PDA

View Full Version : Military tells Bush of troop strains

LiberalNation
03-26-2008, 03:59 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080326/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_iraq;_ylt=Auyv_nwt60r0aZu1bWWuJLZ34T0D

WASHINGTON - Behind the Pentagon's closed doors, U.S. military leaders told President Bush Wednesday they are worried about the Iraq war's mounting strain on troops and their families. But they indicated they'd go along with a halt in pulling out troops this summer.

The Joint Chiefs of Staff did say senior commanders in Iraq should make more frequent assessments of security conditions, an idea that appeared aimed at increasing pressure for more rapid troop reductions.

The chiefs' concern is that U.S. forces are being worn thin, compromising the Pentagon's ability to handle crises elsewhere in the world.

rppearso
03-26-2008, 07:16 PM
How can this be if the military is supposidly meeting all of there recruiting goals. There should be no issues or strain, of course thats not reality they just like to produce false reports so they can double talk when they need to (ie whine to the president about strain but then turn around and rebuttle military critics with recruiting numbers). It really is quite funny.

AFbombloader
03-27-2008, 03:08 AM
How can this be if the military is supposidly meeting all of there recruiting goals. There should be no issues or strain, of course thats not reality they just like to produce false reports so they can double talk when they need to (ie whine to the president about strain but then turn around and rebuttle military critics with recruiting numbers). It really is quite funny.

Did you even take time to read the article attached? You are so way off topic! This is why you get "flamed" any time you post.
This has nothing to do with recruiting and everything to do with improving the "quality of life" you harp about every post. They want to bring troops home, shorten tours and assure more time at home. Isn't that what you want? Isn't that what we all want. The post just talked about how the CJCS and the other officials are concerned and what they feel needs to be done to fix the issues at hand.
And all the branches did meet their goals for recruiting last year, so they didn't need the 5-10 people who were ignorant enough to listen to you.

AF:salute:

theHawk
03-27-2008, 09:39 AM

That would be because the size of the military has been reduced so much, that even when it meets its "recruiting goals", they are still short on people to fight in a war. You can thank Clinton for gutting the military into the size that Bush inherited. Until Congress authorizes higher troop levels, our troops will be 'strained'.

retiredman
03-27-2008, 09:42 AM
That would be because the size of the military has been reduced so much, that even when it meets its "recruiting goals", they are still short on people to fight in a war. You can thank Clinton for gutting the military into the size that Bush inherited. Until Congress authorizes higher troop levels, our troops will be 'strained'.

you might also thank former secretary of defense, Dick Cheney for slashing the DoD budget at the end of the cold war because of Bush the First's Peace Dividend. But, of course, if hacks like you did that, it would force you to admit that the problem was not just the fault of the democrats!

rppearso
03-27-2008, 02:25 PM
I would be very interested in seeing if they could meet there recruiting goals if authorization was give to increase troop strength to what was actually needed. How many people are actually turned away when they try to join the military unless you are completely retarded (ie super low ASVAB) or have numerous small medical problems or one serious medical problem, they are giving out waiver for all kinds of things just to meet the small recruiting goals they have now imagine if congress tripled or quadrupled that goal. I believe we would be looking at a draft because they could never do it and I believe that is why they dont authorize it because a draft is political suicide because people dont want to go into involuntary servitude.

Pale Rider
03-27-2008, 02:42 PM
I would be very interested in seeing if they could meet there recruiting goals if authorization was give to increase troop strength to what was actually needed. How many people are actually turned away when they try to join the military unless you are completely retarded (ie super low ASVAB) or have numerous small medical problems or one serious medical problem, they are giving out waiver for all kinds of things just to meet the small recruiting goals they have now imagine if congress tripled or quadrupled that goal. I believe we would be looking at a draft because they could never do it and I believe that is why they dont authorize it because a draft is political suicide because people dont want to go into involuntary servitude.

Political suicide or not, they better be thinking of reinstating the draft if our next President, mccain, is going to keep us in wars for the next "100 years."

rppearso
03-27-2008, 07:04 PM
Political suicide or not, they better be thinking of reinstating the draft if our next President, mccain, is going to keep us in wars for the next "100 years."

Even if mccain is willing to initiate a draft and commit political suicide for his second term I believe congress has to approve it and I dont think they are willing to commit such suicide so he wont be fighting wars for 100 years unless they have the backing of the people and for this war they dont. Maybe if China attacked us and thrust us into WW3 or if the arabs scaled up there violence beyond a few dudes with AK's and road side bombs you would see a draft. Im already out of A list draft age so im not to worried and by the time this actually happens I will be well into the B list, I think the max draft age is around 42 im pretty far from that but will definatly be in the B list. Also how long is it before your basic training expires, even if I were drafted I may not even have to do that.

Gaffer
03-27-2008, 08:23 PM
Even if mccain is willing to initiate a draft and commit political suicide for his second term I believe congress has to approve it and I dont think they are willing to commit such suicide so he wont be fighting wars for 100 years unless they have the backing of the people and for this war they dont. Maybe if China attacked us and thrust us into WW3 or if the arabs scaled up there violence beyond a few dudes with AK's and road side bombs you would see a draft. Im already out of A list draft age so im not to worried and by the time this actually happens I will be well into the B list, I think the max draft age is around 42 im pretty far from that but will definatly be in the B list. Also how long is it before your basic training expires, even if I were drafted I may not even have to do that.

Don't worry, your chicken shit ass will not be called up. They want real men in the military.

A draft is not needed and will not be needed unless we go into a real war that congress actually declares. And I don't think there should ever be a draft unless congress has the balls to declare war.

we are in the middle of a world war now. There are two major fronts and a lot of little skirmish areas. But the action is taking place all over the world. It's called the war with islam, or the long war. As its being waged in a PC manner and not as a total war it will take about a hundred years. Or until the muzzies do something so dastardly that the whole world decides to take real action.

Don't worry rr, real men are seeing to it you stay safe in your little cubicle.

Kathianne
03-27-2008, 08:36 PM
Don't worry, your chicken shit ass will not be called up. They want real men in the military.

A draft is not needed and will not be needed unless we go into a real war that congress actually declares. And I don't think there should ever be a draft unless congress has the balls to declare war.

we are in the middle of a world war now. There are two major fronts and a lot of little skirmish areas. But the action is taking place all over the world. It's called the war with islam, or the long war. As its being waged in a PC manner and not as a total war it will take about a hundred years. Or until the muzzies do something so dastardly that the whole world decides to take real action.

No shit! The very best post you've ever posted that I've seen. Wish I could rep you 100 times!

rppearso
03-27-2008, 08:48 PM
No shit! The very best post you've ever posted that I've seen. Wish I could rep you 100 times!

Maybe you should petition to get the rules changed so you can and gaffer can have a rep of 1 trillon.

Kathianne
03-27-2008, 08:56 PM
Maybe you should petition to get the rules changed so you can and gaffer can have a rep of 1 trillon.

Your point? See any rep whoring or reciprocal? Didn't think so.

Now as for Gaffer's comment on world war:

http://www.thestar.com/article/350909

Alleged Toronto terror plot detailed in court TheStar.com - GTA - Alleged Toronto terror plot detailed in court
LUCAS OLENIUK/TORONTO STAR
A track leads through land in Ramara Township northeast of Orillia, where the accused men are said to have held a military-style training camp.

SUSPECTED TERRORISTS, IN THEIR OWN WORDS

In a video, Person 1, shown sitting in the dark under what appears to be a tent, speaks to the group:

"We're here to kick it off man. We're here to get the rewards of everybody that's gonna come after us, God willing, if we don't (get) a victory, God willing, our kids will get it. If not them, their kids will get it, if not them, the(n) five generations down somebody will get it, God willing. This is the promise of Allah. . . .

Excerpts from a conversation in a car during

"Operation Badr," recorded covertly by police:

Person 3: "What happens, what happens at the Parliament?"

Person 1: "We go and kill everybody."

Person 3: "And then what?"

Informant: "And then read about it ..."

Person 1: "We get victory."

Informant: "And take, uh, Paul, um, what's his name ____. Paul loser."

Person 1: "Paul Martin."

Person 3: "Yeah."

Person 1: "Nah, I wish he had won guy."

Informant: "What you . . . what you talkin' about?"

Person 1: "Now it's the other guy, Harper."

Person 1 talks to the group:

"Rome has to be defeated. And we have to be the ones that do it, no holding back, whether it's one man that survives, you have to do it. This is what the Covenant's all about, you have to do it. And God willing, we will do it. God willing, we will get the victory."
Attack was to be bigger than London bombings, expected evidence shows
March 26, 2008
Isabel Teotonio
Staff Reporter

The "shocking and sensational" inner workings of an alleged homegrown terror cell were unveiled yesterday in a Brampton court – and included the plotting of an attack "much greater" in scale than the London 2005 bombings that killed 52 people.

In a document made public for the first time, the Crown painted a broad picture of the expected evidence in the trial of a youth who pleaded not guilty to belonging to a terrorist group. The trial opened yesterday.

According to the allegations, the so-called Toronto 18 were attempting to secure a safe house to store weapons and practise military drills, and embarking on a mission to destroy the West – one they should be willing to die for.

Details of the alleged plot, which also included storming Parliament Hill and beheading politicians, emerged in a factum filed by the Crown that described the case against the accused as "shocking and sensational."

The document contains transcripts of wiretaps and videotapes that include one conversation in which one of the accused speaks of the group's ambitions.

"They're probably expecting what happened in London or something," he said. "... Some bombing in a subway kills 10 people and everybody gets deported. We're not doing that. ... So our thing it's, it's much, much greater on a scale ... you do it once and you make sure they can never recover again."....

Gaffer
03-27-2008, 09:18 PM

Thanks kath. It's a shame they can't publicize all the covert ops going on out there and the battles that are fought that no one will ever hear about. People would shit green tadpoles if they knew the things that went on in the real world while they sit safe and snug in their cozy homes. Your article was excellent. The thing most don't realize is there are a lot more cells out there just like that one that are planning things and they haven't been caught yet.

If they think wright is a radical they should hear what is said in the mosques around the world.

Pale Rider
03-28-2008, 05:18 AM

This is just what bugs me. The how long it takes. I'm all for kicking terrorist ass. The more the better. But this occupying and nation building is not what our constitution says this country should be doing.

And I have no problem with a draft. By God they had a draft when I was eighteen, and both my brother and I volunteered for the military. My brother came home after two tours in Viet Nam and killed himself in 1986, 20 days after his birthday. I went on to spend eight years in the Air Force. If our country is going to do like it's doing, have the majority of our reserve forces including national guard fighting, and still be stretched thin, we better do one of two things, either get our ass out of all these wars, or enact the draft and take some pressure off our men and women doing the fighting now.

If you love this country, you'll put up with the draft and go do your duty. If you hate this country, you'll slither your coward ass off to Canada. But if you think this Iraq war isn't popular now, and it's not, wait until they enact a draft. You'll see anti war protests like you've never seen before.

We need to fight, or come home. This business we're tangled up in, in Iraq is just wrong. We got no business there, unless we're shock and awe style kicking the shit out of someone. Who the hell appointed America middle east nation builder? Where does it say we're supposed to be doing stuff like that in our constitution?