PDA

View Full Version : Retarded

Yurt
03-25-2008, 10:42 PM
The term has grown beyond the original scientific definition. I am loath to create new terms when so many exist. However, I am more loath to let such a term belittle those with actual retardation.

(so as not to derail the other thread)

Pale Rider
03-25-2008, 10:46 PM
You really don't want to listen to Rob, Arnie and Dawn in the morning then out of Sacramento. That's one of their favorite words, and they're not shy about using it, or talking about it.

They do have a website. One could email them and give them a piece of their mind.... http://robarnieanddawn.com/newsite/index.html

Kathianne
03-25-2008, 10:52 PM
I'll go with Yurt. My sister had Down's Syndrome. She also inherited the deaf gene and a bad heart. She was 8 years older than I. The doctors, my parents siblings all agreed it was better that she was sent away, so my parents could raise healthy children. So she was. Her deafness was not picked up until she was in her twenties. She was castrated. My parents beat themselves up to their last days.

She died, my mom didn't know. My father, well we nearly lost him there. He said that God would never forgive him for denying her. They did the best that they could, when I look at what happened to some of my friends with 'special' siblings, I have to say, my parents made the brave choice.

CockySOB
03-25-2008, 11:00 PM
A very close friend of mine has a beautiful daughter with cerebral palsy. A lovely, innocent child full of joy and curiosity. I attribute her wonderful personality to the loving and supportive environment she is being raised in.

Kathianne
03-25-2008, 11:06 PM
A very close friend of mine has a beautiful daughter with cerebral palsy. A lovely, innocent child full of joy and curiosity. I attribute her wonderful personality to the loving and supportive environment she is being raised in.

I think Cocky, that is what my parents would have chosen, but submitted to the 'powers' of the time. They forever regreted it, except when they realized the sacrifices that would have befallen myself and my brother.

Yurt
03-25-2008, 11:06 PM
You really don't want to listen to Rob, Arnie and Dawn in the morning then out of Sacramento. That's one of their favorite words, and they're not shy about using it, or talking about it.

They do have a website. One could email them and give them a piece of their mind.... http://robarnieanddawn.com/newsite/index.html

i wouldn't rush to judge them on their usuage of the word, as it has grown beyond its original definition. if they are in fact, debasing those with mental and physical handicaps (scientifically retarded) their words are inexcusible.

i forgot to mention, as i said in the other thread, i only bring up to make people aware

Pale Rider
03-25-2008, 11:45 PM
i wouldn't rush to judge them on their usuage of the word, as it has grown beyond its original definition. if they are in fact, debasing those with mental and physical handicaps (scientifically retarded) their words are inexcusible.

i forgot to mention, as i said in the other thread, i only bring up to make people aware

Yeah they get to bashing the mentally handicapped sometimes. But Dawn is a flaming liberal, and really unleashes some horrendous tongue lashings on Rob and Arnie for it. It may just be one of their 'shticks,' I don't know, but their show is wildly popular.

diuretic
03-26-2008, 12:26 AM
If I ever use that word or the associated phrase, no-one will have to beat me up for doing so, I'll beat myself up.

The Reverend
03-26-2008, 05:26 AM
The term has grown beyond the original scientific definition. I am loath to create new terms when so many exist. However, I am more loath to let such a term belittle those with actual retardation.

(so as not to derail the other thread)

I'll go with Yurt. My sister had Down's Syndrome. She also inherited the deaf gene and a bad heart. She was 8 years older than I. The doctors, my parents siblings all agreed it was better that she was sent away, so my parents could raise healthy children. So she was. Her deafness was not picked up until she was in her twenties. She was castrated. My parents beat themselves up to their last days.

She died, my mom didn't know. My father, well we nearly lost him there. He said that God would never forgive him for denying her. They did the best that they could, when I look at what happened to some of my friends with 'special' siblings, I have to say, my parents made the brave choice.

This maybe just me but I do not consider people with disabilities "retarded".

