PDA

View Full Version : When To Ignore

Kathianne
03-25-2008, 11:13 PM
Some people that I often agree with made a point to slam 'retards.' I've already posted why that was hurtful, as I had a Down's Syndrome sister, whom I loved very much. She never lived with me, the most was 3 days, during Christmas time. She really hated being out of 'controlled environment,' though she love the food. ;)

I miss her, nearly as much as my parents. She was an angel, which they weren't, they had their faults. Mary Beth, well she never meant any harm. She couldn't have if she wanted to. Wish we could all be so innocent.

krisy
03-26-2008, 08:35 AM
I know what you mean Kathianne. I have a nephew who is autistic. He is 19 now. He can talk,but in very short simple sentences and is definitely in his own bubble. Four or five years ago,my sister had to finally give him up because she has 8,yes 8, other children. He was starting to get physically rough with her.

I believe he is in a good home now,after at least one where abuse was suspected by the foster parents. She can also have him brought to her house whenever she wants,like holidays or if she just wants to see him. Her second youngest child has also now been diagnosed with autism.

I have never let my children call anyone retards,or be bullies in any way. I wil NOT allow it. I think for adults to use the term so loosely is hurtful and juvenile.

Dilloduck
03-26-2008, 04:31 PM
Some people that I often agree with made a point to slam 'retards.' I've already posted why that was hurtful, as I had a Down's Syndrome sister, whom I loved very much. She never lived with me, the most was 3 days, during Christmas time. She really hated being out of 'controlled environment,' though she love the food. ;)

I miss her, nearly as much as my parents. She was an angel, which they weren't, they had their faults. Mary Beth, well she never meant any harm. She couldn't have if she wanted to. Wish we could all be so innocent.

Hwo about calling people 'fucktards' ? Are we all OK with a few rearranged letters ?

diuretic
03-26-2008, 04:35 PM
It's a derived word and the "retard" reference is still in there.

The problem is Americans don't know how to swear. You need to get in touch with your Anglo-Saxon roots and learn to swear like the Brits and us :laugh2:

Abbey Marie
03-26-2008, 04:44 PM

The problem is Americans don't know how to swear. You need to get in touch with your Anglo-Saxon roots and learn to swear like the Brits and us :laugh2:

Like bloody hell we will! :laugh2:

Dilloduck
03-26-2008, 04:48 PM

That was my impression too. We might wanna avoid the whole 'tard' thing all together. :laugh2:

manu1959
03-26-2008, 04:51 PM

bugger off ya fanny

Dilloduck
03-26-2008, 05:04 PM
bugger off ya fanny

Just great---now you've offended all the insects !! :slap:

Kathianne
03-26-2008, 06:51 PM
Hwo about calling people 'fucktards' ? Are we all OK with a few rearranged letters ?

actually fuktard fits some. ;) Meant in the nicest way possible. Difference is, the fuktards can help it.

Dilloduck
03-26-2008, 07:03 PM
actually fuktard fits some. ;) Meant in the nicest way possible. Difference is, the fuktards can help it.

I knew you could recover quickly from the retard thingy. Now how are you doing with "bugger off" ? :laugh2:

Kathianne
03-26-2008, 07:05 PM
I knew you could recover quickly from the retard thingy. Now how are you doing with "bugger off" ? :laugh2:

Back atcha. :laugh2:

diuretic
03-26-2008, 08:48 PM
bugger off ya fanny

Case Notes - Manu1959 - Subject: improving swearing

This semester Manu (as we call him) has shown some improvement in Swearing 101. However he does need to try harder. He does show some potential, which is a positive sign. His grasp of regional British swearing has shown progress, his grasp of Australian swearing does need some work but with the proper guidance he should be able to at least reach the vocabulary of the average wharfie*.

At this stage I have graded him B-, yes, it might be a little harsh but he must try just that more to reach his full potential. I have no doubt at the end of next semester he will get a bloody big F which of course in Swearing 101 is equivalent to an A in any other subject. :laugh2:

*longshoreman

diuretic
03-26-2008, 08:50 PM
Like bloody hell we will! :laugh2:

Give it a shot girl! You know you wanna! <---- idiom borrowed from US English :D