PDA

View Full Version : Month of April Contest!

jimnyc
03-27-2008, 08:25 AM
To promote activity within the forum I am going to holding a month long contest for the duration of April. The winner will receive $50 via Paypal.

You'll have an opportunity to win by doing what you already do, which is to participate on our forums. The more you participate, the better chance you have of winning.

Here is the criteria I will be using to select a winner:

Total Posts - Total posts made in the month of April

Threads Started (Total & Total Forums) - Total threads started for the month of April, and how many individual forums were used in starting these threads.

Reputation Received - Total Reputation points received for the month of April.

Reputation Given - Total Reputation given out for the month of April.

Blog Comments - Total Comments left on blog entries http://blog.debatepolicy.com

Referrers - Refer new members to the board and have a substantially better chance of winning, as I will give extra weight to this category. To read more about how to link someone to the board and receive credit for their signing up:

http://www.debatepolicy.com/faq.php?faq=vb_board_usage#faq_vb_referrals_explai n

Reputation points can and will be monitored to ensure no one tries to win via cheating. Posts and/or threads should be on topic, and not one word replies simply to add another notch to your post count. I will look at this when I sort the top posters and thread creators for the month!

The contest will start this upcoming Tuesday, April 1st. I will give a weekly update showing the top contenders.

Good luck to all!

(Shoot me a PM if you have any questions pertaining to the contest)

gabosaurus
03-27-2008, 11:46 AM
The Gabosaurus does not participate in paypal, because she doesn't trust the system.
Do carry on though. I just needed to get in that bitch. :laugh2:

jimnyc
03-27-2008, 04:44 PM
The Gabosaurus does not participate in paypal, because she doesn't trust the system.
Do carry on though. I just needed to get in that bitch. :laugh2:

It would be money you never had, so the risk of losing anything from them is minimal. You can get the funds and use them quickly, even make a donation to the board if you'd like! :laugh2:

jimnyc
05-01-2008, 08:52 AM
The contest winner is Red States Rule

He had more posts than our runner up, manfrommaine, by a few hundred posts. He also got a referral which carried extra weight. The board also calculated threads started, threads replied to, rep received, rep given and a few other categories.

Congrats to RSR for being our winner and being such an active member through the month of April.

I'd like to send some thanks to MFM, Glockmail & Pale Rider. All 3 were also very active participants on the board last month.

jimnyc
05-01-2008, 09:11 AM
I contacted RSR through PM and his initial response was for me to keep the winnings and consider it a donation from him towards board costs. I explained to him in a subsequent PM that he won fair and square, and if he wants to contribute, that's fine, but let me send him half at least and that would be MORE than fair, but he still won't give me an address to send it to and states again to use it towards the board.

Whether you agree with his stances or not, see him as a friend or not, I thought this was a classy move to make, and thought I would share with the board.

jimnyc
05-01-2008, 09:12 AM
BTW - I am going to peek around the larger "community" to see if there are any types of enhancements I can add to the board. If I can find something useful for us, or something that will make our experience here better, I will use the funds towards that.

LiberalNation
05-01-2008, 09:51 AM
Shit I'd take the money. LN needs a new cellphone (the next top item on my graduation wish list) as well as the laptop. I don't have so much time to play here tho.................

glockmail
05-01-2008, 09:58 AM
I contacted RSR through PM and his initial response was for me to keep the winnings and consider it a donation from him towards board costs. I explained to him in a subsequent PM that he won fair and square, and if he wants to contribute, that's fine, but let me send him half at least and that would be MORE than fair, but he still won't give me an address to send it to and states again to use it towards the board.

Whether you agree with his stances or not, see him as a friend or not, I thought this was a classy move to make, and thought I would share with the board.

RSR is Classact? :eek:

Way to go RSR! :salute:

glockmail
05-01-2008, 09:59 AM
Shit I'd take the money. LN needs a new cellphone (the next top item on my graduation wish list) as well as the laptop. I don't have so much time to play here tho.................

You still owe Jim the money for the bet that you lost and then welched on. :slap:

LiberalNation
05-01-2008, 10:02 AM
He said he wouldn't take it at one time during the discussion, and just wanted me to admit to being wrong, that enough for me. I don't have no monies.

Quit happy to take any handouts I can get. Who wants class when you can have "stuff".

remie
05-01-2008, 11:28 AM
He said he wouldn't take it at one time during the discussion, and just wanted me to admit to being wrong, that enough for me. I don't have no monies.

Quit happy to take any handouts I can get. Who wants class when you can have "stuff".

Hush up girl and clean up some more poop. That will earn ya some dough. :poke:

Abbey Marie
05-01-2008, 12:54 PM
Congrats RSR! :clap:

glockmail
05-01-2008, 01:06 PM

Quit happy to take any handouts I can get. Who wants class when you can have "stuff". Here's proof that if the subject is dumb enough, you can catch them by simply digging a hole and leaving it open for them to fall in to. :laugh2:

hjmick
05-01-2008, 01:18 PM
Who wants class when you can have "stuff".

I do. Long after I'm dead, people will remember that I had class. Perhaps that will inspire one person to live similarly. Then maybe, just maybe, that person will inspire someone else. And so on...

I'd rather be thought of as a person of good character than just a collector of "stuff."

What good is "stuff?" It's just..."stuff."

manu1959
05-01-2008, 01:32 PM
I do. Long after I'm dead, people will remember that I had class. Perhaps that will inspire one person to live similarly. Then maybe, just maybe, that person will inspire someone else. And so on...

I'd rather be thought of as a person of good character than just a collector of "stuff."

What good is "stuff?" It's just..."stuff."

class will live forever....stuff is taken to the dump......

Abbey Marie
05-01-2008, 01:54 PM
Looks like someone figured this out a looong time ago:

"A good reputation is more valuable than money. "

Publilius Syrus
(~100 BC)

glockmail
05-01-2008, 01:58 PM
Looks like someone figured this out a looong time ago:

"A good reputation is more valuable than money. "

Publilius Syrus
(~100 BC)

Any relation to Mylie? Kind of ironic, ain't it?

Abbey Marie
05-01-2008, 02:01 PM
Any relation to Mylie? Kind of ironic, ain't it?

Great irony!

(fyi, she spells it Cyrus).

red states rule
05-01-2008, 03:47 PM

Thank you Jim

But I do not see what the big deal is. It costs you money to keep the board going, and I enjoy posting here. So why not let you keep the $50 and put it toward expenses?

I appreciate the complements, and I am sure you find new ways to improve the board

LiberalNation
05-01-2008, 04:12 PM

You wont live forever tho, class wont do you much good when your dead neither.

Kathianne
05-01-2008, 06:08 PM

Well said. Nearly all the 'privileged' people I know make others feel comfortable. It's nearly always 'climbers' that haven't mastered that yet.

Here are 2 of the best compliments I've received, though I've never been what I would consider 'classy':

"I know you have a lot of education, but you don't make me feel like I don't have enough to argue with you."

~Given to me by a parent who is an immigrant.

"You are the only friend I have that doesn't make me feel 'poor' because I can't do the stuff everyone else is doing."

~Given to me by a friend when her husband lost his job in the 80's and her daughters were 1 & 3. At the time I was married and we were doing well. Only acquaintances, she'd called me when her car engine caught fire while driving her older daughter to preschool. She couldn't afford the tow. I picked her up, drove the daughter to school, and got the car towed. We spent lots of time at both our houses with the kids playing. She's helped me out so many times since then. ;)

manu1959
05-01-2008, 10:15 PM
You wont live forever tho, class wont do you much good when your dead neither.

people will remember my class.....they will not remember my stuff......well except for my custom porsche targa ....they will remember that.....

LiberalNation
05-02-2008, 12:29 AM
In 100 years no one will remember you, unless your really sme big time figure that gona be historical and we just don't know.

glockmail
05-02-2008, 07:43 AM
My childern, grandchildren and hopefully, greatgrandchildren will remember me. They will tell stories of how classy I was and so my memory will go on long after your stuff has been landfilled.