PDA

View Full Version : Condi's interested in the Veep!

glockmail
03-27-2008, 04:11 PM
Its pretty much all whispers at this stage, but I just got an email from Ron Kesler that she has 'let it be known in GOP circles that she would condsider if asked'.

That would slam the door shut on BHO or HRC in one fell swoop! :coffee:

Pale Rider
03-27-2008, 04:33 PM
Its pretty much all whispers at this stage, but I just got an email from Ron Kesler that she has 'let it be known in GOP circles that she would condsider if asked'.

I like her... she'd be an excellent person to have on a ticket with mccain. It would actually make voting for him easier for me.

jimnyc
03-27-2008, 04:43 PM
I'm no political analyst, but I know I would feel great if this decision was made. I think Condi is confident, and should be, as she's extremely intelligent & well traveled. I think she would be the best choice for McCain.

Little-Acorn
03-27-2008, 04:44 PM
I know zip about Condi Rice's positions, politics, philosophy etc.

Her job so far, has been to promote the US Govt's position on matters, to foreign governments as needed and requested. She works for George Bush, and does what he says. Whether she happens to approve of it or not.

If he asks her to support a certain program with a foreign government, and she doesn't personally like the program, she can discuss her differences with W all she wants. If she can persuade him to a different course, fine. But whether he changes his mind or not, her job is to ultimately treat foreign governments the way he tells her to treat them. If she's got STRONG objections to something, she can ultimately resign. She hasn't done that.

But how does she feel about tax cuts? Border security? The military? The Iraq war? Bosnia, Korea, Iran? RKBA? Government-provided health care, retirement, welfare etc.? I have no idea. I can look up what she has supported... but she was doing that as her job, not necessarily out of personal conviction.

It would be odd if she turned out to be VERY opposed to many major Bush agenda items. He picked her as NSA earlier, of course, so he apparently thinks her advice and ideas are good. (He thought that about Harriet Miers, too, another otherwise-unknown). But it could happen. Devil is in the details, and I don't know any of them about Condi Rice.

Hell, she may make a great VP for McCain, for all I know. Maybe she agrees with ME on every last issue. But I don't know.

As far as "electability" goes, I guess she'd be good, being a black woman. Also, she is apparently very intelligent and with experience in foreign affairs. But many black women would have similar electability. What about Janice Rogers Brown? I know more about Brown than Condi, frankly. But I don't know enough about either, to tell if they'd make a good VP or Prez.

P.S. Who is Ron Kesler, and why should we care what he thinks about Condi's intentions?

glockmail
03-27-2008, 04:59 PM
L-A: Kessler writes the "Washington Insider" column for NewsMax.com. He has some insight in her positions, especially about abortion, in todays article. http://www.newsmax.com/kessler/condoleezza_rice_vp/2008/03/27/83512.html

Jim: You forgot to mention that she has great legs. Brown sugah, baby!

Pale: Before long you'll be in our camp. I'm confident. :beer:

Pale Rider
03-27-2008, 05:01 PM
I know zip about Condi Rice's positions, politics, philosophy etc.

But how does she feel about tax cuts? Border security? The military? The Iraq war? Bosnia, Korea, Iran? RKBA? Government-provided health care, retirement, welfare etc.? I have no idea. I can look up what she has supported... but she was doing that as her job, not necessarily out of personal conviction.

True... I don't know any of that either. I'm sure we'll be finding out if her name comes up much more.

(She has to be republican at least.... :dunno:)

glockmail
03-27-2008, 05:08 PM
The first time I saw her was during the GOP convention in 2000. I was very impressed with her, her speech and her stated positions. I told my wife then that we were looking at a future Presidential candidate.

Reading about her postion on abortion in the Kessler column, she exhibits the same level of pragmatic thought that she's demonstarted on other issues.

manu1959
03-27-2008, 05:10 PM
my wife just put four mcain signs in our front lawn.......whit condi in black marker written underneath.....:laugh2:

glockmail
03-27-2008, 05:12 PM
Yo baby! Show us some tits, er, I mean some pics! :salute:

Pale Rider
03-27-2008, 05:13 PM
my wife just put four mcain signs in our front lawn.......whit condi in black marker written underneath....

You ought to have protesters marching back and forth in front of your house by tomorrow morning then... :laugh2:

manu1959
03-27-2008, 05:16 PM
You ought to have protesters marching back and forth in front of your house by tomorrow morning then... :laugh2:

actually i live on a court....and except for the tree huggers across the street we are a little red oasis in a sea of blue arrogance.....

besides they are all busy down at the cross memorial.....

Little-Acorn
03-27-2008, 05:26 PM
Kessler's entire article. The las half has some interesting stuff about her views. Especially where she says she doesn't think the Fed should be imposing its views about abortion, on everybody. That implies an overturning of Roe v. Wade... and possibly a belief that Roe was a decision unsupported by the Constitution. It's a very conservative thing for her to say.