What I consider retarded is this

retard
noun
1. a person of subnormal intelligence [syn: idiot]

Just my http://snipersparadise.com/sniperchat/style_emoticons/default/TwoCents.gif

MtnBiker
03-26-2008, 09:22 AM
Point taken Yurt. You stood up for people that need an advocate and you are a good person for doing so. I made an unfortunate comparrison in an attempt to make a point. It is also unfortunate that debates on this board degenerate over meaningless side issuses that are silly and useless. In the future I will seek a better analogy to make my point.

Hagbard Celine
03-26-2008, 11:04 AM
The essential meaning of "retarded" is "slow." To "retard" is to "slow down." I see it as no more offensive than calling someone an "idiot" or "dumb." Both of those terms were originally used to refer to mentally handicapped people as was the term "mental" or "mental case." I think if you use any slang terms or racial slurs to denigrate people--even jokingly--you can't really go around taking offense selectively to certain terms you've personally deemed distasteful. I'd view it as an all or nothing scenario. Either you're okay with using these terms or you're not. If you're not, then you probably shouldn't use any of them.

manu1959
03-26-2008, 11:07 AM
The essential meaning of "retarded" is "slow." To "retard" is to "slow down." I see it as no more offensive than calling someone an "idiot" or "dumb." Both of those terms were originally used to refer to mentally handicapped people as was the term "mental" or "mental case." I think if you use any slang terms or racial slurs to denigrate people--even jokingly--you can't really go around taking offense selectively to certain terms you've personally deemed distasteful. I'd view it as an all or nothing scenario. Either you're okay with using these terms or you're not. If you're not, then you probably shouldn't use any of them.

yes .....we should take advice from you.....the pargon of board behaviour....

Abbey Marie
03-26-2008, 11:09 AM
We all have our particular sensitivies, and insensitivities, and it is easy to not see the offense in areas where we have had no experience.

Then there are those who can find offense in just about anything. These people have their lawyer's number on speed dial. :laugh2:

Hagbard Celine
03-26-2008, 11:29 AM
yes .....we should take advice from you.....the pargon of board behaviour....

Well I'm either right or I'm wrong. In this instance I think it's pretty cut and dry. If you (or anybody--I'm using "you" in the broad, non-specific sense) don't use the term "retarded" because you find it offensive but you still call women "bitches" or black people "niggers," you're being blatantly hypocritical.

manu1959
03-26-2008, 11:32 AM
Well I'm either right or I'm wrong. In this instance I think it's pretty cut and dry. If you (or anybody--I'm using "you" in the broad, non-specific sense) don't use the term "retarded" because you find it offensive but you still call women "bitches" or black people "niggers," you're being blatantly hypocritical.

no you would be inconsistent....hypocritical has a different meaning....

MtnBiker
03-26-2008, 11:36 AM
Just so everone knows, this thread was started in reply to a specific reference I used with the denegration of another thread and special olympics.

Hagbard Celine
03-26-2008, 11:42 AM
no you would be inconsistent....hypocritical has a different meaning....

Being a hypocrite is saying one thing and doing another. That's the definition of inconsistency. Whatever, I'm not here to argue semantics. You understand what I mean.

On another note, my stepmom taught "mentally handicapped" kids for about a decade and she loved every one of them, but she still referred to them as "the tards" at home. I think the only thing that matters is respecting other people's views when it comes to this type of thing. If other people don't like hearing or take offense to the use of certain monikers, don't use them in front of those people. Otherwise, you can say whatever you want in other situations. It's a question of self-restraint and situational propriety. The golden rule applies yet again.

manu1959
03-26-2008, 11:58 AM
Being a hypocrite is saying one thing and doing another. That's the definition of inconsistency. Whatever, I'm not here to argue semantics. You understand what I mean.

