PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Olympics, Yes or No?

Kathianne
03-25-2008, 11:25 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/24/AR2008032402297.html?nav=rss_opinions/columnsandblogs?nav=slate

A force for good or no? Do the Olympics matter?

Yurt
03-25-2008, 11:30 PM
not sure you can ignore a billion consumers....

03-26-2008, 06:40 AM
i say go. we saw how the last olympic boycott went. Why punish American athletes because of China's actions? Does us not showing up to beat the crap out of them and allowing them to win the Olympics help prove our cause?

Nukeman
03-26-2008, 08:53 AM
I have to agree with Avatar! We NEED to go just to show the world that we can be above the politics, and to show that we CARE about our athletes and the opportunity that this affords them.

The Olympics are to be above petty politics, war, and annimosity. It is suposed to bring the world community together to compete in a non violent way and to show "good faith" to all athletes.

So I have to say WE SHOULD GO and not punish our athletes for the misgivings of the Chinese government...

Roadrunner
03-26-2008, 09:57 AM
I'm not in favor of a political boycott, but I would like to see the U.S. not participate for another reason--the heavy pollution that hangs daily over all major Chinese cities. Cancer is epidemic in China because of this pollution. I read somewhere recently that China is making masks available for the athletes to wear. How considerate. :rolleyes:

Immanuel
03-26-2008, 10:52 AM
I have to agree with Avatar! We NEED to go just to show the world that we can be above the politics, and to show that we CARE about our athletes and the opportunity that this affords them.

The Olympics are to be above petty politics, war, and annimosity. It is suposed to bring the world community together to compete in a non violent way and to show "good faith" to all athletes.

So I have to say WE SHOULD GO and not punish our athletes for the misgivings of the Chinese government...

I agree. But the Olympics were a lot more exciting when we actually used amatuer athletes. Ever since the NBA and NHL got involved and took over they have ruined the games. It was exciting to watch the up and coming stars of tomorrow compete. Now all we have is an NBA exhibition season.

Also, NBC does piss poor coverage of the Olympics! 22 hours of "up close and personal" and 2 hours of actual sporting events per day, doesn't equal good coverage of the games.

Just my humble opinion of course.

Immie

Okay, I should edit that 16 hours, up close and personal, 6 hours commercials and 2 hours of sporting events is more accurate.

manu1959
03-26-2008, 11:05 AM
I'm not in favor of a political boycott, but I would like to see the U.S. not participate for another reason--the heavy pollution that hangs daily over all major Chinese cities. Cancer is epidemic in China because of this pollution. I read somewhere recently that China is making masks available for the athletes to wear. How considerate. :rolleyes:

can't be ... they signed the kyoto protocal.....

anyway ....... govt' should not be involved in the olympics......

Hagbard Celine
03-26-2008, 11:07 AM
I wonder if they set up giant fields of fans to blow all the pollution into the Pacific would that fix the problem?

manu1959
03-26-2008, 11:10 AM
I wonder if they set up giant fields of fans to blow all the pollution into the Pacific would that fix the problem?

unfortunately china doesn't touch the pacific ocean......

http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/as.htm

Hagbard Celine
03-26-2008, 11:25 AM
unfortunately china doesn't touch the pacific ocean......

http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/as.htm

Uh, it doesn't?
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/maps/asia/china/map-of-china.gif
If you look in the lower, right-hand corner of this map you'll see the words "Pacific Ocean" written in the blue area, which signifies the Pacific Ocean. If you'll scan your eyes slightly to the left you'll notice that the tan area signifying the coast of China begins where the blue area ends.

03-26-2008, 03:27 PM
Uh, it doesn't?
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/maps/asia/china/map-of-china.gif
If you look in the lower, right-hand corner of this map you'll see the words "Pacific Ocean" written in the blue area, which signifies the Pacific Ocean. If you'll scan your eyes slightly to the left you'll notice that the tan area signifying the coast of China begins where the blue area ends.

manu is correct. simply because the map you are showing isnt detailed enough doesn't mean he is wrong.

Roadrunner
03-26-2008, 03:47 PM
can't be ... they signed the kyoto protocal.....

Yeah. Just goes to show how sincere some countries are when they affix their signatures to documents. We've all seen photographs of the thick pollution that hangs over Chinese cities. Their air is not only polluted, but their rivers and streams are polluted as well. Has the environmentalists and the world press ever turned the spotlight on China over this? If so, I've missed it. Evidently they think if you sign the Kyoto Protocol that makes you a good guy and you're free from their harassment.

Mr. P
03-26-2008, 05:03 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/24/AR2008032402297.html?nav=rss_opinions/columnsandblogs?nav=slate

A force for good or no? Do the Olympics matter?