------------------------------

http://www.newsmax.com/kessler/condoleezza_rice_vp/2008/03/27/83512.html

Condoleezza Rice Would Consider VP Job

Thursday, March 27, 2008 1:50 PM

By: Ronald Kessler Article Font Size

Despite saying she wants to return to Stanford University, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice has let it be known in Republican circles that she would consider running for vice president if asked.

One source told Newsmax that she expressed interest in the possibility when Rudy Giuliani was running for president. Another source said she has more recently let her interest be known discreetly within top Republican circles, presumably including John McCain’s camp.

Fueling speculation that she would consider being on the ticket, Rice appeared for the first time this week at the so-called Wednesday meeting run by Grover Norquist, president of Americans for Tax Reform. Rice spoke for 20 minutes at the off-the-record meeting of conservative leaders, then took questions for 20 minutes.

Presidential candidates, White House aides, Cabinet officers, and members of Congress routinely speak to the group, but the talks generally are far shorter. In her talk, Rice stuck to foreign policy. When asked about her future, she said she plans to teach at Stanford, where she was once provost, and she plans to write a book.

Asked for comment, an aide to Rice said it was “not true” that she has expressed interest in a run and pointed to what she said at the Wednesday meeting about intending to return to Stanford.

“No one can accurately say she was encouraging it or that she expressed interest, as your two sources apparently told you,” the aide said. “That is wrong. Her answer [about being interested in running for vice president] was clearly and unambiguously negative.”

In general, possible vice presidential candidates never want to appear to be running for the job. What Rice has done is make it clear she would not shut the door on a possible candidacy.

“She would be a good vice presidential candidate because she would be a good president,” Norquist commented to Newsmax.

While conservatives generally like the idea of her running on a ticket with McCain, their only concern is her stand on abortion. In a 2005 interview with The Washington Times, Rice described herself as “mildly pro-choice” and a libertarian on the abortion issue.

“I’m a strong proponent of parental choice, of parental notification,” Rice said then. “I’m a strong proponent of a ban on late-term abortion. These are all things that I think unite people, and I think that that’s where we should be.”

Rice said she is “very comfortable with the president’s view that we have to respect and need to have a culture that respects life. This should be an issue pretty infrequently because we ought to have a culture that says Who wants to have an abortion? Who wants to see a daughter or a friend or, you know, a sibling go through something like that?”

Rice then said that we “have to respect the culture of life, and we have to try and bring people to have respect for it and make this as rare a circumstance as possible.”

She went on to say that she does not think the federal government should be “forcing its views on one side or the other. So, for instance, I’ve tended to agree with those who do not favor federal funding for abortion, because I believe that those who hold a strong moral view on the other side should not be forced to fund it.”

When the interviewer said it sounds as if she does not want to change the laws on abortion, Rice responded, “Well, I don’t spend my entire life thinking about these issues. You know, I spend my time really thinking about the foreign policy issues. But you know that I’m a deeply religious person and so, from my point of view, these extremely difficult moral issues where we have — where we’re facing issues with technology and the prolongation of life and the fact that very, very young babies are able to survive now . . . very small babies are able to survive . . . these are great moral issues.”

“I’m a minister’s daughter,” Rice once told me. “I [pray] 10 times a day. It’s the most natural thing in the world. Sometimes, I pray out loud when alone. I’ll say a quick prayer on my way to play piano.”

manu1959
03-27-2008, 05:37 PM
abortion isn't a federal issue.....it is a state issue......let the people vote and decide....same with gay marriage....

CockySOB
03-27-2008, 05:41 PM
Last I remember, Condi had been asked specifically if she was interested in eithe POTUS or VPOTUS positions and she had emphatically said, "no."

If she's changed her mind, I'll be overjoyed. Everything I've read about her indicates she'll be more conservative than McCain, so a ticket with her as VP to McCain's POTUS makes me a very happy camper.

diuretic
03-27-2008, 06:28 PM
What a fricking joke! She was an incompetent national security advisor, she's way out of her depth as Secretary of State but I suppose if the VP after Cheney went back to its usual somnorific state then she'd be qualified to occupy the office! :laugh2:

The Peter Principle at work! :laugh2:

Abbey Marie
03-27-2008, 08:26 PM
What a fricking joke! She was an incompetent national security advisor, she's way out of her depth as Secretary of State but I suppose if the VP after Cheney went back to its usual somnorific state then she'd be qualified to occupy the office! :laugh2:

Got any examples of this enormous incompetencey and lack of depth? Perhaps the Aussie papers report things that we don't hear?

manu1959
03-27-2008, 08:35 PM

name the last competent national security advisor......

