PDA

View Full Version : Hey do I have balls or what?

Sitarro
03-26-2008, 12:56 AM
This was shot with the equivalent of a 50 mm lens a few minutes ago. This beautiful little stinker was on my deck and to get a decent shot I had to open the glass door. I have had as many as 3 skunks, 2 racoons and a possum on my deck at one time, they come to eat the food I leave out for some ferrel cats that live in my back yard.

Pale Rider
03-26-2008, 01:01 AM
I've heard more than once from old timers that a skunk can make a good pet if you get them descented. I guess they're not much different than a cat.

I don't suppose he'd spray you when he knows you're the one feeding him do you?

In any case... bold picture brother... :beer:

Sitarro
03-26-2008, 01:19 AM
I've heard more than once from old timers that a skunk can make a good pet if you get them descented. I guess they're not much different than a cat.

In any case... bold picture brother... :beer:
Thanks Pale,
I would love to have one of these little guys, can you imagine the jokes you could play. They certainly aren't afraid of much, I watched in horror one night when a possum went after the food and was sprayed point blank in the face, he sneezed a few times and kept on going. The skunk left the food to him, I guess he earned some respect.

I figured I was OK as long as the business end was facing me but it only takes them a split second to whip it around. They are known to carry rabies also. I almost stepped on this guy on my front porch one night when I was going out to enjoy a good stogie, I am definitely more aware now.:laugh2::laugh2:

Pale Rider
03-26-2008, 01:37 AM
Thanks Pale,
I would love to have one of these little guys, can you imagine the jokes you could play. They certainly aren't afraid of much, I watched in horror one night when a possum went after the food and was sprayed point blank in the face, he sneezed a few times and kept on going. The skunk left the food to him, I guess he earned some respect.

I figured I was OK as long as the business end was facing me but it only takes them a split second to whip it around. They are known to carry rabies also. I almost stepped on this guy on my front porch one night when I was going out to enjoy a good stogie, I am definitely more aware now.:laugh2::laugh2:

I can't wait to get the hell out of this city and moved back into the country myself Sit. I'm sick of it here. Too damn many people for my taste. I envy people that have critters roaming around... even skunks.

JohnDoe
03-26-2008, 03:22 AM
Skunks are just beautiful! I would have never known this if we did not have a regular skunk as you do that comes at night to our deck and I too opened the door to go out one night on the deck and nearly stepped on the little guy...and honestly, they are NOT that little.... in my head i thought they were the size of a squirrel but they are so much larger than that!

I feed the local squirrels, mostly tiny red squirrels around here with a bigger grey squirrel every once in a while peanuts....whatever the squirrels bury or hide for the day the skunk was coming to eat...

Anyway, this went on for 2 months or so, the skunk coming every night and me looking at him through the back glass french door, then one night I smelled a distant skunk smell...but he/she never came....the next day when driving down the road about 200 yards from the house on the paved/main road, there was a dead skunk hit by a car....:( my husband braved getting him off the road and dug a grave and burried it. No more visits, so I presumed it was my beautiful friend!

I believe they would make good pets if you did have them descented

stephanie
03-26-2008, 03:36 AM
Sitarro..........ya got some BIG ones...

I've also heard skunks can make good pets...Never had one so don't know..

great picture...:cheers2:

PostmodernProphet
03-26-2008, 05:06 AM

don't blight the hand that feeds you?........

Sitarro
03-26-2008, 06:21 AM
don't blight the hand that feeds you?........

I'm not sure that the mind of that skunk has figured out where the food comes from. He/she may think the cats are feeding him.:laugh2::laugh2:

retiredman
03-26-2008, 07:13 AM
I'm not sure that the mind of that skunk has figured out where the food comes from. He/she may think the cats are feeding him.:laugh2::laugh2:

that is probably what the cats told him.

Classact
03-26-2008, 08:49 AM
I had a school friend in the late 50's that ran a trap line before and after school for his fur enterprise and he got sprayed by a skunk one evening. He was kicked out of school for a week, his mom made him sleep in an outbuilding and take baths in tomato juice for three days and it was the middle of winter. He started carrying a pistol with him to check his traps after that... we were in the 6th grade.

JohnDoe
03-26-2008, 09:06 AM
:laugh2::laugh2:

Funny you say that Sitarro....The squirrels that I feed peanuts, think that my cat is their feeder....at least at my home in massachusetts before moving here.... my fat cat would lay on the deck with the squirrels while they snacked....when my cat would sit at the sliding glass door's screen, the squirrels would come directly to her, nose to nose expecting my cat to give them peanuts....

I had left the screen door opened once so that my cat could go in and out by herself and one day I walked in to the dining area where the sliding door is to the deck and the peanuts in a big basket were kept and I saw a squirrel go nose to nose sniffing Abbey and Abbey sniffing the Squirrel and then I watched the squirrel go past my cat after the greet with her, and jump in the basket with the peanuts and proceeded to sit there and feed on them, putting empty shells all over the dining room.

I DID NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO....so I sat there silently watching the squirrel feast and Abbey my cat, laying there letting it....I thought if I tried to chase the squirrel out of the house I could have had a disaster and real mess on my hands if he did not run right out the screen opening!!! Sooooooooo, I just froze!!!! Finally the squirrel was full and jumped out of the basket, walked past abbey, and went out the screen!!!!!! whew!!!

The squirrels there definately thought my cat was feeding them! :)

jd

Abbey Marie
03-26-2008, 09:47 AM
Skunks are just beautiful! I would have never known this if we did not have a regular skunk as you do that comes at night to our deck and I too opened the door to go out one night on the deck and nearly stepped on the little guy...and honestly, they are NOT that little.... in my head i thought they were the size of a squirrel but they are so much larger than that!

I feed the local squirrels, mostly tiny red squirrels around here with a bigger grey squirrel every once in a while peanuts....whatever the squirrels bury or hide for the day the skunk was coming to eat...

Anyway, this went on for 2 months or so, the skunk coming every night and me looking at him through the back glass french door, then one night I smelled a distant skunk smell...but he/she never came....the next day when driving down the road about 200 yards from the house on the paved/main road, there was a dead skunk hit by a car....:( my husband braved getting him off the road and dug a grave and burried it. No more visits, so I presumed it was my beautiful friend!

I believe they would make good pets if you did have them descented

Those Maine red squirrels are noisy little buggers! But cute.

JohnDoe
03-26-2008, 09:39 PM
Those Maine red squirrels are noisy little buggers! But cute.
They yell at you! If I open the back door in the morning and come outside without the peanuts in my hand.....you can see about ten of the red squirrels all lined up in different trees, yakking at me....like they are saying, "HEY, WHERE'S THE PEANUTS chick? Don't be coming outside without those peanuts!!!"
Noisy littler buggers for certain! But so cute, I had never seen a red squirrel till i came to Maine, only the bigger grey squirrels and chipmunks and stuff, but not these tiny, noisy, red ones!

retiredman
03-26-2008, 10:24 PM
They yell at you! If I open the back door in the morning and come outside without the peanuts in my hand.....you can see about ten of the red squirrels all lined up in different trees, yakking at me....like they are saying, "HEY, WHERE'S THE PEANUTS chick? Don't be coming outside without those peanuts!!!"
Noisy littler buggers for certain! But so cute, I had never seen a red squirrel till i came to Maine, only the bigger grey squirrels and chipmunks and stuff, but not these tiny, noisy, red ones!

in western illinois, we had BLACK squirrels.

and be advised, JD, maine red squirrels are the most destructive of the lot. If they get inside anywhere in your house, they will gnaw it apart.

Abbey Marie
03-26-2008, 10:35 PM
in western illinois, we had BLACK squirrels.

and be advised, JD, maine red squirrels are the most destructive of the lot. If they get inside anywhere in your house, they will gnaw it apart.

There are black squirrels in the Bronx, too. Yes, I'm serious.

retiredman
03-26-2008, 10:46 PM
There are black squirrels in the Bronx, too. Yes, I'm serious.

they were not indigenous but were brought over from Belgium, I believe...same as the ones in Illinois, that were brought there by the commandant of the rock island arsenal.

JohnDoe
03-27-2008, 12:05 AM
mfm

noted the warning on the red little buggers!!!! ty! lol

jd