03-24-2008, 11:36 AM
Good luck with your move, your in for quite a culture shock. Things just move at a slower pace down south, I miss that sometimes.

Abbey Marie
03-24-2008, 03:30 PM
Sweet Home Alabama!! Go Tide!

hjmick
03-24-2008, 03:35 PM
Sweet Home Alabama!! Go Tide!

That would be "Roll Tide!"

Mr. P
03-24-2008, 05:46 PM
That would be "Roll Tide!"

And he ain't just whistlen Dixie!

By the way folks ....a yank or any other ferner that attempts to use southern terms sticks out like a sore thumb. It's best to just be you down here. If ya get along all is well, if not someone has the tar and most folks have feathers.

JohnDoe
03-24-2008, 07:00 PM
If you guys ever heard my Alabama Grandma talk, you would probably need an interpreter to decipher her strong southern accent!

Sounds silly, but that is one thing I miss up here in New England, is the Southern drawl....

"oh I wish I was in the land of Cotton, old times there are long forgotten..."

Instead I got:

"pahk the cah in the havahd yawd" ....interpretation...
park the car in the Harvard yard!

And Mr P is right, don't try to fake it...just be yourself... same with up here, just be ourselves and the Maine people will accept us.....as maineman had said once, we will always be "from away" to these born Mainiacs, but they will and do accept us....that's how they say it if you are not born in maine..."from away"....weird....lol.

jackass
03-24-2008, 07:01 PM
And he ain't just whistlen Dixie!

By the way folks ....a yank or any other ferner that attempts to use southern terms sticks out like a sore thumb. It's best to just be you down here. If ya get along all is well, if not someone has the tar and most folks have feathers.

I have no idea what you are tlaking about! I have met more people from out of state that I have who were born here!!! :laugh2:

5stringJeff
03-24-2008, 07:31 PM
And remember, you're "fixin' to" do something, not "about to" do it! :D

hjmick
03-24-2008, 07:32 PM
And the plural of "y'all" is "all y'all."

Abbey Marie
03-24-2008, 07:51 PM
If anyone does not like to hear English spoken correctly, that's their problem, not mine. :rolleyes:

Mr. P
03-24-2008, 09:44 PM
If anyone does not like to hear English spoken correctly, that's their problem, not mine. :rolleyes:

But southern English IS correct, so it's really your problem. :poke:
It's ok...we are uses to ya'll yanks trying to change stuff. :laugh2:

Abbey Marie
03-24-2008, 10:05 PM
But southern English IS correct, so it's really your problem. :poke:
It's ok...we are uses to ya'll yanks trying to change stuff. :laugh2:

Sure, Mr. P. :laugh2:

Sitarro
03-24-2008, 10:28 PM
When you get settled down there, take your Mazda and your Canon and head down the Natchez Trace Parkway..... a lot of fun highway and some nice shots to shoot. That Battleship in Mobile, The USS Alabama, is one bad ass boat too.

http://www.nps.gov/natr/photosmultimedia/index.htm

http://www.ussalabama.com/

Remember that every place has something special about it. Your job is to find it. Don't be too alarmed when people on the street say hi and good morning, people do that in the south.:salute:

Mr. P
03-24-2008, 10:35 PM
If you guys ever heard my Alabama Grandma talk, you would probably need an interpreter to decipher her strong southern accent!

Just had to comment on this!

I've lived in the South all but 2 yrs of my life. Thought I knew the lingo till I went hunting one yr with some 'real' southern boys!

Ridin in the front of a pick-up truck three abreast, those two talked for 30 minutes straight...I can't tell ya what the hell they talked about!

That was 30 years ago...I be better now.:laugh2:

*It's true, I didn't understand one word they said during that drive.

manu1959
03-24-2008, 10:41 PM

I've lived in the South all but 2 yrs of my life. Thought I knew the lingo till I went hunting one yr with some 'real' southern boys!

Ridin in the front of a pick-up truck three abreast, those two talked for 30 minutes straight...I can't tell ya what the hell they talked about!

i love those moments .... i had christmas dinner one year with three scotish raf pilots in garmisch......didn't understand anything......

JohnDoe
03-24-2008, 11:00 PM

:laugh2: I am soooo glad you understand what I mean!!!! My grandma would have been able to keep up with those boys (hunting and all) and understood everything!

I would have been lost probably...but you do get used to it and seem to learn what they are saying eventually!!! thank God!!! lol

jd

mrg666
03-24-2008, 11:12 PM
i love those moments .... i had christmas dinner one year with three scotish raf pilots in garmisch......didn't understand anything......

och hi

Trigg
03-25-2008, 08:35 AM

Too funny!!

My husbands grandmother was from the hills of Kentucky and she was impossible to understand. Although hubby couldn't figure out why I had such a hard time.

I always got the idea she thought I was a half wit, cause I'd sit there intently listening and still miss about half of what she said.