Yurt
03-27-2008, 09:28 PM
name the last competent national security advisor......

sandy berger.......he competently stole documents in order to save billy's backside

Gaffer
03-27-2008, 09:30 PM
sandy berger.......he competently stole documents in order to save billy's backside

He said competent, not just the last one.

Ahhhh the invisible ink trick.

Yurt
03-27-2008, 09:34 PM
He said competent, not just the last one.

Ahhhh the invisible ink trick.

:lol:

when i was in junior high they came out with that "ink" that you could "spill" on someone and then watch them freak out .......then five minutes it was gone...i've never been the same since

diuretic
03-28-2008, 05:16 AM
Got any examples of this enormous incompetencey and lack of depth? Perhaps the Aussie papers report things that we don't hear?

So, what has she achieved in any of her positions in the Bush Administration?

Abbey Marie
03-28-2008, 03:01 PM
So, what has she achieved in any of her positions in the Bush Administration?

Nah, I asked you first. :) Where is all this incompetence and lack of depth?

diuretic
03-28-2008, 05:30 PM
Nah, I asked you first. :) Where is all this incompetence and lack of depth?

Let me put it this way. If I were hiring her I'd ask for evidence of achievement. I don't see any in her current role or in her previous roles.

Puff pieces about playing the piano or speaking Russian don't mean a lot to me, just as I choose to ignore that she was shopping for shoes when something bad happened (shows you how my ignorance valve works so well, I can't even remember what bad thing happened when she was buying shoes, it's not relevant).

If she has a cheer squad and she's so good I would think it wouldn't be too hard to find evidence of achievement. :)

glockmail
03-28-2008, 06:56 PM
Let me put it this way. If I were hiring her I'd ask for evidence of achievement. I don't see any in her current role or in her previous roles.

Puff pieces about playing the piano or speaking Russian don't mean a lot to me, just as I choose to ignore that she was shopping for shoes when something bad happened (shows you how my ignorance valve works so well, I can't even remember what bad thing happened when she was buying shoes, it's not relevant).

If she has a cheer squad and she's so good I would think it wouldn't be too hard to find evidence of achievement. :)

You were the one who accussed her of incompetance. Give us proof.

diuretic
03-28-2008, 07:05 PM
You were the one who accussed her of incompetance. Give us proof.

Oh okay, if you insist. I still think that you lot who think she's any good at her job(s) will have to provide evidence of your own claims but I'll back mine up:

http://time-blog.com/middle_east/2008/03/condis_salvage_mission.html

It seemed like the most craven of climb-downs. If you listen to Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice’s remarks today in Jerusalem, it sounded like Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas had reversed a statement made less than 24 hours before in which he vowed not to re-start peace talks until the Israelis agreed on a truce with militants in Gaza. According to Rice, Abbas “intended to resume negotiations”.

The view from Ramallah wasn’t so black and white, as usual. Insiders say Rice, in heated talks yesterday with Abbas, threatened to cut off all international aid and support to the Palestinian Authority. Privately, Palestinian advisers say that Abbas was aghast at how Rice had failed to understand the level of outrage in the Arab world, and particularly among Palestinians, over the heavy civilian casualties that resulted in Israel’s fierce air and ground assault last week in Gaza.

more

As a sop to Rice, and no doubt to avoid any withholding of money to the Palestinian Authority in a fit of pique, Abbas agreed to a “face-saver” for Rice. This way, she wouldn’t have to return to the White House empty-handed. And that face-saver was that the Palestinians would agree to sit in on three-way talks with an American general who is supposed to be assessing –-think of a mid-term Report Card—how well the Israelis and the Palestinians are complying with the conditions laid down in the Bush’s dusty and long-neglected Road Map. It’s hard to imagine that the meeting will yield anything but ugly, mutual recriminations. Beyond that, Abbas will agree to nothing. He has his own ‘face’ to save among Palestinians,not to mention his skin..

A fit of pique. I bet she slammed down her Manolo Blahniks and gave it good to Abbas.

Incompetent, as I said. Now, your turn, show me competence.

Dilloduck
03-28-2008, 07:08 PM
Oh okay, if you insist. I still think that you lot who think she's any good at her job(s) will have to provide evidence of your own claims but I'll back mine up:

more

A fit of pique. I bet she slammed down her Manolo Blahniks and gave it good too Abbas.

Not being able to make the Israelis and Arabs stop fighting is a sign of imcompetence ? You sure you wanna make that claim ?

diuretic
03-28-2008, 07:13 PM
Not being able to make the Israelis and Arabs stop fighting is a sign of imcompetence ? You sure you wanna make that claim ?

I didn't make that claim. You're creating a strawman, in fact you just might have enough straw there to make your own scarecrow.