On another note, my stepmom taught "mentally handicapped" kids for about a decade and she loved every one of them, but she still referred to them as "the tards" at home. I think the only thing that matters is respecting other people's views when it comes to this type of thing. If other people don't like hearing or take offense to the use of certain monikers, don't use them in front of those people. Otherwise, you can say whatever you want in other situations. It's a question of self-restraint and situational propriety. The golden rule applies yet again.

wow......chucking your mum under the bus just like obama.....must be a liberal thing....

dan
03-26-2008, 11:59 AM

Sheer insanity. You're saying that someone who calls somebody a "dummy" is equal in your mind to someone who calls somebody a "nigger"?

manu1959
03-26-2008, 12:00 PM
Sheer insanity. You're saying that someone who calls somebody a "dummy" is equal in your mind to someone who calls somebody a "nigger"?

naaaaaaaah .... he is saying it is all good because his mum used slurs against her students ....

gabosaurus
03-26-2008, 12:04 PM
The essential meaning of "retarded" is "slow." To "retard" is to "slow down."

I completely disagree. The term "retarded" (or, more PC -- "mentally challenged") is normally reserved for those with diagnosed or readily apparently mental disorders.
The term "slow" is someone who has the proper mental capacities, but has a trigger delay.

My best friend Lauren is "slow." She is as normal as you or I. It just takes her longer to figure out some things. She has very poor memory retention. Her judgment is occasionally impaired.

Hagbard Celine
03-26-2008, 12:14 PM
I completely disagree. The term "retarded" (or, more PC -- "mentally challenged") is normally reserved for those with diagnosed or readily apparently mental disorders.
The term "slow" is someone who has the proper mental capacities, but has a trigger delay.

My best friend Lauren is "slow." She is as normal as you or I. It just takes her longer to figure out some things. She has very poor memory retention. Her judgment is occasionally impaired.

"Retard" was and is used in music and in many other situations to signify that something or someone is slow or slowing down. If you don't believe me or you've never learned to read music, look it up: http://www.dictionary.com The more modern usage is the one you're referring to and it has most recently taken-on the slang, disparraging meaning we use to rib our idiot friends. You should buy your friend a bottle of ginseng. :laugh:

To the "retards" above who've somehow reached the conclusion that I've "thrown my mum under the bus," please get a life. :slap:

Hagbard Celine
03-26-2008, 12:21 PM

I'm saying if you take offense to the term "retard," then you should take offense to the term "dummy" as well. It was a clinical term too and they both mean the same thing.
Look, bending what I said to reflect some bent version of reality only makes you look bad, not me. If you can't read and digest simple ideas and come out on the other side with a realistic conclusion then it's your problem, not mine.

gabosaurus
03-26-2008, 12:21 PM
I was referring to psychology. I have never heard the term used in relation to music.

dan
03-26-2008, 12:57 PM
I'm saying if you take offense to the term "retard," then you should take offense to the term "dummy" as well. It was a clinical term too and they both mean the same thing.
Look, bending what I said to reflect some bent version of reality only makes you look bad, not me. If you can't read and digest simple ideas and come out on the other side with a realistic conclusion then it's your problem, not mine.

Not sure if that horseshit was directed toward me, but I read this....

I think if you use any slang terms or racial slurs to denigrate people--even jokingly--you can't really go around taking offense selectively to certain terms you've personally deemed distasteful.

...and assumed it meant "I think someone using X word to put down another person is just as bad as someone using any other word to put down another person."

All that said, I've yet to hear an insult toward myself or anybody else that offended me, so it's kind of a moot point on my end.

dan
03-26-2008, 12:58 PM
Also, you were the one who brought the n-word into the discussion, not me.

Hagbard Celine
03-26-2008, 01:29 PM
Also, you were the one who brought the n-word into the discussion, not me.