Since Adults can't seem to separate world politics from world class athletic events.......

Just hold the Summer games in Athens all the time.
Hold the Winter games in Sweden.

Hagbard Celine
03-26-2008, 05:09 PM
manu is correct. simply because the map you are showing isnt detailed enough doesn't mean he is wrong.

I'm not interested in arguing semantics with you. The water directly off the coast of Georgia is technically called the "Intercoastal waterway," but everyone would agree that it's part of the Atlantic. Pick your battles man. If you continue to go through life arguing over every intricacy of every conversation you'll die young with high blood pressure, ulcers and male-pattern-baldness. Believe me, I know because I've died of all three.

03-26-2008, 05:18 PM
Yeah. Just goes to show how sincere some countries are when they affix their signatures to documents. We've all seen photographs of the thick pollution that hangs over Chinese cities. Their air is not only polluted, but their rivers and streams are polluted as well. Has the environmentalists and the world press ever turned the spotlight on China over this? If so, I've missed it. Evidently they think if you sign the Kyoto Protocol that makes you a good guy and you're free from their harassment.

you act as though stopping pollution is the goal of the environmental movement. whatever gave you that idea?

03-26-2008, 05:20 PM
I'm not interested in arguing semantics with you. The water directly off the coast of Georgia is technically called the "Intercoastal waterway," but everyone would agree that it's part of the Atlantic. Pick your battles man. If you continue to go through life arguing over every intricacy of every conversation you'll die young with high blood pressure, ulcers and male-pattern-baldness. Believe me, I know because I've died of all three.

no one is talking about "intercoastal waterways". We are talking about the fact that the water touching China is in no way the Pacific Ocean.

I pick my battles when its important to. This is an internet chat board. And here Ill argue anything i feel like when it's correct.

Hagbard Celine
03-26-2008, 05:26 PM
you act as though stopping pollution is the goal of the environmental movement. whatever gave you that idea?

Well? It is. I think your ire is directed at the wrong thing. It's pretty obvious that China signed the Kyoto protocol so that it would look good internationally. Everyone knows that China is enjoying unprecedented growth and any global "positive chi" so-to-speak is something they are going to jump for. I think it's also pretty obvious that they have no intention of cutting back on anything at the moment, much less the cheap, pollutive production methods that are currently bringing them affluence.

Hagbard Celine
03-26-2008, 05:27 PM
no one is talking about "intercoastal waterways". We are talking about the fact that the water touching China is in no way the Pacific Ocean.

I pick my battles when its important to. This is an internet chat board. And here Ill argue anything i feel like when it's correct.

Have it your way guy.

Roadrunner
03-31-2008, 08:33 AM

The goals of the environmental movement are a complex mix. Getting rid of air pollution (smog) is certainly one of the goals of the environmentalists. China’s coal burning plants contribute greatly to the thick smog that hovers over Chinese cities by emitting sulfur, nitrogen oxide, mercury and carbon dioxide into the air. Carbon dioxide is responsible for producing greenhouse gas, which is allegedly responsible for global warming.

Hagbard Celine
03-31-2008, 09:01 AM
The goals of the environmental movement are a complex mix. Getting rid of air pollution (smog) is certainly one of the goals of the environmentalists. China’s coal burning plants contribute greatly to the thick smog that hovers over Chinese cities by emitting sulfur, nitrogen oxide, mercury and carbon dioxide into the air. Carbon dioxide is responsible for producing greenhouse gas, which is allegedly responsible for global warming.

You're trying to reason with people who truly believe that global warming is a hoax cooked up by the "vast liberal conspiracy" to make Al Gore rich off of Carbon Offsets.
Logic and reason falls on deaf ears here.

03-31-2008, 12:54 PM
You're trying to reason with people who truly believe that global warming is a hoax cooked up by the "vast liberal conspiracy" to make Al Gore rich off of Carbon Offsets.
Logic and reason falls on deaf ears here.

obviously it does. otherwise it would be perfectly obvious that the only reason Al Gore is pushing the global warming nonsense is because he is making money off carbon offsets. Just follow the money man.

retiredman
03-31-2008, 01:07 PM

I beg to differ, the east and south china seas are both considered to be western arms of the pacific ocean.

Hagbard Celine
03-31-2008, 01:26 PM
obviously it does. otherwise it would be perfectly obvious that the only reason Al Gore is pushing the global warming nonsense is because he is making money off carbon offsets. Just follow the money man.

Point made :rolleyes:

Kathianne
04-05-2008, 06:18 AM
China doesn't do public relations well. :rolleyes:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article3683878.ece

April 5, 2008
Exclusive: Chinese police kill eight after opening fire on monks and Tibet protesters
'They cried long live the Dalai Lama – then the firing started'