I pointed out her inability to negotiate with Abbas as is reported in the extract I posted. That was in response to a demand to provide evidence of incompetence. I'm now waiting for evidence of competence from those who want to hop in and have a go. I know people have other things to do and it's not easy trying to prove a negative claim, that she isn't incompetent, so I'll not be fussed if it takes a while.

Dilloduck
03-28-2008, 07:15 PM
I didn't make that claim. You're creating a strawman, in fact you just might have enough straw there to make your own scarecrow.

I pointed out her inability to negotiate with Abbas as is reported in the extract I posted. That was in response to a demand to provide evidence of incompetence. I'm now waiting for evidence of competence from those who want to hop in and have a go. I know people have other things to do and it's not easy trying to prove a negative claim, that she isn't incompetent, so I'll not be fussed if it takes a while.

I'll relent and try again---Not being able to negotiate with Abbas is a sign of incompetence ?

diuretic
03-28-2008, 07:23 PM
I'll relent and try again---Not being able to negotiate with Abbas is a sign of incompetence ?

Negotiating requires more than bullying and threats to one or both parties in a dispute. A competent Secretary of State would have a clearly laid out and realistic objective and a plan to achieve that objective and further plans to meet further objectives until the eventual aim was reached. I know peace in the Middle East is a difficult aim, but it's not going to be achieved by threatening one or both parties in negotiations. The report indicates Abbas has to provide a "face saver" for Rice. That implies that she made an error that requires some sort of face-saving device. That demonstrates to be a lack of competence.

As I said, I've me the challenge thrown out to me. I'm waiting for a evidence in the claim that Rice was/is competent in any of the jobs she has had under the Bush Administration.

Gaffer
03-28-2008, 08:14 PM
I really don't know how competent she is. Or if she will make a good VP. I do know they are going about it all wrong with the ME issue. It's really a very easy thing to do. Just tell all the arabs they get no more money until they recognize Israel and sit down to talks and make agreements. The problems stem from only one side over there, and that side needs to have its tree shook.

glockmail
03-28-2008, 08:58 PM

more

A fit of pique. I bet she slammed down her Manolo Blahniks and gave it good to Abbas.

You back up your assertion with a blog? Now that's incompetance! :laugh2:

diuretic
03-28-2008, 10:42 PM
You back up your assertion with a blog? Now that's incompetance! :laugh2:

I assume then that you are going to sit on the sidelines and cackle rather than enter the thread? :laugh2:

I'm still waiting for evidence of her competence in any of the jobs she's done for Bush. So far I've seen nothing.

Bueller? Anyone?

Kathianne
03-28-2008, 10:51 PM
I assume then that you are going to sit on the sidelines and cackle rather than enter the thread? :laugh2:

I'm still waiting for evidence of her competence in any of the jobs she's done for Bush. So far I've seen nothing.

Bueller? Anyone?

I'm not going deep on this one. I will say I was more impressed with her prior to SOS. I think she's done poorly and would not consider her an asset.

jimnyc
03-29-2008, 05:46 AM
When I hear "incompetent" I think it's about someone who can't do their job effectively, or doesn't even know how. Someone with deficiencies, or "lacking qualifications".

Condoleeza Rice does not come to mind when I hear that word. Could she have handled certain things better at certain times? Sure. But that hardly makes her incompetent. She is highly qualified for the work she does and has been applauded by colleagues on both sides of the aisle.

I won't go over the long list of educational accomplishments as that doesn't really cover her career in the Bush administration, although one reading it wouldn't think of it as a biography of an "incompetent person".

She's met many times with every leader in the East and I don't see them complaining about her abilities or effectiveness.

As for a few accomplishments showing her to be competent:

In 2005 she initiated the Gaza withdrawal by persuading Israel to leave settlements in Gaza and the West Bank.

She negotiated the open borders deal for the Gaza Border.

Ah hell, just go to this page, and specifically these excerpts to read her accomplishments.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condoleezza_Rice#Major_initiatives
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condoleezza_Rice#Regional_issues

diuretic
03-30-2008, 02:20 AM
Puff pieces. Activity isn't achievement.

jimnyc
03-30-2008, 07:33 AM
Puff pieces. Activity isn't achievement.

They aren't puff pieces, they are factual events. She hasn't done less than what prior personnel in her position has done. She has the ability and knowledge to advise on important foreign relations matters, as well as meet with world leaders and has worked on many peace initiatives. In this day and age of accusations, you would think the Democrats would be all over it if they felt she was "incompetent", as would the many leaders she has had dealings with. I'm sorry, but you've not shown her to be incompetent in any way, shape or form. All she needs to do to remain "competent" is to be able to perform the functions of her job.

Dilloduck
03-30-2008, 07:43 AM
JERUSALEM - Israel has pledged to remove 50 West Bank roadblocks as part of a package to improve everyday life for Palestinians, U.S. officials said Sunday.