I used it as an example. In terms of "insults," aren't "nigger" and "retard" the same things? They're both insults. I also used the word "bitches" as an example. My point is that if you take offense to the use of the word "retard," shouldn't you take offense to the use of all other insults? In other words, is it "inconsistent" for a person to take offense to one insult but still use others? Don't we all have at least one trait that can be turned into a derogatory moniker used to disparrage us? And if so, shouldn't we all try to avoid using any and all said monikers against other people? In a perfect world at least?
I don't know why you have to call my opinion "horsesh*t." I didn't use any profanity when responding to yours. :cheers2:

dan
03-26-2008, 01:42 PM
I used it as an example. In terms of "insults," aren't "nigger" and "retard" the same things? They're both insults. I also used the word "bitches" as an example. My point is that if you take offense to the use of the word "retard," shouldn't you take offense to the use of all other insults? In other words, is it "inconsistent" for a person to take offense to one insult but still use others? Don't we all have at least one trait that can be turned into a derogatory moniker used to disparrage us? And if so, shouldn't we all try to avoid using any and all said monikers against other people? In a perfect world at least?
I don't know why you have to call my opinion "horsesh*t." I didn't use any profanity when responding to yours. :cheers2:

Work is sucking today, I have a list of people I'd like to bitch out that's about 20 names long. Unfortunately, you're the first person I was able to talk to who can't get me fired, so you took the brunt of it, sorry.

OK, objectively, "n-word" and "retard" are the same, in terms of their purpose I guess, but do you see my point that in practice, most people would have a bigger problem with the former than with the latter?

This is all beside the point of the thread, I guess. I'm going to hang out in the Steel Cage for a while.

Hagbard Celine
03-26-2008, 01:48 PM
Work is sucking today, I have a list of people I'd like to bitch out that's about 20 names long. Unfortunately, you're the first person I was able to talk to who can't get me fired, so you took the brunt of it, sorry.

OK, objectively, "n-word" and "retard" are the same, in terms of their purpose I guess, but do you see my point that in practice, most people would have a bigger problem with the former than with the latter?

This is all beside the point of the thread, I guess. I'm going to hang out in the Steel Cage for a while.

Of course, I'm just making an overall observation. Personally I use insults frequently--basically all the time and I don't really "take offense" to anything. I'm a very happy person with an exceptionally high self-image and I think people who spend all their time being "outraged" over this or that are simply weak or unhappy and are unwilling to look inward and correct whatever it is that is really making them unhappy. That being said, I call other people's opinions "horshsh*t" all the time on this board so don't feel bad--I'm just in an exceptionally smug/passive-aggressive/paradoxically beneficent (let's call it "Smuggressifent") mood today. :laugh: :cheers2:

dan
03-26-2008, 02:28 PM
Glad we could sort that out. I was starting to feel like a real you-know-what there!

retiredman
03-26-2008, 02:41 PM
I was referring to psychology. I have never heard the term used in relation to music.
a "retard" in music is a purposeful slowing of tempo

dan
03-26-2008, 03:13 PM
a "retard" in music is a purposeful slowing of tempo

Technically, it's ritard, as the musical term derives from Italian (I believe).

manu1959
03-26-2008, 04:50 PM

how about ....gay....it used to mean happy......or the rainbow......it used to mean making a wish.....

Dilloduck
03-26-2008, 04:53 PM
how about ....gay....it used to mean happy......or the rainbow......it used to mean making a wish.....

and now I get called 'typical' by a black man. what's a person to do ?? :laugh2:

Hagbard Celine
03-26-2008, 04:58 PM

Yep, a lot of word and symbol meanings change over time. Another example would be the Swastika. It's original meaning was literally "to be good," but the Nazi party perverted it and now it's synonymous with genocide. The word "cool" used to just mean "to have a slightly lower than normal temperature," but now if you look up the word in a dictionary you'll find a picture of me.

Dilloduck
03-26-2008, 05:02 PM
Actually it's redneck for when you put on some new Michelins-----your car has been re-tard ! :laugh2:

retiredman
03-26-2008, 05:33 PM
Technically, it's ritard, as the musical term derives from Italian (I believe).

now that I think about it, you are absolutely right.

5stringJeff
03-26-2008, 06:18 PM

In music, it's spelled ritardando, abbreviated ritard., and it means to slow down the tempo.

Edit: Doh! You guys beat me to it!

dan
03-26-2008, 06:39 PM
In music, it's spelled ritardando, abbreviated ritard., and it means to slow down the tempo.

Edit: Doh! You guys beat me to it!

My guitar teacher would be so proud of me!:laugh2: