PDA

View Full Version : Overtime pay

Mr. P
03-28-2008, 08:52 PM
Does anyone have info on when this must be paid?

I am finding conflicting info. The DOL says companies with gross sales of $500,000 must pay, but with exceptions. I find other sources that say every co. must pay overtime.

manu1959
03-28-2008, 08:57 PM

I am finding conflicting info. The DOL says companies with gross sales of $500,000 must pay, but with exceptions. I find other sources that say every co. must pay overtime.

each state is different ... in california it is time and a half if more than 8 and less than 10 a day....and double time if more than 10.....if you are salaried and managment you are sol .... if you are an hourly worker.....you make cash....

Mr. P
03-28-2008, 09:04 PM
each state is different ... in california it is time and a half if more than 8 and less than 10 a day....and double time if more than 10.....if you are salaried and managment you are sol .... if you are an hourly worker.....you make cash....

Yeah, I guess the states getting in on this is why I can't find my answer...the Ga DOL site sends you to the U.S. DOL site...a big circle jerk.

hjmick
03-28-2008, 09:09 PM
...if you are salaried and managment you are sol...

Which is why I never work more than eight hours a day.

Kathianne
03-28-2008, 09:25 PM

I have a question about your question. What constitutes 'overtime'? My contract says X number of days from 7:40-2:40. I usually work from 6:30-3 at school, then put in on average 3 hours at home. During the summer whether or not I'm taking a class or two, I put in about 5 hours per day, on lesson plans and building up extra materials for units.

JohnDoe
03-28-2008, 09:36 PM
Yeah, I guess the states getting in on this is why I can't find my answer...the Ga DOL site sends you to the U.S. DOL site...a big circle jerk.

Are you talking overtime pay for holidays, thinking working Easter should be overtime pay?

Easter is not a State Holiday...

Anyway, this site might be able to help you Mr. P.

http://www.spa.ga.gov/employees/holidays.asp

jd

Mr. P
03-28-2008, 10:14 PM
I have a question about your question. What constitutes 'overtime'? My contract says X number of days from 7:40-2:40. I usually work from 6:30-3 at school, then put in on average 3 hours at home. During the summer whether or not I'm taking a class or two, I put in about 5 hours per day, on lesson plans and building up extra materials for units.

Over 40 hrs per week.. pretty sure I read teachers are out of the requirement...some other jobs too.

Kathianne
03-28-2008, 10:20 PM
Over 40 hrs per week.. pretty sure I read teachers are out of the requirement...some other jobs too.

Well that sucks, lol! Considering I'm paid for 40 weeks, but work 52. 6 hour days that are really 11 hour days? Oh well, choices and all that.

Mr. P
03-28-2008, 10:22 PM
Are you talking overtime pay for holidays, thinking working Easter should be overtime pay?

Easter is not a State Holiday...

Anyway, this site might be able to help you Mr. P.

http://www.spa.ga.gov/employees/holidays.asp

jd

Thanks JD. No that doesn't help, that's for ga State employees. I'm looking for the law on overtime pay for Jane Doe, an 9-5 m-f employee at the acme company.

Mr. P
03-28-2008, 10:26 PM
Well that sucks, lol! Considering I'm paid for 40 weeks, but work 52. 6 hour days that are really 11 hour days? Oh well, choices and all that.

Join the club...I've always been exempt from labor pay laws. It sux, but that's why we get the BIG bucks! :laugh2:

Kathianne
03-28-2008, 10:37 PM
Join the club...I've always been exempt from labor pay laws. It sux, but that's why we get the BIG bucks! :laugh2:

LOL! I was just trying to figure out how to spend that last $2. :laugh2:

Truth to tell, I felt 'rich' today. Went to Ann Taylor Loft, had a $25 gift card. Working out has paid off, got down to a size 6. Pants, $53, sweater $14.99, T-top $14.99. Got out on $53 and change. :cool:

Then met a friend for dinner, lobster. MMmmmm. She paid, in lieu of sending flowers to my dad's funeral. He would have :clap: , she said she owes me 3 more, sans my dad's message to her via dreams. ;)

Granted not 'anyone' could get away with that, but we've been best buds since we were 2 and 3. Both her parents and mine, raised us. From putting rocks and bricks on the rails of the railroad in her backyard, to smoking cigs stolen from my folks. Our moms had the knock out wars of Nixon-Kennedy, which got us to beat each other up. :laugh2:

Funny thing, she's as flaming a liberal as I am conservative. Go figure. :salute:

diuretic
03-28-2008, 10:38 PM
http://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/flsa/

Is that any use?

Mr. P
03-28-2008, 11:03 PM
http://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/flsa/

Is that any use?

Been there but didn't see that page, I'll check er out..thanks, diuretic!