The officials, traveling with Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, said Israel and the Palestinians also have agreed that Palestinian security forces in the West Bank must assume "greater responsibility."

Israel maintains hundreds of roadblocks and checkpoints in the West Bank. Israel says the measures are needed for security. But the Palestinians say the restrictions are stifling their economy.

The new steps were announced Sunday after Rice met with Israel's defense minister, Ehud Barak, and Palestinian Prime Minister Salam Fayyad.

The U.S. says the latest agreements "will improve the daily lives of Palestinians and help make Israel secure."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080330/ap_on_re_mi_ea/us_mideast

diuretic
03-30-2008, 07:56 AM
They aren't puff pieces, they are factual events. She hasn't done less than what prior personnel in her position has done. She has the ability and knowledge to advise on important foreign relations matters, as well as meet with world leaders and has worked on many peace initiatives. In this day and age of accusations, you would think the Democrats would be all over it if they felt she was "incompetent", as would the many leaders she has had dealings with. I'm sorry, but you've not shown her to be incompetent in any way, shape or form. All she needs to do to remain "competent" is to be able to perform the functions of her job.

She's busy, I'll give her that. But I stand by my view that she (a) isn't competent and (b) has achieved very little, if anything, of substance.

As for the Dems getting at her - I believe they may be, er, distracted at this stage.

http://thinkprogress.org/2008/03/28/rice-this-tough/

Gaffer
03-30-2008, 07:57 AM

Stifle what economy? The only thing they produce are suicide bombers. The road blocks stifle the entry of murdering thugs.

diuretic
03-30-2008, 07:58 AM

That's good, it could be an achievement for her.

diuretic
03-31-2008, 03:54 AM
http://tinyurl.com/2bt6mp

US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice has branded Zimbabwe's President a "disgrace" to his people and to Africa, and expressed concerns about verifying whether the country held free and fair elections.

Good for her.

GW in Ohio
04-02-2008, 07:54 AM

Condi for VP.......well, wouldn't that be just peachy? :salute::dance::salute:

One of the chief enablers of the failed Bush foreign policy running with a guy (McCain) who says, "If you liked the foreign policy of the last 8 years, elect me. I'll give you more of the same."

Would Americans be stupid enough to elect a McCain-Rice team? (The mind reels at the thought.)

Stay tuned, sports fans.....

jimnyc
04-02-2008, 07:59 AM
One of the chief enablers of the failed Bush foreign policy running with a guy (McCain) who says, "If you liked the foreign policy of the last 8 years, elect me. I'll give you more of the same."

Would Americans be stupid enough to elect a McCain-Rice team? (The mind reels at the thought.)

Stay tuned, sports fans.....

This is why the left always looks like retards, they like to invent "quotes" to justify their warped views.

GW in Ohio
04-02-2008, 09:27 AM
This is why the left always looks like retards, they like to invent "quotes" to justify their warped views.

Is McCain repudiating the Bush foreign policy?

Is he saying now that Iraq was a gigantic fuckaround and that Bush and Cheney are morons?

I missed that......

jimnyc
04-02-2008, 09:59 AM
Is McCain repudiating the Bush foreign policy?

Is he saying now that Iraq was a gigantic fuckaround and that Bush and Cheney are morons?

I missed that......

Did McCain speak the words you attributed to him? Is that what the left supporters do when they don't hear what they want to hear, just make stuff up?

GW in Ohio
04-02-2008, 10:04 AM
Did McCain speak the words you attributed to him? Is that what the left supporters do when they don't hear what they want to hear, just make stuff up?

Cut the crap. Jim. McCain has supported the Bush Iraq policy and the Bush foreign policy from the get-go.

The issue in this election is: If you like the Bush foreign policy...if you think the invasion of Iraq was a good idea, vote for McCain because he will continue the Bush policies.

jimnyc
04-02-2008, 10:48 AM
Cut the crap. Jim. McCain has supported the Bush Iraq policy and the Bush foreign policy from the get-go.

The issue in this election is: If you like the Bush foreign policy...if you think the invasion of Iraq was a good idea, vote for McCain because he will continue the Bush policies.

Fair enough...

Nobody should vote for Clinton or Obama. Clinton stated "I will purposely steal money from those who have earned higher wealth and give it away to lazy people and drug addicts". And Obama stated "Vote for me, I have learned much from my racists preacher and I need to have the power to embolden my views of the horrible white people in America and devote my time to my homeland, Africa".

I like this! We just take things we believe, take others out of context, make up quotes and go WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Hagbard Celine
04-02-2008, 10:50 AM
Condi Rice is the weakest Secretary of State this country has ever had. Putting her in the position of Vice President would be a joke.

jimnyc
04-02-2008, 10:52 AM
Condi Rice is the weakest Secretary of State this country has ever had. Putting her in the position of Vice President would be a joke.

The joke is the racist supporter leading the Dem pack...

Tell us specifically what Condi has done to make her "weak".

GW in Ohio
04-02-2008, 11:06 AM

Stop and think about this a minute......

The McCain-Rice ticket wins. McCain is president and two months after he's inaugurated he keels over, dead.

Condi Rice is president. Condi Rice's government experience up to that moment has consisted of telling George Bush what a great man he is, and making coffee for Cheney.

Millions of Americans....and Condi Rice herself.....are going:

Condi Rice is President? What the fuck are we gonna do now? Is there anybody here who knows how to run this country?

Hello?

jimnyc
04-02-2008, 11:09 AM
I'm a bit clueless when it comes to politics, so I just make shit up that sounds good.

Honestly, I really don't care what your thoughts are of Condi. My problem was you attributing direct quotes to people that they never stated. I'm glad to learn you don't take issue with people doing this.

Hagbard Celine
04-02-2008, 11:10 AM

What's more important is what she has not done. She was incompetent and unable to affectively compete with Rumsfeld and Cheney as the Nat'l Security Advisor and she has been ineffective in her post as Secretary of State not because she is unqualified, but because she simply refuses to do anything other than parrot the Bush administration agenda. Colin Powell was tossed-out because he wouldn't play along and the administration replaced him with a passive figure who would.
The secretary of state should be someone who exhibits power and who is respected internationally. Condi Rice is recognized as nothing more than a Bush Administration marionette.

jimnyc
04-02-2008, 11:13 AM
The secretary of state should be someone who exhibits power and who is respected internationally.

Are you stating she is NOT respected internationally? Can you supply me with some links of world leaders and world politicians who disrespect her?

hjmick
04-02-2008, 11:30 AM
Condi Rice's government experience up to that moment has consisted of telling George Bush what a great man he is, and making coffee for Cheney.

First let me say that I will not address how sexist, condescending, and borderline racist this statement is. Actually, I guess I just did...

That being said...

Please, GW, enlighten all of us, just what, exactly, makes Hillary or Obama any more qualified for the office than Condi?

GW in Ohio
04-02-2008, 11:50 AM
First let me say that I will not address how sexist, condescending, and borderline racist this statement is. Actually, I guess I just did...

That being said...

Please, GW, enlighten all of us, just what, exactly, makes Hillary or Obama any more qualified for the office than Condi?

Ummmmmmmmmm.....

They're not Bush toadies?

hjmick
04-02-2008, 12:02 PM
Ummmmmmmmmm.....

They're not Bush toadies?

That's it? That's all you've got? Well hell, if that's going to be your standard for selecting a candidate, let me help you out. I'll be happy to raise the qualifications. Let's see...

I've got it!

Monica Lewinsky! She's certainly qualified by your set of standards. She's no Bush toady and she has more experience in the Oval office than Obama and only slightly less (maybe as much as) Hillary!

I can't help but think that the myopia exhibited by people of both political persuasions is going to be the demise of this country.

Gaffer
04-02-2008, 12:27 PM
The secretary of state works for the president. Any agreements or understandings she makes are what the president tells her too. All secretaries of state do that, no matter what administration they work for. Is she a puppet? In a sense yes. They all are. She makes recommendations and gives advice and the president makes the decision. She then carries out the decision.

It does amaze me how many love to tell what is going on with these people when they haven't a clue what is happening or what's involved. gw seems to think he has an inside track to their minds. I think he needs to start filling us in on what goes on in these high level meetings since he has such insight.

GW in Ohio
04-02-2008, 01:27 PM
The secretary of state works for the president. Any agreements or understandings she makes are what the president tells her too. All secretaries of state do that, no matter what administration they work for. Is she a puppet? In a sense yes. They all are. She makes recommendations and gives advice and the president makes the decision. She then carries out the decision.

It does amaze me how many love to tell what is going on with these people when they haven't a clue what is happening or what's involved. gw seems to think he has an inside track to their minds. I think he needs to start filling us in on what goes on in these high level meetings since he has such insight.

What is going through their minds at staff meetings:

Cheney: "That Condi is some babe. I wonder if I dropped a few pounds, maybe she'd go out with me."

Condi: "Jesus, Cheney is such a dork. "

Bush: "[Nothing going on here]"

glockmail
04-07-2008, 08:12 AM
Puff pieces. Activity isn't achievement. You're full of shit.

glockmail
04-07-2008, 08:31 AM
Are you stating she is NOT respected internationally? Can you supply me with some links of world leaders and world politicians who disrespect her?
Once again Hag disappears! :laugh2:

diuretic
04-07-2008, 08:34 AM
You're full of shit.

As we all are. And then we void our bowels.

glockmail
04-07-2008, 08:38 AM
As we all are. And then we void our bowels. I was referring to what's between your ears. :laugh2:

mundame
04-07-2008, 11:45 AM
What's more important is what she has not done. She was incompetent and unable to affectively compete with Rumsfeld and Cheney as the Nat'l Security Advisor and she has been ineffective in her post as Secretary of State not because she is unqualified, but because she simply refuses to do anything other than parrot the Bush administration agenda. Colin Powell was tossed-out because he wouldn't play along and the administration replaced him with a passive figure who would.
The secretary of state should be someone who exhibits power and who is respected internationally. Condi Rice is recognized as nothing more than a Bush Administration marionette.

Oh, I don't know about all that, Hagbard. Rumsfeld was hard for anyone to stand up to: he stared down the President, the SecState, and the entire Joint Chiefs of Staff, all while losing the war, after all.

I don't think Colin Powell was tossed out: he left, protesting, as they do.

It's true Condi hasn't had much to do, but what COULD she do? A lame duck and disgraced presidency? The United States has no power left because of Bush; all she can do is ceremonial, but she has done that well.

I think it would be an inspired choice of John McCain's. And I agree: she might well become president rather quickly. I'm still not voting for her if this pair continued to swear they would go on and on and on and on with the war, but it would be an interesting ticket, that's for sure.

glockmail
04-07-2008, 11:48 AM
....United States has no power left because of Bush;..... That's just mindless Bush bashing, man. Surely you can do better.

mundame
04-07-2008, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by mundame http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?p=227532#post227532)
....United States has no power left because of Bush;.....

That's just mindless Bush bashing, man. Surely you can do better.

Woman. Note the mundame net name.

Okay, I can do better: The United States has little SOFT power left because of Bush (credibility, respect, cultural power), and all too little military power because Bush broke the Army, and we'd better hope nobody attacks us before we get it repaired, unless we want a draft.

glockmail
04-07-2008, 11:59 AM
Woman. Note the mundame net name.

Okay, I can do better: The United States has little SOFT power left because of Bush (credibility, respect, cultural power), and all too little military power because Bush broke the Army, and we'd better hope nobody attacks us before we get it repaired, unless we want a draft.
Man, woman, whatever. You're the only one that cares about that, apparently.

So now that France and Germany have leaders that are not subverting our will in tye UN, we are somehow less powerful? Explain.

The Army ain't broke. Who's getting in line to attack us?

mundame
04-07-2008, 12:20 PM

And you don't care. Ungallant, but I got it. http://lizzbitt.homestead.com/files/obm.gif

So now that France and Germany have leaders that are not subverting our will in tye UN, we are somehow less powerful? Explain.

Certainly they subvert our will, whenever it actually matters. They both moved heaven and earth to stop the Iraq War in the UN in October 2002; they've been..........ah, unsupportive, since. The NATO troop commitment has NOT been in helpful numbers, and their troops in both cases have orders not to fight, and they don't fight, either.

The Army ain't broke. Who's getting in line to attack us?

I fear it may be a surprise........like Dec. 7, 1941, or Sept. 11, 2001.

mundame
04-07-2008, 12:23 PM

On second thought, can I choose "whatever"? http://wade.hu/smiley/kategoriak/vegyes2/299.gif

glockmail
04-07-2008, 12:31 PM

Certainly they subvert our will, whenever it actually matters. They both moved heaven and earth to stop the Iraq War in the UN in October 2002; they've been..........ah, unsupportive, since. The NATO troop commitment has NOT been in helpful numbers, and their troops in both cases have orders not to fight, and they don't fight, either. .....
Refreshing. A liberal who admits that France and Germany used their status at the UN to subvert American interests. Of course you ignored the point, that both country's have since elected leaders who actually like the US, and Bush.

glockmail
04-07-2008, 12:32 PM
On second thought, can I choose "whatever"? http://wade.hu/smiley/kategoriak/vegyes2/299.gif Clams or sausage, whatever floats your boat, babe.

Hagbard Celine
04-07-2008, 12:58 PM
Oh, I don't know about all that, Hagbard. Rumsfeld was hard for anyone to stand up to: he stared down the President, the SecState, and the entire Joint Chiefs of Staff, all while losing the war, after all.

I don't think Colin Powell was tossed out: he left, protesting, as they do.

It's true Condi hasn't had much to do, but what COULD she do? A lame duck and disgraced presidency? The United States has no power left because of Bush; all she can do is ceremonial, but she has done that well.

I think it would be an inspired choice of John McCain's. And I agree: she might well become president rather quickly. I'm still not voting for her if this pair continued to swear they would go on and on and on and on with the war, but it would be an interesting ticket, that's for sure.

