View Full Version : Mondale worried about super-delegate vote

stephanie
03-26-2008, 03:01 AM
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m268/alaskamomma/th666039625882ic7.gif

Posted at: 03/24/2008 08:56:34 PM
Updated at: 03/25/2008 08:16:59 AM
By: Nicole Muehlhausen, Web Producer
Mondale worried about super-delegate vote

It seems as if Hillary Clinton can’t catch Barack Obama in pledged delegates or in the popular vote, meaning it could all come down to super-delegates.

One of Minnesota’s most prominent super-delegates,:laugh2: Walter Mondale, told 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS he’s worried that his party is headed for a ‘super-sized’ political disaster if a nominee isn't chosen before the Democratic National Convention.

Mondale has attended Democratic National Conventions for nearly 50 years. He said he’s never seen anything like what’s happening in 2008.

"I'm very frustrated by it," he said.

Obama and Clinton will likely go into the 2008 convention with neither one having enough delegates earned through primaries and caucuses to win the nomination.

"If we have a system where we go through all these elections and you can't elect or nominate anybody. Then you turn it over to the so-called ‘super-delegates’ who weren't elected and you can see why people are not going to like that," Mondale explained.

http://kstp.com/article/stories/S389402.shtml?cat=89

03-26-2008, 06:39 AM
amusing since he was one of the leading people who created the system

Classact
03-26-2008, 09:23 AM
Duh, from the US Constitution:

Each state shall appoint, in such manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a number of electors, equal to the whole number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress: but no Senator or Representative, or person holding an office of trust or profit under the United States, shall be appointed an elector.I would think this was for a reason, or not?

I watched the Governor of TN Phil Bredesen yesterday talking on the same subject and he assured that he was uncommitted but was spouting the same crap... but, he was so transparent you could see his support for the party choice Obama. The guy asking questions at CSPAN asked him, didn't TN choose Clinton and don't you feel that you should vote their will? He answers, oh that vote is fossilized now since it was so long ago.

theHawk
03-26-2008, 09:42 AM
Duh, from the US Constitution:

I would think this was for a reason, or not?

I watched the Governor of TN Phil Bredesen yesterday talking on the same subject and he assured that he was uncommitted but was spouting the same crap... but, he was so transparent you could see his support for the party choice Obama. The guy asking questions at CSPAN asked him, didn't TN choose Clinton and don't you feel that you should vote their will? He answers, oh that vote is fossilized now since it was so long ago.

Each state shall appoint, in such manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a number of electors, equal to the whole number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress: but no Senator or Representative, or person holding an office of trust or profit under the United States, shall be appointed an elector.

Article II section 1 pertains to electors voting for the President in the general election. It has nothing to do with how politcial parties choose as their delegates in their primary voting. The choices the Dem Party make are their own, as tasteless and anti-democratic as they are, they are not unconstitutional.

Classact
03-26-2008, 10:15 AM
Article II section 1 pertains to electors voting for the President in the general election. It has nothing to do with how politcial parties choose as their delegates in their primary voting. The choices the Dem Party make are their own, as tasteless and anti-democratic as they are, they are not unconstitutional.I knew that and was making a point that the Democratic Party should have seen the same thing the founders saw that having elected officials choosing nominees or office is a bad idea. Now they have themselves painted into a corner... When asked how can you win, Clinton says the delegates from each state do not have to vote in the convention as their constituents voted equal to the way the delegates in the electoral college don't have to follow the voters will in the national election. The delegates elect the nominee and delegates elect the president and not the citizens but elected officials should never be a delegate that may gain something from the way they vote.