PDA

View Full Version : Iraqi Prime Minister Says No Retreat

Pale Rider
03-27-2008, 11:17 AM
Iraqi Prime Minister Says No Retreat

2008-03-27 10:58:12
By KIM GAMEL Associated Press Writer

BAGHDAD (AP) — Iraq's prime minister vowed Thursday to fight "until the end" against Shiite militias in Basra despite protests by tens of thousands of followers of a radical cleric in Baghdad and deadly clashes across the capital and the oil-rich south.

Mounting anger focused on Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki, who is personally overseeing operations against the militias dominated by Muqtada al-Sadr's supporters amid a violent power struggle in Basra, Iraq's southern oil hub.

The Iraqi leader made his pledge to tribal leaders in the Basra area as military operations continued for a fourth day with stiff resistance.

"We have made up our minds to enter this battle and we will continue until the end. No retreat," he said in a speech broadcast on Iraqi state TV.

The events threatened to unravel a Mahdi Army cease-fire and lead to a dramatic escalation in violence after a period of relative calm that had lasted for months.

Story continues here... (http://www.charter.net/news/news_reader.php?storyid=14507190&feedid=14)

Pale Rider
03-27-2008, 11:22 AM
Here we go... you think there's going to be a troop drawn down? Guess again... mccain is going to get his wish, 100 more years of war.

Anyone thinking ANYWHERE in the middle east is capable of having peace, you must be absolutely off your rocker. They've been fighting and killing each other for thousands of years... WE are NOT going to STOP THAT!.... Even in Iraq.

So ask yourself.... should we stay there en mass and continue to have troops killed, or get the hell out of there?

And just to add, experts have estimated that even if we pulled out now, the long term costs of this war could reach THREE TRILLION DOLLARS!!! Is it really worth it? Does anyone have any inclining of an idea HOW MUCH MONEY THAT IS???!!! Do you have any inclining of an idea WHAT WE COULD HAVE DONE IN AMERICA WITH ALL THAT MONEY???!!!

This war is a fucking MISTAKE!

5stringJeff
03-28-2008, 04:44 PM
The fact that Iraqi troops are taking up the fight is good evidence that American troops are no longer necessary to secure the Iraqi peace.

Yurt
03-28-2008, 04:56 PM
i think i read he "extended" the deadline

i also think he has a deadline because US troops back him up. the iraqi government has little power. unfortunately, it seems to me, that the people living there need an iron fist to rule them.

Gaffer
03-28-2008, 08:44 PM
He's finally taking the steps he should have taken years ago. He's going after sadr with everything he's got.

It's the second phase of the surge. The part where the iraqi government goes after the shite militia. The sunnis have been brought around and AQ has been crippled. It's time for the big finale. He has to take down sadr and his militia or its all over for his government. There's going to be some major fighting now. And the US is only there in a support role. Just the way it was suppose to work. There will always be fighting there. But it will not be to the extent we see now.

Pale Rider
03-28-2008, 11:15 PM
The fact that Iraqi troops are taking up the fight is good evidence that American troops are no longer necessary to secure the Iraqi peace.

i think i read he "extended" the deadline

i also think he has a deadline because US troops back him up. the iraqi government has little power. unfortunately, it seems to me, that the people living there need an iron fist to rule them.

He's finally taking the steps he should have taken years ago. He's going after sadr with everything he's got.

It's the second phase of the surge. The part where the iraqi government goes after the shite militia. The sunnis have been brought around and AQ has been crippled. It's time for the big finale. He has to take down sadr and his militia or its all over for his government. There's going to be some major fighting now. And the US is only there in a support role. Just the way it was suppose to work. There will always be fighting there. But it will not be to the extent we see now.

Well, now there's this....

Bush: Iraq Violence a Defining Moment

2008-03-28 18:17:25
By TERENCE HUNT AP White House Correspondent

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Bush declared on Friday that Iraq stands at a defining moment as it struggles to put down heavily armed Shiite militias in new flare-ups of violence that threaten to undercut security gains and sway his decision about U.S. troop drawdowns.

In Baghdad, Shiite extremists lobbed rockets and mortars against the U.S.-protected Green Zone, which has come under steady barrages this week. The U.S. sent a Hellfire missile into a Shiite stronghold in the city. And in the south, fighting escalated in Basra where the mettle of Iraqi security forces is being sorely tested.

"Any government that presumes to represent the majority of people must confront criminal elements or people who think they can live outside the law," Bush said at the White House. "And that's what's taking place in Basra and in other parts of Iraq. I would say this is a defining moment in the history of a free Iraq."

It's also a key juncture for Bush in the five-year-old war that has claimed 4,000 American lives, worn U.S. forces thin and dominated his presidency.

http://charter.net/news/news_reader.php?storyid=14510894&feedid=14

Psychoblues
05-18-2008, 11:49 PM
Maybe they're just fuckin' with the troops? Sheesh, you cats will believe anything!!!!!!

Psychoblues
05-21-2008, 12:29 AM
No additional comment? Interesting.