I disagree. I think the Iraq War may not have ever happened if Rice had been effective in her post as Nat'l Security Advisor and had communicated Colin Powell's as well as the CIA's positions to the president. Instead she rolled over and let Rumsfeld and the DoD spearhead the whole thing.

mundame
04-07-2008, 01:15 PM
I disagree. I think the Iraq War may not have ever happened if Rice had been effective in her post as Nat'l Security Advisor and had communicated Colin Powell's as well as the CIA's positions to the president. Instead she rolled over and let Rumsfeld and the DoD spearhead the whole thing.

I hear you, and I accept that it's not an unreasonable point of view. You are saying she isn't personally dominant enough, and nor was Bush, we now see, so it's a good argument.

I just don't share the idea that she wasn't effective in her post. I think they were ALL so eager to go to war with Iraq even before 9/11 that it was a tide that could not be turned, for what seemed to me good reasons --- boxing up problem dictators was not working at all, in fact seemed to be a fountain of youth for all of them: Kim, Qaddafi, Castro, Chavez, Hussein. So they wanted to try regime change and there were other reasons that it seemed a good idea after 9/11. (You can probably tell I supported it, sigh.)

I would guess Condi made the bad decision everyone did, given that they weren't willing to put the Powell Doctrine winning tactics in. I'm assuming, of course, that she knew there were no WMD, that was all just propaganda from everyone, same old, same old. I understood all that at the time and was a little scandalized at her "smoking gun" remark --- that seemed to be taking the propaganda a little far.

Oh, well. It wouldn't change my vote, because a McCain/Rice ticket, while interesting racially and....genderally, would still be a pair of warmongers, and what we need right now is to get OUT of the war, not further in.

Escalation....what a thought.

Nuc
04-08-2008, 04:41 AM
As a woman she's a lot sexier than Shrillary. As a Negro she's blacker than Obama. She's got my vote unless Tiger Woods or Jimi Hendrix decide to run.

Sitarro
04-08-2008, 05:08 AM
As a woman she's a lot sexier than Shrillary. As a Negro she's blacker than Obama. She's got my vote unless Tiger Woods or Jimi Hendrix decide to run.

Tiger is busy with the Grand Slam this year but he could complete that before the election......... Jimi choked to death on his own vomit a long time ago.

glockmail
04-08-2008, 05:53 AM
She's a much better musician then Hendrix was, and she is working on her golf game....

red states rule
04-08-2008, 06:33 AM
She's a much better musician then Hendrix was, and she is working on her golf game....

Based on her interviews, the only other job that would stop her from accepting the VP slot would be if she was offered the job as NFL Commisioner

She would be an excellent choice for McCain

Nuc
04-09-2008, 10:17 PM

Gimme a break about Hendrix.

But here's another fascinating thing. If she becomes Veep and McCain croaks due to an overdose of a toxic cocktail of Geritol and Viagra, she'll break through a bigger barrier than the female/black President thing.

She'll be a SINGLE President.

retiredman
04-09-2008, 10:23 PM

But here's another fascinating thing. If she becomes Veep and McCain croaks due to an overdose of a toxic cocktail of Geritol and Viagra, she'll break through a bigger barrier than the female/black President thing.

She'll be a SINGLE President.
and a closet dyke, or so I've heard.:laugh2:

Nuc
04-09-2008, 10:35 PM

THAT hasn't seemed to hurt Hillary's chances too much, but of course she puts up a solid (if ridiculous) front with Bubba.

I like Condi and it wouldn't matter to me if she's single, gay, black, female. At least she's extremely intelligent.

glockmail
04-10-2008, 07:42 AM

She'll be a SINGLE President.We've had other single presidents.

Typical of a liberal to use "gay" as an attack when he has nothing of substance.

GW in Ohio
04-10-2008, 07:48 AM
Sure, put Condi on the ticket.

Doesn't matter who's on the ticket with McCain. You could put Jesus Christ in the VP slot and Obama would win.

Who's gonna vote for a 72 year old guy who wants to carry on the Bush legacy?

(Besides the right-wing wackos around here.)

red states rule
04-10-2008, 07:51 AM

Doesn't matter who's on the ticket with McCain. You could put Jesus Christ in the VP slot and Obama would win.

(Besides the right-wing wackos around here.)

People who oppose a black racist, who like his wife, has a low opinion of Amercia; and is very weak when it comes to showing leadership

glockmail
04-10-2008, 08:07 AM

(Besides the right-wing wackos around here.) Gee you really are out of touch with reality.

red states rule
04-10-2008, 08:11 AM
Gee you really are out of touch with reality.

Isn't that a common trait with Democrat voters?

glockmail
04-10-2008, 08:21 AM
Isn't that a common trait with Democrat voters?
That's a reasonable explanation!

red states rule
04-10-2008, 08:29 AM
That's a reasonable explanation!

I am using MFM as the liberal role model :lol: